Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 84

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Dang it!
    Well you had to go act like a liberal scum and be factually accurate and well thought out in your response.

Shame, shame, everyone knows your name. It's the CONE for you!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_lp2bcryWUi1qm7k4lo1_500.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Please, please can we close this thread? It's become a hate fest. Isn't there already enough hate in this world? This forum should be an escape, a place to politely exchange ideas...and better yet, talk about books! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for debate. But the hate that is spewing forth from this thread is sickening.
    We're talking about an event where kids had their brains blown out. Did you think it was gonna be polite all the time? Do you not understand the difference between bombastic political discourse and actual hate?

Again, politics and political banter is not for wimps. I agree things get heated and feel personal at times, but this an internet board and very few here, especially those that wind up bickering a bit, actually know each other well enough to judge emotion via text.

As far as this being a debate, it can't be when the one side just repeats the same crap over and over and over. It makes the entire effort to actually talk about this and gain some new insight a waste of time. That you don't critique, but someone pointing it out, you do? And then say it's personalized hate?

This is Hot Topics, which is know to be a bit heated at times. Hence the word HOT in the title of the area. I have seen some disagreements in the book threads about interpretations or what have you, but never arguments or bickering like here. Perhaps that is more your thing.

Again, I don't hate anyone. I will buy anyone here a beer and a burrito and happily talk of mirth and days of summer. We do all share a love of the genius of SK, after all. That is of course until he expresses an anti-conservative opinion. Then to some he is suddenly an idiot. Which makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Please, please can we close this thread? It's become a hate fest. Isn't there already enough hate in this world? This forum should be an escape, a place to politely exchange ideas...and better yet, talk about books! Don't get me wrong, I'm all for debate. But the hate that is spewing forth from this thread is sickening.
    I don't often post in the political threads, but I read them closely. I haven't read anything that I would consider hate fueled. Sure, the discussions do get heated at times, but when people feel passionately about certain topics, that is bound to happen.

jimson2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    We do all share a love of the genius of SK, after all.
    That is true, but I certainly don't think he is an idiot.

Since he will never write a pro semi-auto firearm essay donating the proceeds to the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, we can never know what sort of progressive backlash might occur.

dang, jims...but that was actually kinda funny...

ummm...there are other worlds than this.

yes............and you've visited them all...haven't you, oobs

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    We're talking about an event where kids had their brains blown out. Did you think it was gonna be polite all the time? Do you not understand the difference between bombastic political discourse and actual hate?

Again, politics and political banter is not for wimps. I agree things get heated and feel personal at times, but this an internet board and very few here, especially those that wind up bickering a bit, actually know each other well enough to judge emotion via text.

As far as this being a debate, it can't be when the one side just repeats the same crap over and over and over. It makes the entire effort to actually talk about this and gain some new insight a waste of time. That you don't critique, but someone pointing it out, you do? And then say it's personalized hate?

This is Hot Topics, which is know to be a bit heated at times. Hence the word HOT in the title of the area. I have seen some disagreements in the book threads about interpretations or what have you, but never arguments or bickering like here. Perhaps that is more your thing.

Again, I don't hate anyone. I will buy anyone here a beer and a burrito and happily talk of mirth and days of summer. We do all share a love of the genius of SK, after all. That is of course until he expresses an anti-conservative opinion. Then to some he is suddenly an idiot. Which makes perfect sense.
    I understand politics and debate and that people get heated arguing...happens to me all of the time, but as you said, this is a forum on the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I respect that, heck, I spent four years in the Marine Corp to protect that. Your assertion that one side repeats the same thing over and over, that is false. Both sides do this...and it gets old. People can chat politely about issues without resorting to name calling and wholesale labeling of one or group or another. When someone gets mad and lashes out, that causes the other person to lash out, and then all goes out the window. (and yes, I know passion and think it is vital, but so are tact and respect) Calling someone or someone's group a bad name isn't going to cause anyone to change their mind' s on an issue. And these threads may not be all out hate, but they are seeds of hate. Hate is a slippery slope and can grow in leaps and bounds 'till its out of control. We all just need to be careful. And isn't it funny, I try to point out that this thread is going down the tubes and get attacked for it. Crazy, huh? Lets just all try and be more civil. We are going to disagree on issues, its ok and natural. But as my grandmother would say, there's no need to get ugly. Live and let live, love and let love.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    I don't often post in the political threads, but I read them closely. I haven't read anything that I would consider hate fueled. Sure, the discussions do get heated at times, but when people feel passionately about certain topics, that is bound to happen.
    Perhaps...just perhaps, hate is too strong a word. I read this thread and have my opinions, and sometimes I give them, but when folks dismiss others and their beliefs and their political groups as idiots...where does that get anyone? Giving opinions and beliefs is one thing, thinking that one is high and mighty and that others are lowly idiots is something else. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree. The gun issue is a huge one, and one that I am passionate about. Other people are passionate about it as well, on both sides, and I respect that. Why can't other people?

Quote Originally Posted by jimson2 View Post
    You are just trying to rewrite history. Guess you didn't notice all the violent imagery depicting the murder of Bush, http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/14871 including a wet dream film showing his fictional assassination.
    Canadians? Nothing against Canadians but using a foreign item to try to prove your point is sheer nonsense.

Nobody is saying that there wasn't some pretty nasty anti-Bush stuff going around. But it was not approved by the majority of those of the left or by the Party itself, unlike all of the anti-Obama rubbish. Here you have leaders of the opposition party saying terrible things, trying to ruin the country's economy, spreading rumors and disinformation about policy.... it's never-ending and it's pervasive. There simply is no comparison.
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect