Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 17

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 17 of 86 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'm thinking when that piece comes out might be a good time for me to take another vacation and have the Board shut down.
    That made me laugh so hard I actually cried.

Haven't forgotten this. Have spoken with Steve and he is in the process of writing an op-ed type piece about gun control so didn't have a short answer to pass along yet. I'm thinking when that piece comes out might be a good time for me to take another vacation and have the Board shut down.
    Thanks for the update. Will his piece be nonfiction, fiction or romance? Just donít vacation in Chicago. They have probably the most strict gun laws in the country there, yet comprise over 5% of deaths in America caused by firearms. Go figure!

And I havenít heard much meaningful discussion on the gun issue relating to how many lives are actually saved by those who have guns and use them for protection. Or how many lives have been sacrificed because of strict gun control laws.

I have read reports that about 1/6th of people who use guns in defense believe that they saved an innocent life by doing so. If thatís true, and with a very conservative underestimate on the number of times people use guns in self-defense, we could be looking at over 13,000 lives saved each year by armed citizens. Deaths attributed to guns runs under 10,000 I believe. If we use other estimates of 1,000,000 incidents where citizens use guns to protect themselves each year, we could be talking over 165,000 lives saved.

I keep hearing about President Obama using "executive orders" to enact stricter gun laws in the event our elected officials in congress take their good old time, or don't legislate to his liking. I hope this isn't the case as I thought he was elected president, who is subject to the laws of the land... and not elected dictator.

Repeat after me, gun control laws do not mean banning ALL guns.

Have guns saved some people's lives? Probably, but they've sacrificed a lot more.

Have guns saved some people's lives? Probably, but they've sacrificed a lot more.
    ...no argument, and AGAIN-let me re-iterate, I think control of assualt weapons, extended clips et al and more in-depth screenings are necessary, I believe that taxing ammo to ridiculous lengths is knee-jerk and only penalizes those of us who responsibly own and "operate" firearms...plus, even with being a a Life Member of the NRA, I have to agree with Pat, they are way too strident at this juncture to advance a cognizant agenda...I firmly believe in the underlying beliefs , and always will-but they are being as goofy as some of the so-called "gun grabbers"....

i'd agree wholeheartedly about the taxation issue...but we already do that sort of thing to others...extra taxes on certain items...so gun owners should not feel singled out and oppressed by such maneuvers, methinks, since i'm sure they, like almost everybody else, has voted in a few 'sin' taxes through the years

i'd hate, though, if that is a route that is taken, to see taxes be levied too high...last thing we need is to further engender a black market

any monies raised should be earmarked solely to further enhance responsible gun ownership...not to harass law abiding citizens

Hyperbole? And of course not... Did I ever say they would?

But, as I have read, there is a push to limit magazines to 10 rounds. And I believe the majority of semi-auto handguns would fall outside of that limit. Citizens own about a billion magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, and the majority of widely owned firearms come standard from the factory with more than 10 round magazines.

Do they issue magazines that hold more than 10 rounds to the police in order to commit murder? No! So if those larger magazines have no value for self-defense, wouldn't we want to prohibit them for law enforcement and security also? The 10 round “high capacity” limitation appears only to be a cloak to disarm the majority of the already law-abiding citizens.

What leads you to believe that?

From http://abcnews.go.com/US/giffords-ke...ry?id=18145328

Giffords, 42, and Kelly, 48, are both gun owners and supporters of the 2nd Amendment, but Kelly had strong words for the National Rifle Association after the group suggested the only way to stop gun violence is to have a "good guy with a gun."

There was a good guy with a gun, Kelly said, the day Jared Loughner shot Giffords and 18 other people, six fatally, at her "Congress on Your Corner" event.
    "[A man came out] of the store next door and nearly shot the man who took down Jared Loughner," Kelly said. "The one who eventually wrestled [Loughner] to the ground was almost killed himself by a good guy with a gun, so I don't really buy that argument."

And if one of our sons or daughters was at this birthday party… How would we feel?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/colle...invader/nD9XG/

A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they’re thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident.
    “Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all,” said student Charles Bailey.

Outraged that guns were there at all. But unless the gunmen were felons, they're still protected under the second amendment as having the legal right to possess them regardless of who's holding them or the type of firearm they are.

Call me crazy… but breaking and entering, masked, armed, and taking hostages would make any reasonable person consider them to felons, or worse... and not protected by the second amendment.

Page 17 of 86 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast