Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 85

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.
    A pithy little saying. It pops on the page. Has a little zing, you might say. It's also mostly deadlocked our legislature for the past seven years or so.

It does nothing to find common ground, and it does nothing to solve problems.

not to mention, tery...leaders of the r party publically saying they not only will not work with that man in any manner, way or form even before he takes the oath of office...or that they would actively work against anything he proposes...and would work against any party member who did not follow thier lead on that...to make sure that he was a one term president..they were quite successful at that, no ?

and this began a great purge during the next election cycles for all those who did not follow thier lead...those who deigned to put the nations interest above the new party-think

the exact same thing has always been prevelant from my party over gun issues...it's the nra's way...or get out of the way

rinos', anybody ????

which is why we can't get anywhere...

chuggs...i admire the nice thoughts about how we should all be respective, even understanding...but when you have one party...my party...specifically not living up to the ideals you wish to see us all live by...how do you expect those who follow that lead to ever do as you ask

you could make all the assumptions, as you have, about how both sides are guilty: dang, but you trumpet that at almost every turn...but reality is, this president has forced his left wing to compromise to the middle on almost every issue (obamacare ?? it is a R plan...created by r's: you simply cannot get more of a compromise from your left wing party than that), including guns...

and in that forcing has proven himself not to be a left wing idealogue...and that his party is not mired there, either...

they have, as politicians are sometimes called to do, compromised to find a solution...

the r's.?? while some have, quite often in some instances, worked with and helped out...they more often than not still mewl, whine and cry..and are, s a party whole, completely mired in the muck of the far right...

the reality is, on the gun issue so far everyone except the gun lobby and the leaders of the R's have compromised...even the parents of those children who were slain have changed their position....

only the far right has not...on every issue...including this one...

jimson2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tery View Post
    Canadians? Nothing against Canadians but using a foreign item to try to prove your point is sheer nonsense.

Nobody is saying that there wasn't some pretty nasty anti-Bush stuff going around. But it was not approved by the majority of those of the left or by the Party itself, unlike all of the anti-Obama rubbish. Here you have leaders of the opposition party saying terrible things, trying to ruin the country's economy, spreading rumors and disinformation about policy.... it's never-ending and it's pervasive. There simply is no comparison.
    Oh yeah right, that's not a biased opinion at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    I understand politics and debate and that people get heated arguing...happens to me all of the time, but as you said, this is a forum on the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I respect that, heck, I spent four years in the Marine Corp to protect that. Your assertion that one side repeats the same thing over and over, that is false. Both sides do this...and it gets old. People can chat politely about issues without resorting to name calling and wholesale labeling of one or group or another. When someone gets mad and lashes out, that causes the other person to lash out, and then all goes out the window. (and yes, I know passion and think it is vital, but so are tact and respect) Calling someone or someone's group a bad name isn't going to cause anyone to change their mind' s on an issue. And these threads may not be all out hate, but they are seeds of hate. Hate is a slippery slope and can grow in leaps and bounds 'till its out of control. We all just need to be careful. And isn't it funny, I try to point out that this thread is going down the tubes and get attacked for it. Crazy, huh? Lets just all try and be more civil. We are going to disagree on issues, its ok and natural. But as my grandmother would say, there's no need to get ugly. Live and let live, love and let love.
    Thanks for your service Chuggs. I sincerely appreciate our military and the sacrifice them and their families make.

Perhaps your military background is still with you. Perhaps that is why you see me replying to your post as an attack. It's not. It was a response to each of your points. That is actually what a real debate is. You say something, I counter and offer other explanations or reasoning. Simple and straightforward, no ulterior motive involved. If there was, then it would be "hate" or some other emotive drive. You say seeds of hate. I say seeds of other ideas. I agree name calling is juvenile, so I don't call people names. I critique their own words, not them. If I am saying something about the person I have no way of knowing, then I state it as I did in the beginning of this paragraph. I honestly do not understand how you get to attack and hate so fast. So I offer a possible idea based on the info you have shared. Period.

I am not anti-gun and if you read back to my original posts on this you'll see I am mostly with conservatives from several standpoints. BUT, me repeating that will do jacksh!t to change anything. If we all agree change is needed, how is saying "that won't work, us gun supporters just know it won't" going to change anything? So while I may agree that this law or that being on a piece of paper may have little or no effect, it is mental laziness and holding almost religious level ideals close to your chest to derail these ideas and others that are honest attempts to solve a difficult issue.

Do those on this bandwagon not understand that by trying things and oft times watching them fail miserably, we as a race find the right answers? If you disagree so much with those asking for restrictions, why not let them have their wish so they can see them (new laws) fail and know 100% for sure you're right?

If you have raised children you learn this very basic premise about humans pretty quick. Nothing is more stubborn and rigid than the mind of a teenage girl... and I have 3 of them (sorry ladies, I love ya, but damn you're hard to deal with as teenagers).

I also read you are from Arkansas. I find it a bit thin to act like you haven't seen racism in that part of the world. I grew up in and around Tulsa almost my whole life. I have spent a ton of time in Arkansas; have relatives and friends that live there, too. An ex-girlfriend lived in Ft. Smith and I used to spend many a weekend there, Little Rock, Hot Springs and up north near Missouri. No racism? Wow. You couldn't be more wrong. It is RAMPANT in that part of the country. So, you either need to open your eyes to it, or you're just not being truthful.

But this does lead me to a couple of jokes....

How do teenage girls practice birth control in Arkansas?

They run away from home!

In the famous white Bronco chase, OJ said he was heading for Arkansas. Why?

He wanted to go somewhere the DNA was all the same

Quote Originally Posted by jimson2 View Post
    Oh yeah right, that's not a biased opinion at all.
    Well as Stephen Colbert says, reality has a well known liberal bias.

Nothing Tery said is untrue. Inconvenient to your view, but nonetheless true. Show me the grassroots nutjob party that popped up conveniently as candidate Bush was being mentioned as a possible future president. Yeah... doesn't exist. How about when Obama came on the scene? where was the Tea Party when Bush was spending trillions on unnecessary wars? Or obfuscating our rights with the Patriot Act? Yet, a black guy gets close and holy sh!tballs Batman, we need a revolution!! We need to secede (looking at you Texas, you rascal you) since he got re-elected!!!!! And blah blah blah blah blah.

I mean hell, damn liberals been getting almost 5% of their agenda across for almost 50 years now!! So that certainly out-trumps the racist, neocon, divisive, dis-inclusive nature of our government and politics for the previous 200 years or so, right?

So no, that was not an opinion. It was a statement based on the facts and history of the US.

jimson2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    (obamacare ?? it is a R plan...created by r's: you simply cannot get more of a compromise from your left wing party than that),
    Just because it had some elements favored or crafted by some R's some time ago doesn't make it an R plan. An R plan would have addressed tort reform and insurance sale across state lines.

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    the reality is, on the gun issue so far everyone except the gun lobby and the leaders of the R's have compromised...even the parents of those children who were slain have changed their position....

only the far right has not...on every issue...including this one...
    In my case, it's because I believe the focus should have instead been on two things. Mental Health and school security.

You would think anyone really wanting to protect the innocent would welcome better security wherever it is needed to guard against any sort of mayhem.

There's not a damn thing being proposed that would help prevent something similar to what happened yesterday and there is no reason to believe that something similar will never be attempted at a school. Not to mention any number of ways the diseased mind can come up with to kill and maim.

Insanity doesn't prevent people from being fiendishly clever, just look at the booby traps placed by Holmes in his apt.

We can't ban enough of anything to get away from the fact that schools need metal detectors, armed guards and something stronger than doors with glass windows.

true that, hoss..

i grew up in the deep south: georgia in the laste '60's to mid '70's...in my first neighborhood, i lived down the street from a nice family, whose son was a very good friend, who very much had some rather prejudiced views: they never once used that word...

i moved across town, to the cobb county area...the family across dirfectly the street also held certain views...but never would say anything aloud...or bad....they were all...respectful in thier ignorance....

no...first time i heard the word n****r spoken in public was in a ks high school...how can you get by for years in ga., and not hear that word, but hear it several times in first day at your new h.s. ?

it never went away...i see it every day...always have...in looks...sneers...the way people talk to people...we all know, if we are honest with each other....

kansas...right here and now...i've seen more overt racism since obama began running the first time, and every day since, than i had for some time...more rebel flag hats...more rebel flag bumber stickers...one guy drove around town for quite a few months with a gigantic rebel flag flying from the back of his pick-up...too, too many comments about how nothin'll be right until we get the monkey out of the white house...or, as it sometimes is now referred to, the black house..

far more references to 'him' not being 'our' president then i ever saw with the supposedly hated shrub

...barack HUSSIEN obama ...

c'mon...it's disengenious at best to say that all this, and way too much more, is not a reaction simply to the color of his skin...and a clear reflection of prejudices, that have no place in a truer america, still having too much of an impact

any impact is too much when it interfers with getting things done when they need to be done

it's exasperating beyond all compare to have to keep having to mention this stuff to bolster the point all intelligent people know to be true...racism is still there...and it often gets in the way of moving forward and solving problems

and it's become far worse and more invasive since barack obama then it was was quite some time before...

when one considers the actual origins of the NRA...one has to wonder how much of all this is an honest effort to effectively support gun reasonable, realistic rights...or how much might be a more subversive prime directive....

To ire the teabaggers, I often troll their stuff and post comments to the effect of "you know he is half and half, so he could be seen as that white guy in office too". Boy that pisses them off for some reason...

Kansas eh, Guido?

Well that leads me to a joke...

Why does Oklahoma have so many tornadoes?

Because Texas sucks and Kansas blows!!

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    Kansas eh, Guido?

Well that leads me to a joke...

Why does Oklahoma have so many tornadoes?

Because Texas sucks and Kansas blows!!

I always heard it as Why to the trees lean to the west in Missouri?

Because Kansas sucks

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast