Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 28

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 857

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    I'm curious, exzel. While I really don't like violence in entertainment and agree that it has a desensitizing effect, I have never seen any reliable study pointing it out as a primary predictor of violence. Do you have access to such data? If so, please link. I would be very interested to see it.

    Because there is definitely a correlation between high gun ownership rates/lack of social support/poverty and high homicide rates, and it makes sense to go with the data when making new restrictions.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The woods are lovely dark and deep
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Unless it also includes an age limit that would prevent purchase of a video game or entrance to a theater, though, I think parents would be the ones to have more influence on keeping that sort of media away from young children. At least having the rating would help the parent make a decision as to whether they would want their child to have access.
    But havn't we seen H'wood squirming around to fit an X-rated into an R-rated or even a PG-rated category for a more diverse audience? The viewing public has to hold their feet to the fire but the problem is most of the viewing public just wants to be entertained and can't be bothered. After these horrible shooting massacres you would think that would shake 'em up; but no, the attitude that 'nothing will happen to me' prevails.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    But havn't we seen H'wood squirming around to fit an X-rated into an R-rated or even a PG-rated category for a more diverse audience? The viewing public has to hold their feet to the fire but the problem is most of the viewing public just wants to be entertained and can't be bothered. After these horrible shooting massacres you would think that would shake 'em up; but no, the attitude that 'nothing will happen to me' prevails.
    I am concerned that this type of material may be desensitizing people--not just younger ones--to violence against others but I have much less problem with the video/film industry continuing to make these available than I do having semi-automatic guns and ammunition available without more restrictions. The latter actually kill people in the wrong hands--there's indisputable evidence about the truth of that.


  4. #274
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I'm curious, exzel. While I really don't like violence in entertainment and agree that it has a desensitizing effect, I have never seen any reliable study pointing it out as a primary predictor of violence. Do you have access to such data? If so, please link. I would be very interested to see it.

    Because there is definitely a correlation between high gun ownership rates/lack of social support/poverty and high homicide rates, and it makes sense to go with the data when making new restrictions.
    Here's one for you.

    http://www.research.vt.edu/resmag/sc..._violence.html

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Yes Congress would have to put legislation in place. Legally, Congress would also have to approve the bans on assault weapons, ammunition magazines holding more than 10 bullets, a requirement for universal background checks on gun buyers, and any other of the supposed 19 executive orders aimed at circumventing congressional authority. Wouldn't you agree?
    No I would not agree. But then I'm probably not the one to be asking about that because I'm fully behind his decision due to my personal anti-gun stance and my total lack of faith in Congress doing what needs to be done because so many of them are more afraid of the repercussions to their political career and pocket lining from lobbyists than having the moral conviction to do what is right for the welfare and safety of the general public.


  6. #276
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I am concerned that this type of material may be desensitizing people--not just younger ones--to violence against others but I have much less problem with the video/film industry continuing to make these available than I do having semi-automatic guns and ammunition available without more restrictions. The latter actually kill people in the wrong hands--there's indisputable evidence about the truth of that.
    But could you not argue that being subject to such gratuitous violence is worse... as it could serve as the basis and catalyst for violent action which could manifest itself into many violent forms and a variety of means... and the gun only being one of many tools utilized as an outlet for the violence?

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    But could you not argue that being subject to such gratuitous violence is worse... as it could serve as the basis and catalyst for violent action which could manifest itself into many violent forms and a variety of means... and the gun only being one of many tools utilized as an outlet for the violence?

    Which to me makes even more sense for having stricter gun controls--remove one more deadly weapon from a possible arsenal.


  8. #278
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    A (really smart) friend of mine just made a recommendation that I rather like. I think we need training requirements and background/mental health screenings too, but the cornerstone of his approach was simply this: require (really require) that every gun be registered to a person and that selling a gun would require a transfer of title, much like selling a car. And then if that gun is ever used in a crime, not only the person who used the gun would be guilty of a crime, but so would the last person to whom the gun was registered. So if I buy and register a gun and sell it/give it away without a proper transfer of title, and then it was later used to commit homicide (and I hadn't reported it stolen), I would be convicted of a crime (accessory to murder, perhaps?) that would come with prison time.

    I think that would make the price of black market guns skyrocket, meaning they would be less accessible to criminals. AND it has the benefit of not being particularly onerous. We all have to do it with cars.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Well, the White House has provided a fact sheet listing Obama's"executive actions"

    Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions

    Obama and his administration will:

    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
    2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
    3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
    4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
    5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
    6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
    7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
    9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
    10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
    11. Nominate an ATF director.
    12. Provide law enforcement, first responders and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
    13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
    14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
    15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
    16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
    17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
    18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
    22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    23. Launch a national dialogue led by [Human Services Secretary Kathleen] Sebelius and [Education Secretary [Arne] Duncan on mental health.

    Actually, not as bad as I thought it would be.

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    But could you not argue that being subject to such gratuitous violence is worse... as it could serve as the basis and catalyst for violent action which could manifest itself into many violent forms and a variety of means... and the gun only being one of many tools utilized as an outlet for the violence?
    No. Dying, killing someone, getting shot in the leg, shooting someone in the leg: all those are worse than watching any number of violent movies.

Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •