This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Go LA!!

Glendale, CA (former home of one of our esteemed members - no, not me) just passed a civil ordinance to stop the LA Gun Show, which has been there since the '90's. It will happen this March and then no more. No more gun shows in Glendale at all.

I guess if the federal government won't do anything, some local governments will.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...wipe-gun-shows

so...tery & todash...don't stop...

y'see...that's the way 'they' win...they swarm over you..over truth..like a thousand, million, rabid ants until you are so
    flabbergasted...you walk away, hands thrown up furiously...pulling out what little hair you have left...feeling like it's all sort of futile

and then...they alone have the stage...sometimes for just a short while...sometimes for longer...

but in that emptiness...they fill the cracks, the holes...the spaces between...

they fill it with lies...untruths...

i'm beginning to see that the only way the sane will ever drown out the insane is not walk away...but to shout them down

repeatedly...loudly...get mad as hell and don't take it anymore

think politics of late, for a sec

during much of the last few election cycles, few stood up to the demagogeries of the tea party...now they control the agenda, and everyone else is playing catch up

walking away is the same as sticking your head in the sand...who the heck knows what you'll find when you pluck it back out...

No worries. I'll say something if I've got something to say. When do I not?

I cannot think why any citizen...aside from policing folks and the military would need a concealed weapon such as a gun. If folks have this weapon, chances are if they really lose their tempers, they will reach for it instead of coming to fisticuffs or letting a cooler head prevail. I wonder how many of these deaths could have been avoided if proximity to a firearm wasn't in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I cannot think why any citizen...aside from policing folks and the military would need a concealed weapon such as a gun. If folks have this weapon, chances are if they really lose their tempers, they will reach for it instead of coming to fisticuffs or letting a cooler head prevail. I wonder how many of these deaths could have been avoided if proximity to a firearm wasn't in the deal.
    Ah, now, that is something few consider, I think. Frankly, to carry a gun responsibly means to commit to never, ever, ever losing your temper. Carrying a firearm also means committing to the idea that you find killing another human being acceptable under some certain set of circumstances. I wish there were statistics on how many people, once they've killed, wish they could take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Ah, now, that is something few consider, I think. Frankly, to carry a gun responsibly means to commit to never, ever, ever losing your temper. Carrying a firearm also means committing to the idea that you find killing another human being acceptable under some certain set of circumstances. I wish there were statistics on how many people, once they've killed, wish they could take it back.
    Now that's something I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Carrying a firearm also means committing to the idea that you find killing another human being acceptable under some certain set of circumstances.
    Like they annoy me? Because I think that should count.

(Someday these things I put on the Internet are going to come back to haunt me.... )

There's a petition going around Nashville now to rescind the gun ban in Cool Springs shopping mall. *sigh*
    Over 1000 people have signed.
    It's right on up there with the state law that allows people to pack heat in bars.

-There's your WTF moment for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Go LA!!

Glendale, CA (former home of one of our esteemed members - no, not me) just passed a civil ordinance to stop the LA Gun Show, which has been there since the '90's. It will happen this March and then no more. No more gun shows in Glendale at all.

I guess if the federal government won't do anything, some local governments will.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...wipe-gun-shows
    WOW. I am very, very happy to learn of this.
    It always made me uncomfortable to know that my landlord in Glendale, somewhat of a Neanderthal with a penchant for exercising what he believes to be "manly man" behavior, has three guns in his home. Granted, he only takes them with him when he goes camping, but the notion that he could get drunk with his buddies in his backyard and take one of the guns out to grandstand and show off always stayed with me. I just don't trust amateurs with guns and don't want to be around someone who has one unless they *must* carry one for professional reasons. (Military, law enforcement, Homeland Security, Secret Service, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Like they annoy me? Because I think that should count.

(Someday these things I put on the Internet are going to come back to haunt me.... )
    BAD SHASTA. NO!

Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast