Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 41

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 41 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    BAD SHASTA. NO!
    Kill-joy.

" like they annoy me"

gosh...i'm in trouble...

where's elton john when i need him ??

can you feel the love tonight...

This time it was the exhibitors that took a stand against the overreaction against guns. The largest outdoors exhibition in North America was cancelled after exhibitors started boycotting the decision to ban the sale of modern sporting arms and high capacity magazines from the show. Many that visited the show also involved people looking to ask questions and get answers about defensive protection, in addition to the outdoors interests. I always went for the fishing exhibitions. Looks like many of us will just go to Cabela’s now and spend our money there instead. The majority of support here from outdoor enthusiasts, from what I can contend, is behind the exhibitors bold decision.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-o...,5943185.story

I just thought I would stop in this thread to add this link. I did not know the different terminology for the weapons.

http://news.yahoo.com/whats-assault-...-politics.html

Hot off the press and as promised, you can read more about how to get Steve's piece in the News forum.

And a reminder to anyone who thinks they have to have a Kindle, you can download their free reader app at their site to read it on other devices. You will still need to purchase Steve's piece regardless of which device you're using.

I've started a thread in the Non-Fiction forum if anyone wants to discuss the essay. Here's the link.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    This time it was the exhibitors that took a stand against the overreaction against guns.
    So they took a stand by hurting their own wallets and alienating customers? That seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    So they took a stand by hurting their own wallets and alienating customers? That seems logical.
    I'd think you should be happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    I'd think you should be happy about that.
    I certainly did not say I wasn't!!

I just sarcastically said that it seems logical. I am quite happy they decided to forsake any type of logic!

In another thread, mention was made of an article presented recently by the Huffington Post, and a lively (but off-topic) discussion ensued. I just wanted to toss in my two cents, but I thought I'd do it in this here thread.

From the Huffington Post article: "But Keller disagrees - fewer guns won't make for a safer society, he said. "The solution is not to take away our guns," Keller said. "Personal safety is everyone's responsibility, and if we're armed we can be forces of good in the world even when the police aren't present." Keller said his customers are stocking up in fear of new legislation curbing gun ownership."

Not to reduce the discussion to invective, but it seems to me the advocates for weapons proliferation are using the same rationale and employing the same logic that, in the past, lead to massive arms build ups (all predictably encouraged by the folks who were actually manufacturing the arms and profiting from tehir sales); having fallen into the logical fallacy of conflict escalation, there's a inevitable tendency towards the big badda boom. Consequently, the notion that "more guns" will somehow be a sound solution is akin to the adopting the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) as a "best fit" solution, having wisely rejected the notion that widespread nuclear war would be a sound (if not ultimate) solution to the arms race.

(As an aside, Carl Sagan addressed the topic of MAD in an open letter to the American public wherein he observed that: It is now almost 40 years since the invention of nuclear weapons. We have not yet experienced a global thermonuclear war — although on more than one occasion we have come tremulously close. I do not think our luck can hold forever. Men and machines are fallible, as recent events remind us. Fools and madmen do exist, and sometimes rise to power. Concentrating always on the near future, we have ignored the long-term consequences of our actions. We have placed our civilization and our species in jeopardy. Sagan also understood the stability-instability paradox, and would likely have been quick to point out that with arms proliferation, the likelihood of unintended consequences (such as the Newtown shootings) would continue to increase).How to avoid each and every inevitable tragedy? Conflict theory suggests the creation of a "common cause" mindset (that fosters the avoidance of conflict) is essential. Instead of engaging aggression (and consequential escalation) peacemaking - through nonviolent conflict resolution - must become the direct action, rather than a indirect goal. I believe it was Gandhi, a major proponent of nonviolent confrontation, who first observed that retributive systems of justice (such as the old notions that held an eye for an eye was just) and the desire to inflict punishment, even when grievously wronged, was more likely to lead to further conflict rather than resolution of conflict. Recent history tends to affirm his observation - we now live in a world where when first strike options appear tactically appealing, they're used.

As for the notion of gun-toting citizens being a force for good, I'm certain George Zimmerman (the person who took the life of Trayvon Martin) continues to believe this of himself: he was the good guy; Martin the villian. By extension, currently, in North Korea and Iran, the villain remains the United States, and so they justify their respective arms development programs. While the ethics and morality (not to mention sanity) of these notions can be endlessly debated, the outcome is almost certain: sooner or later antagonists will come to blows. I suppose the individual with the bigger gun (and the country with the bigger bomb) will come out the winner, but at what cost?

Page 41 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast