This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 61 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Telling me I'm butthurt did not help. It is flippant and dismissive of my feelings on the subject.
    DAMMIT MM!!!! I had him glossed over about saying that earlier.

I think he was trying to get in the spirit. Blame me. You can punch my hurt arm next time you see me...

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post

I think he was trying to get in the spirit. Blame me. You can punch my hurt arm next time you see me...
    But won't it be healed by then? Where's the hurt in that?

This is a different subject. I was talking about their attitudes on guns in my previous post saying that even though there are bad people everywhere not everyone has the attitude/belief that they have to have a gun in order to live in safety.
    To get Americans to have that attitude, we'd have to actually make Americans safer. There are too many different kinds of people living in too spread out of an area for us to be able to do that the way that the Europeans, Canadians, and Australians have.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post

One of my other boards had a moderator who equated a poster's calling him "butthurt" with the poster challenging him to a knife fight. His exact words.

Sooo... Jim, Marsha... bowies or stilettos?

It's a learned attitude that has been fueled by the media, NRA, and people who are unwilling to make any concessions about weapons.

Because of who I work with, letters we have received from obviously unstable people, celebrities in general becoming targets for the unstable (I'm not going to make a list of all the celebrities who have been killed just to make the point, I'm sure you can find them if you want), having had at least one of those people show up at our office, and then broke into their house claiming he had a bomb while Mrs. King was there, I work in a building that has security cameras and I need to lock/unlock the door just to go in/out, and I'm more aware of my surroundings when I'm out in public with Steve. Amazingly, though, I don't feel the need to have a gun in spite of having legitimate reasons for doing so nor do I feel that I would be any safer with one. It's an attitude. Other people can have that, too--it's a CHOICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    One of my other boards had a moderator who equated a poster's calling him "butthurt" with the poster challenging him to a knife fight. His exact words.

Sooo... Jim, Marsha... bowies or stilettos?
    I do have a black belt in tae kwan do but it's been a while since I've used it. How about the stillettos? The one who can walk 20 paces the fastest without falling on their face wins.

It's a learned attitude that has been fueled by the media, NRA, and people who are unwilling to make any concessions about weapons.

Because of who I work with, letters we have received from obviously unstable people, celebrities in general becoming targets for the unstable (I'm not going to make a list of all the celebrities who have been killed just to make the point, I'm sure you can find them if you want), having had at least one of those people show up at our office, and then broke into their house claiming he had a bomb while Mrs. King was there, I work in a building that has security cameras and I need to lock/unlock the door just to go in/out, and I'm more aware of my surroundings when I'm out in public with Steve. Amazingly, though, I don't feel the need to have a gun in spite of having legitimate reasons for doing so nor do I feel that I would be any safer with one. It's an attitude. Other people can have that, too--it's a CHOICE.
    And they've each made their choice for their own reasons, just as you have. Do you want to legislate that everyone make the same choice that you did?

I do have a black belt in tae kwan do but it's been a while since I've used it. How about the stillettos? The one who can walk 20 paces the fastest without falling on their face wins.

Well... ok.

But I ain't being Jim's second!

My leg hair really ruins the fishnet look

Canada is the largest country in the world by mass. We accept more immigrants than the US. We are not much different in culture...somewhat but not a lot. The east coast is the same as your east coast. The same sort of traditions can be found in both. Our west in the same...even when it comes to the cowboys lol. I do not see how you are so totally different that you must have guns to protect yourselves. You cannot get a handgun here unless you are in some form of law enforcement...from cop to wildlife officer,etc. I have never seen one. I would be terrified to have one in the house. Most folks live their lives without this weapon and live their lives well. Most shootings here involve drug dealers and that is a society in itself. If you live right, chances are you are going to be safe. There is always an exception but it does not improve your chances if you are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Canada is the largest country in the world by mass. We accept more immigrants than the US. We are not much different in culture...somewhat but not a lot. The east coast is the same as your east coast. The same sort of traditions can be found in both. Our west in the same...even when it comes to the cowboys lol. I do not see how you are so totally different that you must have guns to protect yourselves.
    What's the population density for Canada? For the US?

Page 61 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast