Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 16

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 16 of 86 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

May I ask what Stephen King's opinion on gun ownership might be?

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Without asking him for his official public position (knowing full well that it could--and probably would--be used elsewhere,) I don't want to post anything here. I will see if he is willing to give me a quote that can be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Without asking him for his official public position (knowing full well that it could--and probably would--be used elsewhere,) I don't want to post anything here. I will see if he is willing to give me a quote that can be posted.
    “No” would be an acceptable answer from SK (even though he doesn’t seem to have any difficulty in getting into a very public political foray, legal gun ownership should be considered quite personal IMO). But I understand Ms. Mod, as it is a very politically charged topic right now and anything could and will be utilized by opposing sides. As (from my point of view) in Senator Diane Feinstein’s bill that she will introduce in January which goes far beyond reinstating the Federal Assault Weapon Ban of 1994 that lapsed. I don’t own anything that would fall under the Ban of 1994, and therefore I don’t think it lawful that I should expect a visit from police, including being photographed and fingerprinted, because of what I might own which was always considered legal to own.

It’s sad… as I believe most gun owners and second amendment supporters would agree to the reinstatement of the AWB, but when someone like Feinstein (or LaPierre to be fair) takes things to extremes, it only ends up being a fight that just puts us on both sides even more farther apart.

Isn’t it also ironic that David Gregory proved LaPierre’s point that even if there are “bans” in effect, the criminals (like David Gregory just might be, because the clip he used was considered illegal in DC where the segment was filmed, and there was no mention that it was exempt for some reason under the law) will still find ways of getting them.

I think that some type of gun control is necessary. It is really hard for me to understand why we are allowing the asault rifles ect. I think we might have to require gun owners to get liability insurance if they want to own a gun. Fewer people would own a gun if they had to pay liability insurance like a deadly car accident or drunk driving..ect. My employer forced me to move to Florida last year and we really have a problem--I dont think anyone with kids should have guns either--there's to many accidents kids accidently shooting themselfs and stuff.

I was thinking just this morning of how ironic it is that the paranoia about gun control meaning that all guns and ammunition would be banned so there is a rush on the gun stores to purchase them and the culture of fear we have developed to new heights in this country, i.e. that because so many "criminals" and other people are "out there" who have guns and might hurt us that we "have" to have guns to protect us, have in themselves become a self-fulfilling prophecy of more and more guns being in the hands of people who probably shouldn't for one reason or another have them and are doing so legally. Seems to me the only ones who are benefiting from the lack of regulation are the manufacturers and people selling guns and ammo so there's no incentive from that direction to have reasonable conversations about how to improve the system. And the system--or lack of a cohesive one to deal with this on all fronts--obviously isn't working to protect people and the idea that everyone needs to be armed to protect themselves instead of dealing with it rationally is absolutely ridiculous.

I just want to say this. I was just as horrified by the events in Newtown, CN. I still believe that if some of those teachers and esp. the principal had been armed, most of those little ones could have been saved. If an intruder came to my door, and we live on a country road, I would protect myself and my family with a firearm of choice, aim first, ask questions later.

Or, they could have still been shot and killed. Just having a gun does not ensure that you will not be shot by someone else who has one as has been proven over and over again. The idea of having firearms in schools rather than finding ways to control guns, and that does not mean totally banning all of them BTW, is beyond comprehension to me. JMO

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Step right up, see Little Egypt, she can't walk, she can't talk, butt only because she got shot in the head by a stray smokin' projectile...

...only one thin dime, the price of some bullets ..yeah, not very catchy is it, needs more *POP*, duddnit?
    This P(issed off).S(ucker).A(lert). brought to you buy The N.itwit R.ifle A.ss'ociation, where our motto is:
    ALWAYS PROUD TO BE LOUD!

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Haven't forgotten this. Have spoken with Steve and he is in the process of writing an op-ed type piece about gun control so didn't have a short answer to pass along yet. I'm thinking when that piece comes out might be a good time for me to take another vacation and have the Board shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Haven't forgotten this. Have spoken with Steve and he is in the process of writing an op-ed type piece about gun control so didn't have a short answer to pass along yet. I'm thinking when that piece comes out might be a good time for me to take another vacation and have the Board shut down.
    Oh, we do remember his last one!!!!! Calming vibes for when it does appear.

Page 16 of 86 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast