Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 67

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 67 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Some of the video is actually funny...clearly funny...some is in poor taste. Heston would never have pointed a gun at another...something like a plague of locusts...something "Heston" I could buy. The phallic diagram I could have done without. The implication that gun owners are a bunch of hee haws, I could have done without. Satire usually contains an element of truth. Carrey's sketch failed.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    Completely disagree. He was one of the main writers on "In Living Colour" and had a lengthy stand up career before he got big in movies. Before he got somewhat famous in movie-dom, his stand-up was primarily satire and impressions. Being as comedy is simply varying forms of satire and irony, that plus his comedic career would place Carrey smoothly in the satirist column.
    By that logic, Stephen King would be squarely in the best-selling sportswriter category.

For the record, Charlton Heston was known as Charlton Easton in Greece because his last name means to poop on yourself in Greek... :-)
    Can't tell whether you're trying to nettle me or not, but I'm not a big Charlton Heston fan, either. Do kinda like that Planet of the Apes thing he did, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28566595-28566598-large.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	17206

nova

...more like supernova to a wee lad like i was then...i'd have travelled across a desert with her on horseback anyday.

i better stop...i'm just objectifying an actress in a movie......

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    By that logic, Stephen King would be squarely in the best-selling sportswriter category.
    Maybe it's just that stand up and sketch comedy was so long ago in Carrey's 30+ year career that this kind of thing seems out of the norm for him now?

Can't tell whether you're trying to nettle me or not, but I'm not a big Charlton Heston fan, either. Do kinda like that Planet of the Apes thing he did, though.
    No such thing, I have just always thought that was funny as hell for some reason. I had no problem with Charlton Heston really. I think the proclamation which Carrey used as the basis for this skit was just an all around idiotic thing for Heston to have said, but my opinion plus a nickel will buy you 5 cents worth of fertilizer.

I also think Michael Moore's ambush of him in "BforC" and the fact that Carrey is lampooning a dead guy who can't respond are both somewhat unfair. However, just like the "cold, dead hand" comment shouldn't discredit what Heston was saying about gun rights, nor should these two things discredit the opposite views and their validity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Do kinda like that Planet of the Apes thing he did, though.
    My favorite quote from that movie:

"It was the society we had created. There was much love making... but no love."

^^^CRAPOLA!!! I AM SCREWED!!! POST #666. Maybe SK should write a short about that...

"POST #666: A story of the stupidfan"

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I also think Michael Moore's ambush of him in "BforC" and the fact that Carrey is lampooning a dead guy who can't respond are both somewhat unfair. However, just like the "cold, dead hand" comment shouldn't discredit what Heston was saying about gun rights, nor should these two things discredit the opposite views and their validity.
    Huh? Oh, sorry... Nova's got me all distracted.

A rebuttal to Jim Carrey's video.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Oobleck View Post

A rebuttal to Jim Carrey's video.
    Perhaps foolishly, based upon your previous posts and the fact you sought this out and posted it here, I will assume you are supportive of the video's views.

So now we need to analyze every view the person who made this has ever put forth and if anything is "questionable" in my mind, then everything they said in no longer valid?

This person's only argument that even rebutts the points (however distastefully made) Carrey made is that he hired bodyguards because he was rich and famous so how can he judge John Q Public for wanting the same security. This is just a stupid as the NRA video calling out the president for having the secret service protect his family. He is the f*cking president! The nature of the position he took on requires constant security. It is COMPLETELY different than kids at XYZ elementary. So is John Q Public's typical threat level versus someone who is a rich celebrity. Mod got any comments on that? Know anyone who gets death threats for simply being a well know figure? Yeah.... So no this is not a valid point AT ALL. The vaccine thing has nothing to do with this subject at all.

It wasn't satirical. It wasn't well done. Its not funny. Its jabs were stupid and based on specious, esoteric points of pointlessness. Complete fail.
    Last edited by hossenpepper; March 29th, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Gremlins!!!

Page 67 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast