Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 27

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 27 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    hhmmmmmm...about the ignorant video posted...

wrong again, no surprise, tho...

they all demanded a PLAN... not a BAN

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

Hmmm…. Obviously that plan will not include Hollywood pressing for mandatory curbs on gun violence in films marketed to the young and impressionable… in the wake of the Newtown elementary school massacre. In fact, Hollywood is dead set against them.

“What we don't want to get involved with is content regulation. We're vehemently opposed to that… We have a free and open society that celebrates the First Amendment." So says former Sen. Chris Dodd, who chairs the Motion Picture Association of America.

Yeah, there is a difference... I call it the Animal Farm treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Hmmm…. Obviously that plan will not include Hollywood pressing for mandatory curbs on gun violence in films marketed to the young and impressionable… in the wake of the Newtown elementary school massacre. In fact, Hollywood is dead set against them.

“What we don't want to get involved with is content regulation. We're vehemently opposed to that… We have a free and open society that celebrates the First Amendment." So says former Sen. Chris Dodd, who chairs the Motion Picture Association of America.

Yeah, there is a difference... I call it the Animal Farm treatment.
    Because of the first amendment protections, this is going to be a case of self-regulation of an industry. Most likely the only thing that will make an impact on how or if they do that will be at the box office. If the public puts pressure on the industry and does not support films that include that kind of violence, they will adjust. They did it (for a while at least) for smoking, including more ethnicity in major roles, and how they portray gay/lesbians because of public pressure to make changes.

The only other thing I can think of that might be mandated by regulation would be an additional rating category that would add a warning for guns to the Violence rating that's already in place. Even so, my understanding is that films don't HAVE to include the Motion Picture Association ratings, it is entirely voluntary and the Classification & Ratings Administration which determines those ratings is not a governmental agency. Filmmakers do it because the industry controls which films make it to theaters and theaters comply for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Because of the first amendment protections, this is going to be a case of self-regulation of an industry. Most likely the only thing that will make an impact on how or if they do that will be at the box office. If the public puts pressure on the industry and does not support films that include that kind of violence, they will adjust. They did it (for a while at least) for smoking, including more ethnicity in major roles, and how they portray gay/lesbians because of public pressure to make changes.
    You’re probably right Ms. Mod. Hollywood remains firmly in President Obama's back pocket, and I don’t see Biden's panel doing anything to restrict them whatsoever, other than offering some suggestions (wink wink) on gun violence marketed to the young and impressionable. And as I contend, for the most part, claims by the administration of looking seriously at all matters... including Hollywood’s influence in the gun violence debate, appears merely to have been an exercise in mock concern.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    You’re probably right Ms. Mod. Hollywood remains firmly in President Obama's back pocket, and I don’t see Biden's panel doing anything to restrict them whatsoever, other than offering some suggestions (wink wink) on gun violence marketed to the young and impressionable. And as I contend, for the most part, claims by the administration of looking seriously at all matters... including Hollywood’s influence in the gun violence debate, appears merely to have been an exercise in mock concern.
    It has everything to do with first amendment rights as the Supreme Court has upheld long before the current administration and will continue to do so regardless of what political party is in office. You may not like it, but that's the facts, Jack.

It has everything to do with first amendment rights as the Supreme Court has upheld long before the current administration and will continue to do so regardless of what political party is in office. You may not like it, but that's the facts, Jack.
    You saying I don't know Jack?

But can there be federally imposed limits/restrictions to that first amendment right... as in those being proposed in the second amendment discussion? Say giving all movies with graphic gun violence an 'X" rating? That would certainly help wouldn't you agree, by keeping the young away from seeing those type of things that glorify killing?

Seems like that would be up to Congress since it's regulated now but as I'd mentioned, only by the industry. Congress would have to put some legislation in place first I would think in order to then come up with regulations that would mandate ratings including a special rating for gun violence. As with the gun industry, if it won't self-regulate or do more, that should be on the table. Calling or writing your congressmen and senators with that suggestion might be a first step if you feel strongly about the issue.

Unless it also includes an age limit that would prevent purchase of a video game or entrance to a theater, though, I think parents would be the ones to have more influence on keeping that sort of media away from young children. At least having the rating would help the parent make a decision as to whether they would want their child to have access.

Seems like that would be up to Congress since it's regulated now but as I'd mentioned, only by the industry. Congress would have to put some legislation in place first I would think in order to then come up with regulations that would mandate ratings including a special rating for gun violence. As with the gun industry, if it won't self-regulate or do more, that should be on the table. Calling or writing your congressmen and senators with that suggestion might be a first step if you feel strongly about the issue.
    Yes Congress would have to put legislation in place. Legally, Congress would also have to approve the bans on assault weapons, ammunition magazines holding more than 10 bullets, a requirement for universal background checks on gun buyers, and any other of the supposed 19 executive orders aimed at circumventing congressional authority. Wouldn't you agree?

I would just like to pop in real quick and say that I heard on NPR this morning that the president of Mexico is asking for tighter controls on gun sales in the US because a lot of the guns that are being used in the drug war there come from US sales.

I believe this is where that came from:

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/16/169486...lence?ft=1&f=3

Page 27 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast