Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Default Re: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

My mother told me that some group had proclaimed a certain day for the world to end when I was a baby. She said she didn't really believe it, but on that day, just in case, she made sure we were all bathed and wearing fresh, clean clothes. I guess she just wanted to make sure we were presentable in the face of total destruction!

AIW,
    Storms ARE getting worse, and are predicted to keep doing so. Just the other day, I was reading an article about atmospheric rivers, how they are getting more intense, and how California could see some major flooding as a result. Major, as in Sacramento could wind up under water.

Also, look at Katrina and Sandy (which actually wasn't as bad as expected)...scientists who study climate say we can expect more storms like these, with increasing frequency.

The Mayans didn't actually prophecise anything

Wikipedia reference-link2012 phenomenon

Obviously, some things can and do get worse (for example: being Jewish in 1930's Germany, world temperatures during the ice ages, etc.) I'm just saying it's a human tendency to think that in general everything is getting worse. I think a lot of it has to do with increased awareness, then feeling helpless, or just getting older and constantly comparing things to a past ideal that probably never existed to begin with.

Vandy is going to back to back bowl games (for the first time in their history), while Tennessee has set at home for the last two years. In addition, Neither Penn State or Ohio State are bowls, that must be some kind of sign? Seriously, a friend mine said he looked into the Mayan calendar, and he thought it looked like they ran out of physical room to go any further than 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    a friend mine said he looked into the Mayan calendar, and he thought it looked like they ran out of physical room to go any further than 2012.
    Are you being serious? I can't tell.

The calendar runs in cycles and this just happened to be the last cycle they completed, along with seven prophecies that end with the world changing as we know it (a change in conciousness, if you will). If they wanted to they could have just drawn another cycle, as that's what the pattern was.

Not saying I believe, just saying what it is.

...what if the Mayan Calendar REALLY ends in 5105, and we've been holding it upside down???...

Part of me hopes that something momentous will happen, then part of me says " yeah yeah, look what happened when 1999 turned into 2000...............NOTHING! I had another beer, then went to bed."
    Perhaps the recent discovery by scientists of a planet that could possibly support life will be the start of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I actually think there is a change of conciousness going on. Or maybe I just want to think that. I feel like people ARE trying to change the way we treat our environment but that it's a long, slow struggle. I think people are waking up and realizing we can end ourselves if we keep going on our path of destruction.

At least, I hope we are waking up. I really do wish on Friday everyone would wake up and say, okay, we've got to change.
    I'm probably gonna change my underwear, does that count? I already posted this on another thread, I just think the guy that was making the calendar got tired and took a break, then decided that someone else in the next (to him anyway) 1,000 or so years would have enough fortitude to take up the next part!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast