Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 44

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

LOL... I've read quite a bit of comments on King's piece and have seen a number of selections, including that one. I already watch probably twice as much MSNBC than Fox News... I believe you should watch both in order to see how many of today's hot topics are handled and/or ignored by both cable news programs. Honestly, doing so has cemented my conservative convictions even more. I also enjoy NPR very much... My bad!
    Well, that's good to know. I assumed that since your initial reason given for not reading the Guns essay was that you didn't want to donate to the Brady Campaign, and that once that obstacle was cleared you still didn't plan on reading it, that was an indication of a tendency to ignore opinions with which you don't agree. But you know, just because I thought it doesn't make it right; I have been wrong before and certainly will be again. (I still don't understand why you won't read the essay, though.)

(Have you noticed that a recent 100,000 pro-life march was ignored by most of the media, but a 1,000 gun control event was highly covered?)
    No, but then I wouldn't. I don't watch news, ever. Nothing against watching news; it's just that I don't generally watch TV. Used to, but I got out of the habit when I went back to school--because of lack of time. It's surprisingly very difficult to get back into the habit of watching TV once you've broken it for several years. I get my news through NPR (if I'm in the car) and online using an aggregate site called News360 that pulls from all kinds of sites. It saves me a lot of time and gives not only more balanced coverage, but also more complete coverage (seems like the major networks focus on a few stories at a time to the exclusion of all else), plus I set up my account to ignore the stuff I don't care about (i.e., sports). You should try it; it's free, although it amazes me that they don't charge for it.

Well you are allowed your opinion, and I doubt anything I say will convince you of the truth.

And what part of my repeated comments that I would favor Background Checks on all gun purchases, and a possible reinstatement of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1996, is it that you don't seem to comprehend? Or is it that I'm not willing to lay down and have someone who supposedly knows better than poor old misguided me, run roughshod over my thoughts and convictions, that really rubs you wrong?
    I think I remember you saying you are okay with background checks, although I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I actually don't remember seeing anything you wrote about assault weapons. I searched, but I couldn't find anything. Is it possible that you said that on another site or perhaps were PMing someone? Regardless, I believe that you misunderstood the source of my irritation as stemming from your refusal to just accept the argument for more gun control. Let me explain more clearly: when I enter into an argument or debate--and I am talking only about me here; I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone else--I believe that in general, the truth, or the best path, or whatever you want to call it, lies somewhere in the middle of the two sides. My goal is not to emerge victorious; my goal is to move toward an agreement. If I'm wrong in some particular or not taking some of the facts into consideration, I want to know that. Of course I'm not perfect at this. At times, my emotions run away with me and I end up wondering why I pressed a particular issue (if you are married or in a committed relationship, surely you are familiar with that feeling). But in general, I actually don't assume I'm right. I'm willing to be convinced ... but you have to be convincing. And when people use tactics that are primarily those of avoidance--when they refuse to defend their positions--it leads me to believe that one or more of three things is true: they see that I might be right but do not want to admit it, they aren't self-aware enough to know why they think what they think, and/or they are for some reason not being honest about why they hold a particular position. (I would also add the possibility that they just hate conflict to the point that their brains involuntarily shut down, which I understand as I'm actually quite conflict-averse myself, but I don't think that applies in a forum dedicated to debate.) My frustration comes from my belief that in a debate, until everyone involved is honest and open, no progress can be made toward a resolution.

(My postings are ones personal in nature to provide opinion in a humorous or non-threatening manner so as to avoid hurt feelings, anger, anguish, sensitive burning and itching or any other discomfort.
    I can see why you might feel this way. Here's some food for thought, though.

1. This is a debate forum. That's the whole point of it. I know when I step into a debate forum (voluntarily, might I add) that I'd better have my big girl panties on.
    2. Hurt feelings don't typically come from disagreements, at least not where adults are concerned. They come from disrespect. It is not disrespectful to honestly express your opinion and reasons for it, and I don't think anyone here would get hurt feelings from doing so. It is also not disrespectful to request that the other participants also honestly express their opinions and reasons for them.
    3. If this issue (or any issue) matters enough to you that you're willing to debate it, it should matter enough to you that you're willing to really put yourself and your reasons out there. If not, what is the point of debate?
    4. You are one of the few people on this site who shares your viewpoint regarding guns. If you don't intelligently defend your position, there's a good chance that it won't be intelligently defended. Surely that matters to you.

you mean...there's supposed to be a resolution to it all...???

really ?!?!?!

...but..............what would we do then

Since the Newtown massacre the NRA has tried
    To deflect attention from the numbers who have died.
    (Meanwhile we Americans run out and purchase guns...
    Makes me want to swear but I am still afraid of nuns.)

This is what a lobbyist can do when they have cash;
    Politicians are afraid the NRA will thrash
    Anyone who even tries to bring the issue up.
    Is the NRA creating paranoia? Yup.

Once they thought that background checks for everyone was cool;
    Advocated for a weapons-free zone at a school.
    Now they say that any list allows our government
    To disarm its citizens - with little effort spent.

Now they want to arm our teachers. My, how things have changed.
    I've begun to fear Wayne LaPierre's become deranged.
    Fostering conspiracies appears to be his aim.
    Cash is needed if we hope to beat him at his game.

When I hear about innocents being shot down by some damaged person with a gun, I am overwhelmed with sadness. How could someone shoot down so many little children? And it continues to happen - and not just in this country. In this country, pretty much anyone can get a gun if they want one. A couple of months ago, I saw a billboard advertising a jewelry store that said "Buy her a diamond and get a free hunting rifle." Gun control is a wonderful dream, but I am not sure that it will happen in my lifetime.

As long as he's not trying to present something that's centrally untrue, I really don't mind.

A friend of mine commented on the ex-sniper ex-SEAL who was shot after he decided to take a mentally ill veteran to a firing range for some exceptionally, deeply, unbelievably misguided blowing-off-steam "therapy," and I made a comment that my friend mistakenly took as implying that I thought he was insensitive, so he replied "Too soon?" (This was all on Facebook.) I said it then and I'll say it again: It's never too soon for the truth. If the movie tells some part of the truth, I don't mind it at all.

Our movies are full of violence and many with unfiltered creative psychopathic brutality
    Our games are laden with mass killing in both realistic and fantasy settings
    Many of our most popular books *cough* star brutal psychopathic killers
    Many (most?) families do not have both parents, most of which have absent fathers (who are typically portrayed as morons and idiots on TV shows and commercials anyway, so who needs em)

and we as a society are baffled and scratch our heads at how kids with mental illness, saturated with whatever designer brain chemicals the pharm companies are pushing this month, get the bright idea that mass murder and death is a great way to end their game?

seriously? Gun control isn't going to do squat for the problems we have, besides keeping everyone busy arguing about everything except our inflation, slow motion detonation of our economy, and how the hell obama actually got re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreked View Post
    Our movies are full of violence and many with unfiltered creative psychopathic brutality
    Our games are laden with mass killing in both realistic and fantasy settings
    Many of our most popular books *cough* star brutal psychopathic killers
    Many (most?) families do not have both parents, most of which have absent fathers (who are typically portrayed as morons and idiots on TV shows and commercials anyway, so who needs em)

and we as a society are baffled and scratch our heads at how kids with mental illness, saturated with whatever designer brain chemicals the pharm companies are pushing this month, get the bright idea that mass murder and death is a great way to end their game?

seriously? Gun control isn't going to do squat for the problems we have, besides keeping everyone busy arguing about everything except our inflation, slow motion detonation of our economy, and how the hell obama actually got re-elected.
    Many affluent countries have access to the same entertainment we do. They have also experienced the deterioration of the traditional family structure. Yet, their homicide rates (though not their overall violence rates, meaning there are plenty of assaults that don't end up in death, which is my personal preference; if I have to be assaulted, I'd rather not die, thanks) are

far,

FAR,

FAR

lower than ours. What is the difference? Less gun ownership, and more restrictions on what kind of guns can be owned. Those are the cold, hard facts. Statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Many affluent countries have access to the same entertainment we do. They have also experienced the deterioration of the traditional family structure. Yet, their homicide rates (though not their overall violence rates, meaning there are plenty of assaults that don't end up in death, which is my personal preference; if I have to be assaulted, I'd rather not die, thanks) are

far,

FAR,

FAR

lower than ours. What is the difference? Less gun ownership, and more restrictions on what kind of guns can be owned. Those are the cold, hard facts. Statistics.
    Pish, posh... facts. Who needs them when you can somehow needlessly blame Obama for all of America's woes.

I actually LOL'd at the post saying this. Neocons are nothing if not good for a laugh.

This is beside the point, but:

As for the economy, again, you have to look at the numbers. Obama inherited the WORST economy in decades, caused mainly by just the fact that the entire world, pretty much, was in recession, and also, specifically in the US, deregulation of financial institutions and tax cuts for the wealthy at the precise time spending was escalating. (Wars are spendy little ventures.)

No, it is not all rainbows and unicorns--a lot of good people are still suffering--but for months now, key economic indicators (statistics, memba them?) have pointed to a recovery. (If you want to know what those are, I'll post/link to them, but before I put in the effort, I would like to know that it matters.) The measures that he and Congress took, the ones that people bitch about, pretty much saved our bacon. We were really close to financial disaster.

You want to get rid of the deficit? ME TOO. So ask your Congressmen to really push for Clinton-era financial policies, because that's the last freakin' time we had a balanced budget. And maybe if we're going to continue acting like the police of the world, we should start setting up speed traps in all the countries we're fighting in, because we sure could use the revenue.

Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast