Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 9

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 86 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    This actually makes complete sense to me. He was planning to off himself anyway, but it probably never crossed his mind that anyone might even consider fighting back. The way it played out in his mind, I imagine, is that he would blaze through the mall gunning people down, then commit suicide at the end of his spree. It was never, ever, ever in the plan to be taken out by someone else. So seeing that that was a possibility, he probably decided that it was better to prematurely end his spree as planned rather than become a victim himself and give up his power.

I'm actually really disturbed that I have this level of understanding of the shooter's thoughts and motives, but I'm pretty sure I'm on target.
    Oh yes. I see where they are coming from. I just don't believe this is what happened. The guy said he stood there and watched the gun jam. It seems like if he was that close and knew there was a gun issue he really should have done something about it. I'm not judging - I'm sure I would have frozen. I've also taken the gun classes that say don't shoot until you know what's behind the person or thing you're shooting. But if he was so trained and so calm then the story just doesn't ring true. At least to me. And the only witnesses he has are when he pulled out his gun and when he went to hide in the store. It just doesn't make sense.

And I can't see in the four minutes the entire thing happened that a guy who was willing to kill people and obviously wanting to die would have the forethought to think, "Hm. This guy has a gun. I certianly don't want to get killed by someone else. Let me walk away from him with my back turned and hide in a stairwell so I can take myself out." I just can't buy it.

But of course, this is all just my speculation.

Good idea for this thread,so far it is reasoned and respectful,which is what we need to do here..making reasoned,dispassionate,thoughtful suggestions on this problem and solutions..and Cat you have no reason to apologize for a long response,that was taken well,all your points. The time has to be at hand for making changes in how we respond to this problem,because doing nothing and just going along,till the next incident happens,ain't getting it done.I was never an advocate for gun control,believing in the right of citizens to keep and bear arms..this is the tipping point for me personally.If we don't address this now,when will we..little ones,babies really,are being killed..I can't in any good conscience justify anyone keeping an assault weapon at their home.Single shot rifles,six shot revolvers,and shotguns are sufficient to home defense,sport, and hunting,IMO..maybe that is simplistic,but it seems we have to start somewhere to craft a reasoned response.President Obama is speaking on the issue now,and it seems he is taking point and is determined to start getting a handle on this.I didn't vote for him,but he is the President,and has my respect as he weighs and tackles this issue..Chuggs,don't go showing yourself out,this has been a good discourse and your points are as valid and thoughtful as anyone's,and this is an issue for the world as well as the US..continue to debate,to post opinions,that is important for everyone to do so we can analyze all thoughts and get to a reasonable denouement on this complex issue..

So seeing that that was a possibility, he probably decided that it was better to prematurely end his spree as planned rather than become a victim himself and give up his power.
    Absolutely, he wanted to have a cowardly and quick death, rather than feel the pain of being shot by someone else. Although that is what he'd planned for others. Twisted, sick and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    With the OK City bombing, something did come out of that. That kind of fertilizer and a lot of potential bomb components are regulated.

Todash was on a watch list, for example, for buying potassium permanganate. Which is an explosive component, or an excellent anti-bacterial for fish. If I went and bought ten guns, it wouldn't raise any flags. That's a problem to me.
    Okay, I would just like to point out that we bought that for completely non-violent reasons. Just in case anyone is wondering. And we never blew anything up that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn2069 View Post
    schools may want to look at who they already have teaching in their system and find the Ex-Vet or Ex-law enforment , Training these teachers to carry and shoot and have them armed when they are in school.
    I get what you're saying, and if someone had happened to take the shooter out I wouldn't be crying, but the day we decide arming teachers is the answer would be the last day I would send my kids (if I had any) to a public school. Or probably even a private one.

I get what you're saying, and if someone had happened to take the shooter out I wouldn't be crying, but the day we decide arming teachers is the answer would be the last day I would send my kids (if I had any) to a public school. Or probably even a private one.
    We all know I'm fairly okay with guns but I am 100% with you on this. Home school it would be.

They say the shooter broke a window to gain entry to the school. What about glass that cannot be broken? If that kind of glass were in place on that day, would the shooter have gotten in so quickly?? The entire entrance to our elementary school is made of glass, including the door to the office. They just built it this year and the windows are from about the ground up and very wide. I used to think they were pretty, now, I wonder how safe they are??

Ok this is a subject I can weigh in on. I don't think that our teachers should be armed because the casualty count could have been way higher and weapons don't belong in schools. I was quite disappointed to find out that my son's school has not practiced a lock down drill yet this year and anyone that wanted to could just walk into that school and no one would be the wiser. I do believe that teachers need to be provided with the skills and the knowledge of how to keep their students safe.

My husband is an RCMP officer and he also trains other RCMP officers on school shootings and does "active shooter" scenarios with the officers. I have asked him to do up a business case regarding offering a similar training to the schools and present it to the school board in our community. The training would obviously be different and tailored to their needs. Not sure how this will be received because most if not all of the training is done in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    They say the shooter broke a window to gain entry to the school. What about glass that cannot be broken? If that kind of glass were in place on that day, would the shooter have gotten in so quickly?? The entire entrance to our elementary school is made of glass, including the door to the office. They just built it this year and the windows are from about the ground up and very wide. I used to think they were pretty, now, I wonder how safe they are??

Many of the schools in my area have been re done in hurricane proof door and windows. Not bullet proof, but a possible slow down to entry. Also, many of the new designs are windowless. Not scenic for the children, but maybe safer.

I've read a lot of comments on the internet where people say they should arm teachers or the reception staff. Who's to say that one of those armed members of staff may not suddenly snap and shoot their work colleagues/pupils? It happens in other work environments and could easily happen in a school. There's no place for guns in schools, ever. But I come from a country where guns aren't accepted as a way of life, and I'm thankful for that.

Rather than view it as living in a nanny state, I appreciate that we aren't raised around guns and they aren't easily available. It may sound silly but when I hear a loud bang here it doesn't bother me, because I know that's all it is. Whenever I've heard that sound in the USA it has always put me on edge because I'm unsure if it's simply a bang or a gun being fired. I appreciate living in a country where that subconscious fear isn't always inside me.

Page 9 of 86 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast