This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 56 of 86 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 857

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    ...serious consequences for violations of any regulations be placed on certain types of weapons and ammunition.
    But which guns? The Killer tee shirt guy used a little .22 pistol.

  2. #552
    jimson's Avatar
    jimson Guest

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    And your side is not listening to the fact that President Obama has included other issues that need to be addressed, not just bans on certain guns, and has been very up front about that.
    And your side isn't acknowledging that my side has put forth at least two possible ideas. Increasing school security and this:

    A group of bipartisan senators introduced legislation on Wednesday aimed at keeping firearms from the hands of the severely mentally ill.








    Sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Mark Begich (D-Alaska), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), the proposal is designed to clarify which cases of mental illness disqualify the patient from buying or owning guns.

    The hope, Graham said, is "to ensure that those who have been declared an imminent danger to themselves or others aren’t legally able to obtain a firearm."

    "I would expect overwhelming bipartisan support for our legislation,” Graham said.

    Lending the bill a huge boost on Capitol Hill, the National Rifle Association (NRA), which helped write the bill, quickly released a statement Wednesday endorsing the measure.

    "This bill will create accurate definitions of those who pose serious threats and should be barred from the ability to buy or possess a firearm, while protecting the rights of law abiding citizens and veterans," Chris Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.


    Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...#ixzz2OBUj4o5c


    You have drawn your line that any effort must include a ban on semiauto firearms. My line is that it doesn't. Since that issue is apparently dead in the water, let's hope your side brings forth some proposals that don't disproportionally affect the law abiding.

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    People always say that about the other side. Remember when Obama said Republicans aren't coming out with any alternatives on the Health Care issue?
    Ok, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid statement. On this subject and especially healthcare, this is the truth. They offered their same rigid ideas that were rejected by the voters en masse. This is trailing into a larger debate, but suffice to say the right has done little but criticize and obstruct since Obama got into office, then have the audacity to say "Look he is a do nothing president." Then of course the next statement is how Obama has done so much he has completely restructured society and government. The irony would be hilarious if it wasn't so low rent.

    This was in the post you responded to, did you completely miss it?

    Senators introduce legislation to block mentally ill from buying firearms.


    Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...#ixzz2O70n2l4o
    Yes I read it. And? So now the right wants to do something about mental health care? After decades of the "mind diseased" liberals and their wild ideas have been screaming for serious funding and focus on mental health? So what does that earn the GOP? A gold star too? For presenting someone else's ideas that they have criticized as a subject for years? So excuse me if I see the right's BS attempt to "compromise" for what it is. And that goes for pretty much everything and every subject since Obama took office.

    Maybe I am trying to say if you present yourself as the moral compass as the right does, then respond to what they call and deride as political games with political games, maybe you deserve a bit more of a whipping for being counter-productive AND a hypocrite.

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    And your side isn't acknowledging that my side has put forth at least two possible ideas. Increasing school security and this:

    A group of bipartisan senators introduced legislation on Wednesday aimed at keeping firearms from the hands of the severely mentally ill.








    Sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Mark Begich (D-Alaska), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Mark Pryor (D-Ark.), the proposal is designed to clarify which cases of mental illness disqualify the patient from buying or owning guns.

    The hope, Graham said, is "to ensure that those who have been declared an imminent danger to themselves or others aren’t legally able to obtain a firearm."

    "I would expect overwhelming bipartisan support for our legislation,” Graham said.

    Lending the bill a huge boost on Capitol Hill, the National Rifle Association (NRA), which helped write the bill, quickly released a statement Wednesday endorsing the measure.

    "This bill will create accurate definitions of those who pose serious threats and should be barred from the ability to buy or possess a firearm, while protecting the rights of law abiding citizens and veterans," Chris Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.


    Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...#ixzz2OBUj4o5c


    You have drawn your line that any effort must include a ban on semiauto firearms. My line is that it doesn't. Since that issue is apparently dead in the water, let's hope your side brings forth some proposals that don't disproportionally affect the law abiding.
    You apparently missed the January memo:

    excerpted for points regarding schools and mental health. You can read the full list here


    • Providing incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    • Developing model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    • Releasing a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    • Finalizing regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within insurance exchanges.
    • Committing to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    • Starting a national dialogue on mental health led by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, and Arne Duncan, the secretary of education.


    Not including semiauto firearms disproportionately affects the law abiding who don't want them available. Yes, we still pay taxes and have rights, too. Yours don't out trump ours.


  5. #555
    jimson's Avatar
    jimson Guest

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    You apparently missed the January memo:

    excerpted for points regarding schools and mental health. You can read the full list here


    • Providing incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
    • Developing model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
    • Releasing a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
    • Finalizing regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within insurance exchanges.
    • Committing to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
    • Starting a national dialogue on mental health led by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, and Arne Duncan, the secretary of education.


    Not including semiauto firearms disproportionately affects the law abiding who don't want them available. Yes, we still pay taxes and have rights, too. Yours don't out trump ours.
    I didn't miss it. There was little in there that I found objectionable. I don't understand what you are expecting here. If you want to debate specific proposals that's fine, we might find some agreement on some of them.

    We have all pretty much made up our minds on the semi auto issue.

    Might as well move the conversation to other ideas, we are just going around in circles here.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Not including semiauto firearms disproportionately affects the law abiding who don't want them available. Yes, we still pay taxes and have rights, too. Yours don't out trump ours.
    What right is it, exactly, that you think is being trumped?

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    What right is it, exactly, that you think is being trumped?
    Having those guns and ammunition owned by the general population and putting people's lives in danger. I fully understand it's my personal opinion but I feel just as disenfranchised by the dismissive attitude of the more vocal of gun rights advocates who think that only they have rights because of the second amendment and their interpretation of it to mean I can own whatever the hell guns I want and screw you.


  8. #558
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    2,276

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Having those guns and ammunition owned by the general population and putting people's lives in danger. I fully understand it's my personal opinion but I feel just as disenfranchised by the dismissive attitude of the more vocal of gun rights advocates who think that only they have rights because of the second amendment and their interpretation of it to mean I can own whatever the hell guns I want and screw you.
    Now Miss Mod, you know that America and our sense of community was built on the phrase "well screw you!!". In fact, owning whatever gun you want allows you to be able to say "well screw you" with more aww-thor-eye-tay!!

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Having those guns and ammunition owned by the general population and putting people's lives in danger. I fully understand it's my personal opinion but I feel just as disenfranchised by the dismissive attitude of the more vocal of gun rights advocates who think that only they have rights because of the second amendment and their interpretation of it to mean I can own whatever the hell guns I want and screw you.
    The Supreme Court's interpretation is all that matters, but other than that, they do have the right to own guns and ammo. Not any gun they want and screw you, no, but within the limits imposed by the courts.

    On the other hand, you don't have the right to feel safe, and you do not have the right to be free from dangerous things. You can certainly have legislation enacted to make you safer, but you aren't defending your rights, only your life.

    Of the two, I feel that the rights of the citizens as a whole are more valuable than any number of individual lives.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths


Page 56 of 86 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •