This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 857

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

  1. #481
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    This is just ridiculous. Teachers go to school for years to learn how to teach, not to become "reserve officers". You want a few actual cops in the school, fine--petition your school board for the funds to pay them. Leave the teachers out of it.

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Sussex, UK
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    The fact you need ARMED police officers to patroll your kids school is simply very VERY wrong. The fact you need police officers at ALL is very very wrong. What is wrong with society that you seriously have to contend with that. And the fact your kids AREN'T disturbed by that I find the saddest fact of all.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question coming from a Canadian but why do the American people think they have a right to bear arms? How did that come up anyway?
    It is our belief that right comes from God, as do all of our rights. The Founding Fathers presupposed and accepted as self-evident "unalienable rights, endowed by our Creator". None of the Amendments grant us any rights. What they do is forbid the government from infringing upon them.

    If there is a gun near at hand then it is easy to reach and make a rash decision. Folks say guns are for protection but how many people does one expect to have to shoot in the length or a lifetime?
    I hope and pray that I will never need to use my guns against another person in self defense or for protecting another.

    Is it not safer to just make wise choices? Protect your property by installing burglar alarms, have your property well-lit etc. If there is danger, then call the cops. If there was a crack-down on guns then the cops would have much more time to respond to calls for help......they wouldnt be out dealing with shooting incidents all the live long day.
    Irregardless that they’re not dealing with shooting incidents all live long day, the truth is… when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

    When it boils down to it, guns are for just one thing....to shoot and take a life. I would not to know that my neighbours had that opportunity to lay me low...bruuuuuuuuuu, it is a scary thought.
    I can’t control what my neighbors think and do, any more than you can. If your neighbors plan to ignore the law, how can you stop them? (I exercise my right to be prepared, as best I can be, in the event they would.)

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Sounds like the ole West in a tv show...everybody armed. Can you really go into Walmart and buy a gun there? You may get a toy gun in Walmart here...or maybe not lol.

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    What is wrong with society that you seriously have to contend with that.
    Generally, it's gang-violence. Without a police presence, schools in some crime-infested areas have to deal with students (and non-students) who come to the school high on crack or meth, toting a knife or a gun or instigating gang fights that put kids into the hospital, if not worse. Getting rid of the gangs would be the optimum solution, but until that happens--if it ever does--having cops and cameras around are the only real defenses.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    The fact you need ARMED police officers to patroll your kids school is simply very VERY wrong. The fact you need police officers at ALL is very very wrong. What is wrong with society that you seriously have to contend with that. And the fact your kids AREN'T disturbed by that I find the saddest fact of all.
    Most recently... two simple words: "Sandy Hook."

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    This is just ridiculous. Teachers go to school for years to learn how to teach, not to become "reserve officers". You want a few actual cops in the school, fine--petition your school board for the funds to pay them. Leave the teachers out of it.
    We utilize part-time and retired police. But if a teacher is willing and able to go through a reserve officer training program, I see nothing wrong with it. I would also give them a higher employment status than tenure.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Armed guards did not stop Columbine. They did not stop Virginia Tech. And an entire military base did not stop Fort Hood.


  9. #489
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    That it's stopping there is what's worrying me. The problem will never get resolved for the future if we lull ourselves into complacency thinking guns are the solution.
    The deterrent is the solution, the gun is just the tool in making that deterrent workable.

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    It is our belief that right comes from God, as do all of our rights. The Founding Fathers presupposed and accepted as self-evident "unalienable rights, endowed by our Creator". None of the Amendments grant us any rights. What they do is forbid the government from infringing upon them.
    Speak for your damn self.

Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •