This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 64 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

jimson Guest

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    Well maybe just making a requirement before you can buy any gun. You need a license to fish BEFORE you go, so why not a gun purchase? Then the background checks issue might not be so hard to enforce on private sales, gun shows, etc. I still think a waiting period is necessary, as maybe a cool down is needed at times.
    I suppose I'd go for a state gun owners license before I would go for registration of each individual firearm one owns.

Hmmm... isn't that what the ballistics DB is? Besides I think a lot of "illegal" or "stolen" saturday night special types have the serial numbers filed off. I could be wrong about that as I am not big in the firearms black market.
    I was thinking in terms of protecting a potential buyer from accidentally winding up with a firearm that had been reported stolen. You would have to be a criminal or a complete moron to buy one with serial number filed off.

Yeah, like many laws, it's there to create a punishment, not to mitigate things. I don't see this issue as any different. therein lies the debate: Idea X or Law A will or will not actually mitigate anything. That is where this whole thing goes sour.
    Such a law would be difficult to enforce, but it would still help to create the mindset that gun safes go hand in hand with gun ownership. I believe of all things, near universal secure storage would make the most difference in keeping guns out of the wrong hands in general. A national public service campaign with tax credits for purchase might be a better way to go.

My great granny once told me that the best way to look wrong is to do everything the way it actually should be done. Maybe this applies to my hunting and shooting experience. There is no way in hell I would have ever used one of these rapid fire rifles to hunt. First, once you do pull the trigger, they scatter so you aren't getting a bunch of shots. If you did land the flurry, unless it's a huge animal you will shred the poor thing.
    Sounds like you are talking about machine guns. No semi auto fires more than one round per trigger pull, just like any other firearm. You can simply pull the trigger without manually chambering, but you don't have to. There are semi auto rifles and shotguns made specifically for hunting, and plenty of people hunt with AR 15's.

You don't really need high capacity for hunting, (well, maybe if you hunt wild boar or large predators) but there is nothing inherent in semi autos that makes them a worse choice for hunting than any other gun.

I suppose if one wanted an all purpose firearm, the AR 15 would be one of the best choices.

Same goes for self defense. I lived in rural Oklahoma, miles from help or neighbors, for most of my life. Never did I ever worry about a war scenario where I need to be able to rip off 100 bullets. The scenario you point out about drug runners has as simple answer: we don't allow vigilantes in our society. Your land or not, you can't police that scenario, nor should you. Then what? You got the godfather of the organization looking at YOU. Then, maybe you would need a bunch of assault rifles.
    I never worried about a war scenario in rural Oklahoma either (Hmmm we have some common roots)

I feel quite a bit different in rural Arizona. I have mounds of discarded clothing and trash on my property from illegal traffic.

The thing people need to understand is that there are no kinder and gentler smuggling routes for the poor undocumented migrants only looking for work. It's pretty much all controlled by the cartels now, including human smuggling. Lots of illegals are forced to be drug mules in order to get to the US.

It's not about Vigilanteism. I've had a border patrol agent tell me to be very careful because if I am seen and they are worried I might alert authorities, I'm liable to get shot. ON MY OWN PROPERTY !!!. Not long ago we had a rancher murdered on his own property by suspected illegals.

Sorry folks, but I think I need an "assault rifle," they are sure going to have them and they aren't getting all of their weapons from here. They aren't getting RPG'S and fully automatic machine guns from American gun stores.

Also, I can't predict the future where in general we may be left at least temporarily to fend for ourselves during some societal crisis. The idea of having to take up arms against a repressive American government does sound a bit out there to me, but having to defend against armed gangs during a societal breakdown until law and order gets restored doesn't seem too far fetched to me after the LA riots, 9-11, Katrina etc.

If that makes me a nutty redneck, then so be it, but I still think I am a renaissance redneck

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    How about the stillettos? The one who can walk 20 paces the fastest without falling on their face wins.

Hmmm, That scares me more at least as much as the Tae Kwan Do. I forfeit. "Butthurt" comment cheerfully withdrawn.

Choice, opinion, belief...these things are what they are...hard to change for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Choice, opinion, belief...these things are what they are...hard to change for either side.
    That's true. I'm just so sad that there has to be an "either side". Wouldn't it be wonderful... [yes, now would probably be a good time to cue John Lennon's Imagine] ... wouldn't it be wonderful if we could remove the 'politics' from political issues?
    *sigh* Flake = dreamer.
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; March 23rd, 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

how about this....much like some states have given different backround colors/significations to underage drivers, each state would have to issue its normal, everyday DL/ID's to gun owners that includes a banner (or colored backround), signifying that the licensed driver/ID'd person has been cleared as to owning/possessing firearms/weapons as per breaking any laws or being mentally unstable.

this would then make that person eligible to buy guns anywhere, anytime and in any state: that license, unlike others, would have to be renewed each year (tho, not the actual card...or additional fees) the issuing state would just be making sure that that person has had a medical check-up signifying no medical issues (this could be part of a regular medical check-up) and has not run afoul of any laws that would prevent them from buying/owning.

the state would also issue a license plate for drivers, also with some form of different color/backround, so that any cop would know that they, indeed, have a licensed gun owner: anyone caught w/o such licenses, regardless of the reason, would be subject to immediate detention if they possess weapons.

gun shows would only need to check the DL/Id issued by the state to know that that person can purchase at thier sites.

this would move the burden to the states to share and keep up information about lawbreakers: something they already do...and not be onerous to gun owners, as the only thing it siginfies is that they have not broken the law, are probably not crazy...and can thus, legally, not be impaired from owning guns

from personal experience, i know that another state can have my state suspend my license in a day if i don't pay them thier traffic fines... hi !! SC and Tenn

..so, ya think they'd be able to near-instantaneously suspend a license for someone really bad

well-regulated, but not intrusive ?

jimson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    how about this....much like some states have given different backround colors/significations to underage drivers, each state would have to issue its normal, everyday DL/ID's to gun owners that includes a banner (or colored backround), signifying that the licensed driver/ID'd person has been cleared as to owning/possessing firearms/weapons as per breaking any laws or being mentally unstable.

this would then make that person eligible to buy guns anywhere, anytime and in any state: that license, unlike others, would have to be renewed each year (tho, not the actual card...or additional fees) the issuing state would just be making sure that that person has had a medical check-up signifying no medical issues (this could be part of a regular medical check-up) and has not run afoul of any laws that would prevent them from buying/owning.

the state would also issue a license plate for drivers, also with some form of different color/backround, so that any cop would know that they, indeed, have a licensed gun owner: anyone caught w/o such licenses, regardless of the reason, would be subject to immediate detention if they possess weapons.

gun shows would only need to check the DL/Id issued by the state to know that that person can purchase at thier sites.

this would move the burden to the states to share and keep up information about lawbreakers: something they already do...and not be onerous to gun owners, as the only thing it siginfies is that they have not broken the law, are probably not crazy...and can thus, legally, not be impaired from owning guns

from personal experience, i know that another state can have my state suspend my license in a day if i don't pay them thier traffic fines... hi !! SC and Tenn

..so, ya think they'd be able to near-instantaneously suspend a license for someone really bad

well-regulated, but not intrusive ?
    General medical issues should have no bearing. That info could be made available to the police when they run a plate or license number without me having to have a different colored license or plate.

The rest of the world doesn't need to know my business.

Other than that, I personally don't have any real problem with it.

Two of my husband's cousins have now been killed by guns.

The first was unsurprising because of the lifestyle he lived; he was a drug addict and had a violent temper. He was shot in a drug deal gone wrong.

The second was a promising college student who was an actor and singer at UMKC. He and the 3 other people who were shot (he was the only fatality) were having a birthday party when two men charged in and started shooting. They are considering it a home invasion and have made no arrests.

Something needs to change. I don't know if it is culture, or access to guns, or something else, but something.

Sorry for your losses, atomic.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Two of my husband's cousins have now been killed by guns.

The first was unsurprising because of the lifestyle he lived; he was a drug addict and had a violent temper. He was shot in a drug deal gone wrong.

The second was a promising college student who was an actor and singer at UMKC. He and the 3 other people who were shot (he was the only fatality) were having a birthday party when two men charged in and started shooting. They are considering it a home invasion and have made no arrests.

Something needs to change. I don't know if it is culture, or access to guns, or something else, but something.
    I am sorry for your losses, but the men who charged into the birthday party likely had their weapons illegally in the first place. All the laws in the world won't stop the wrong people from having guns. Again, I'm sorry for your losses and I hope that the suspects are found and punished accordingly.

Page 64 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast