This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 42 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Did you hear the original title of The Shining? "This Wouldn't Have Happened If Danny and Wendy Had Guns".
    A little humor, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Did you hear the original title of The Shining? "This Wouldn't Have Happened If Danny and Wendy Had Guns".
    A little humor, folks.
    ...subtitled..."The Ballad of the Thirty Round Clip"...again, tongue in cheek folks...

Start by effecting controls over the production, publication, and marketing of violent and bizarre media which influences younger people as well as those with emotional instability to carry out the tragic deeds we have seen. In fact, maybe background checks through the FBI NICS system are in order for anyone buying such media. In addition, limit the amount the of videos, games, movies, etc. to those purchasers to a monthly maximum. I also believe that internet sales and distribution of these items should be outlawed. Finally, anyone committing crimes of violence with firearms, knives, machetes, chainsaws, or any other handy "assault weapon" found in the trunk of a car, toolbox, kitchen, or baseball field (bats) and who committed those crimes under the influence of violent media should receive greater penalties. The producers and authors of said media should also be held liable for their products' destructive influence. Does all this sound familiar to you gun control advocates? Maybe old Stevie King with his sick novels needs to be "controlled." I didn't even need a 25 page whining missive to relate all this to you, unlike Stevie. Stevie, I am veteran and I could fead both before, during, and after the time I spent in the military in places where jerks like you could never have gotten away with making a living out the trash you write and publish. So lay back on your $$$ and have a nice life you little ****bag.

from the original script (no ones knows this, but the first draft was done by a very young quentin taratino)
    (first edited scene)
    little danny fall into trance, raises index finger, chants ' nossewd nahtims...nossewd nahtims !'
    (second edited scene)

int. scene; hotel bedroom/bathrom) wendy is locked inside, jack outside: he carries an axe
    jack - 'wendy (smacks doorw/axe) i'm home' - cut to

wendy (looks about, spies laundry basket, leaps, whimpering) - cut to

outside, jack swings axe, chops door - cut to..

inside a crying wendy fumbles thorugh basket, glances fearfull over shoulder, door splinters - cut to

outside: jack cracks door, stick head towards hole in door - cut to

inside (over the shoulder shot from behind wendy, we see jacks mad, rabid face peek through hole in door ' little pigs, little pigs...let me come in?!?' (grimaces 'not by the hair of my chinnychin chin ?'...

just then , wendy raises a .44 magum : 'do you feel lucky, punk ! well...do ya @!!!' (cocks weapon...)

the movie ended thirty minutes earlier than kubrick wanted

those that've read the full QT script thought the lad had potential

Quote Originally Posted by gofikyersef View Post
    Start by effecting controls over the production, publication, and marketing of violent and bizarre media which influences younger people as well as those with emotional instability to carry out the tragic deeds we have seen. In fact, maybe background checks through the FBI NICS system are in order for anyone buying such media. In addition, limit the amount the of videos, games, movies, etc. to those purchasers to a monthly maximum. I also believe that internet sales and distribution of these items should be outlawed. Finally, anyone committing crimes of violence with firearms, knives, machetes, chainsaws, or any other handy "assault weapon" found in the trunk of a car, toolbox, kitchen, or baseball field (bats) and who committed those crimes under the influence of violent media should receive greater penalties. The producers and authors of said media should also be held liable for their products' destructive influence. Does all this sound familiar to you gun control advocates? Maybe old Stevie King with his sick novels needs to be "controlled." I didn't even need a 25 page whining missive to relate all this to you, unlike Stevie. Stevie, I am veteran and I could fead both before, during, and after the time I spent in the military in places where jerks like you could never have gotten away with making a living out the trash you write and publish. So lay back on your $$$ and have a nice life you little ****bag.

So, let me get this straight, you what to curtail other freedoms that do not cause direct harm and have not been shown to have ANY real link to violent behaviors to maintain the one freedom that does? That is absolutely bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    I'd think you should be happy about that.
    Yes, like anyone that thinks absolute freedom to arms is just silly, I too am happy.

NOT. What is there to be happy about? This whole issue sucks. There isn't a good answer in either direction because people suck. As soon as that is collectively solved, we will all be correct in our points, but that would negate any need for guns or warfare of any kind in the first place. The part that is somewhat insulting and therefore often dismissed as valid i regards to right wing thinking on this, is that it's about your freedom and not about what I just said. So great, have your freedom, but don't mistake it as NOT being a complete copout that furthers damage to the other side's viewpoint and attempts to fix this,

I'm just going to be blunt here. And it may be offensive, but you know, at this point I don't care. I really don't.

Gun owners who are sensible and reasonable don't worry me. I mean, yes, technically the chances that they would accidentally hurt someone or get hurt themselves are probably higher with weapon ownership, but people like GNTLGNT (and a lot of my family and friends) who are gun owners, or even gun enthusiasts, but are reasonable, thinking people don't really worry me much. I would rather enjoy having neighbors like that. I'd feed their dogs when they're on vacation. We would barbecue together on nice weekends. They would know where I keep my extra key. I think people can own guns and be completely reasonable, solid, good people.

But if I read what someone writes about gun ownership, and it's all venom and inarticulate anger (and not the least concerned with facts, by the way; they "just know" it's the violent media that is primarily responsible), in my mind the person has a red face, veins popping out, spittle flying everywhere, and is on a ranting tear that makes very little sense at all--the thought of someone like that having access to guns is very scary. I tell myself that only a small percentage of gun owners are like that. I hope I am right.

gtosh, todash...you were much nicer about that than i'd ever be

...so you expect us to bow to your asshat post because you "served"???.....obviously you made us proud, if you defended the country like you "defend" your views...you are a classic example of "swoop & poop"...begone troll, and take your middle school vocabulary with you...

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    gtosh, todash...you were much nicer about that than i'd ever be
    Yes, I have been told that I am not very good at the burn.

Well, nobody can be good at everything.

Page 42 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast