This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

why are trained armed guards in schools such a bad idea? I find it insane that someone would rather get all guns melted down (except for those used by criminals, of course) than to actively protect their children. Take all guns away, our children (along with the rest of us law-abiding folks) would be in greater danger than ever. The only way getting rid of guns would work is if bad folks from the entire world suddenly became good and decided that crime didn't pay and turned their guns in as well. It is common sense folks. Of course, Trained is a key word. Even I wouldn't want some local yokel taking his or her gun into schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    "it's only the mentally ill that do this sort of thing" safety net fallacy that so many people are falling into.
    Can you name one of these mass-murderers who wasn't mentally ill? I don't think that someone who's stable would be able to commit such atrocities.

Personally I would prefer to stop escalating the "need" to have guns by creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that benefits no one other than the gun and ammunition manufacturers. IMO it's total B.S. but then it's just my opinion and obviously bleeding heart liberals should just be dismissed for their pie-in-the-sky thoughts that we could actually better ourselves and try to do more about eliminating the causes that lead to having/using guns in the first place especially when it's sooooo much easier to just buy more guns and THEN we'd be safe. At what bleeping point do we FINALLY have ENOUGH?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Can you name one of these mass-murderers who wasn't mentally ill? I don't think that someone who's stable would be able to commit such atrocities.
    I never said they weren't but if you seriously think that just passing some bill that says mentally ill people can't have guns and then we'd all be safe, then you're sadly mistaken. That's the fallacy I see in the bill that's being considered. Should they have them? Of course not, but don't think that's where it should stop or rather that it will end.

Personally I would prefer to stop escalating the "need" to have guns by creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that benefits no one other than the gun and ammunition manufacturers. IMO it's total B.S.
    What self-fulfilling prophecy are you referring to?

but then it's just my opinion and obviously bleeding heart liberals should just be dismissed for their pie-in-the-sky thoughts that we could actually better ourselves and try to do more about eliminating the causes that lead to having/using guns in the first place
    There is nothing wrong with stable, responsible people having or using guns. There's no problem there that needs to be eliminated.

I never said they weren't
    You called it a fallacy.

but if you seriously think that just passing some bill that says mentally ill people can't have guns and then we'd all be safe, then you're sadly mistaken. That's the fallacy I see in the bill that's being considered. Should they have them? Of course not, but don't think that's where it should stop or rather that it will end.
    A law that says mentally ill people can't have guns does nothing, in and of itself, unless it's well-implemented. If it actually keeps firearms out of the hands of the mentally unstable, then yeah, everybody will be safer.

jimson Guest

So for you MsMod it's semi auto gun bans or nothing?

Barring some late game miracle, you have already lost.

Now, I think it's time to start looking at other proposals that have a chance of being implemented, otherwise nothing will be done.

I disagree. There is not a discussion of banning ALL guns on the liberal side--that would be a screw you attitude. However, there is no discussion at all of any compromises regarding making some guns or ammunition prohibited on the other side. And that seems very much like a screw you attitude to me.
    I dissagree. I understand that not all liberals think of the ban-all-guns attitude, but that argument is out there. You are right though, there is a screw attitude big time on the pro gun side. But again, not everyone has this attitude. I don't know what the answers are, and I don't pretend to. But I do know that it is a hard thing for people like me, who were raised on hunting and guns and just shooting for fun, and that protecting one's family is a family responsibility, to hear people talking about banning guns, etc...no matter how small, because in a lot of people's minds it just a starting point for more restriction in the future.

I don't know whose right and whose not, I just know what I believe and what kind of people I grew up around. Had I grown up in a different family, my beliefs would probably be different. But we should all remember, the restricting of rights is a slippery slope.

Personally I would prefer to stop escalating the "need" to have guns by creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that benefits no one other than the gun and ammunition manufacturers. IMO it's total B.S. but then it's just my opinion and obviously bleeding heart liberals should just be dismissed for their pie-in-the-sky thoughts that we could actually better ourselves and try to do more about eliminating the causes that lead to having/using guns in the first place especially when it's sooooo much easier to just buy more guns and THEN we'd be safe. At what bleeping point do we FINALLY have ENOUGH?!
    Unfortunately Ms.Mod, there are lots and lots of bad people out there. I wish that there werenot, but the cold truth is hard to dismiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Unfortunately Ms.Mod, there are lots and lots of bad people out there. I wish that there werenot, but the cold truth is hard to dismiss.

There are bad people everywhere but amazingly other countries have managed to find ways to live without thinking they have to have a gun nearby in order to protect themselves.

Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast