Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 63

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 63 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 857

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

  1. #621
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Then why are kids still getting accidentally shot? Obviously everybody does not use common sense....there are a lot of deaths by shooting. There are many folks in the states and elsewhere with mental problems who own weapons. Some of your states are very lax when it comes to deciding who should be applying for a weapon. Seems like most can get a gun in states like Texas. This is so scary. If I knew that my neighbours were permitted handguns, I would never come out of the house. That would be me hiding under the bed lol.
    Those are all very valid points, and each of them needs to be addressed and fixed. There is no debate on that, really. The question is how to accomplish it. Some people want to get rid of the guns, others want to get rid of the bad people.

    Heh... no, not just anybody can legally get a gun in Texas.

  2. #622
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Well, I can agree with that.

    The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this isn't a Conservative / Liberal issue. That is only the corrolation. I think it's really an Urban / Rural issue.

    I don't really like the idea of semiautomatics or rifles inside the cities, much like I chastised that one poster for wanting to shoot more bullets in a residential neighborhood. I'm fine with shotguns in the city, and--even though there are too many bad people with them--handguns inside the city limits don't concern me much.

    In the country, though, where there are predators of both the animal and the human variety, I don't have any qualms about people owning semiautos, though I'm not sure why anybody would ever need a 20- or 30-shot magazine.
    Perhaps that's so. I live in semi-rural surroundings--I own about 70 acres of land but I'm in a subdivision at the outer edge. Educating people about wildlife and how not to let them be a nuisance should be part of the equation. For example, don't leave your trash where bears can get into it. Take your birdfeeders in if they start coming around. Making loud noises and using a paintgun can be a great deterrent. We've had a bear or two come around--one very large black bear came close enough to our bedroom window that we could have reached out and touched it as it passed by. Even going out on the patio (from a safe distance and close to the door) didn't phase it as it sat down and cleaned out the birdfeeder but waving our arms and making loud noises plus a shot from the paintgun wasn't to its liking and it got up and lumbered off. We went out with our dog after that for a few days to make sure she didn't find the bear scent so appealing she'd try to find it in the woods. Admittedly my children are grown and gone but had they still been young and living at home, my next step would have been calling the Game Warden's office to have them try to live trap the bear and relocate it not shooting it.

  3. #623
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Perhaps that's so. I live in semi-rural surroundings--I own about 70 acres of land but I'm in a subdivision at the outer edge. Educating people about wildlife and how not to let them be a nuisance should be part of the equation. For example, don't leave your trash where bears can get into it. Take your birdfeeders in if they start coming around. Making loud noises and using a paintgun can be a great deterrent. We've had a bear or two come around--one very large black bear came close enough to our bedroom window that we could have reached out and touched it as it passed by. Even going out on the patio (from a safe distance and close to the door) didn't phase it as it sat down and cleaned out the birdfeeder but waving our arms and making loud noises plus a shot from the paintgun wasn't to its liking and it got up and lumbered off. We went out with our dog after that for a few days to make sure she didn't find the bear scent so appealing she'd try to find it in the woods. Admittedly my children are grown and gone but had they still been young and living at home, my next step would have been calling the Game Warden's office to have them try to live trap the bear and relocate it not shooting it.
    You talking about bears makes me feel the way staropeace must feel when I talk about guns. I've never lived in a bear state, unless I was in the heart of a city like Detroit, so they mystify me. HOW can you live where there are bears? I ain't gonna live around bears!

  4. #624
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    And that's not sarcasm or me trying to make some backhanded point, either. How in the hell can people live where there are bears?

  5. #625
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    You talking about bears makes me feel the way staropeace must feel when I talk about guns. I've never lived in a bear state, unless I was in the heart of a city like Detroit, so they mystify me. HOW can you live where there are bears? I ain't gonna live around bears!
    With deep respect for their potential to harm and maintaining a safe distance but not getting so freaked out about them that I feel like I have to kill them just because they're there. Black bears are not grizzlies by any stretch but I'm sure could do some serious damage to a person if they felt threatened. Still so, they deserve their place in the world as much as I do and the ones I've had the experience of being up close and personal with prefer to leave than fight.


  6. #626
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    With deep respect for their potential to harm and maintaining a safe distance but not getting so freaked out about them that I feel like I have to kill them just because they're there. Black bears are not grizzlies by any stretch but I'm sure could do some serious damage to a person if they felt threatened. Still so, they deserve their place in the world as much as I do and the ones I've had the experience of being up close and personal with prefer to leave than fight.
    I've heard that they're very much a let's all be cool like little Fonzies creature, but I've seen pictures.

    'Course, people say that about us Cajuns who walk around barefoot in the swamps, too--There are water moccasins and alligators in there! Yeah, we know. They don't bother us.

  7. #627
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    See? It's all about attitudes and fear of the unknown. You've built up bears in your mind but that fear of them may be more than they deserve. I would not want to have to deal with the snakes but I'm guessing that once I'd been around them and knew I didn't have to let my fear be out of proportion to the threat, I'd be just fine.


  8. #628
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I would not want to have to deal with the snakes but I'm guessing that once I'd been around them and knew I didn't have to let my fear be out of proportion to the threat, I'd be just fine.
    Well, no... I'm still scared s***less of those slithery, bitey things.

  9. #629
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Well, no... I'm still scared s***less of those slithery, bitey things.
    That's having a healthy respect for their potential. Nothing to be ashamed of.


  10. #630
    jimson's Avatar
    jimson Guest

    Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Telling me I'm butthurt did not help. It is flippant and dismissive of my feelings on the subject. I feel very passionately about this and do not think that this round of doing nothing about controlling arms should be the end of it. Yes, there are other measures that could and should be done in the meantime but it should not be off the table for me and never will be.
    Hoss is right, it was just an opportunity for a call back joke. I think it refers to hurt feelings or something but the term does make me chuckle a bit. "butthurt" LOL

Page 63 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •