Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012? - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Default Re: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Well, you know, just in case, it's been swellerrific knowin' y'all!
    " Ladies and Gentlemen take my advice, take off your pants and slide on the ice." - Dr. Sydney Friedman (been watchin' a lot of re-runs)

Quote Originally Posted by EAST COASTER View Post
    Part of me hopes that something momentous will happen, then part of me says " yeah yeah, look what happened when 1999 turned into 2000...............NOTHING! I had another beer, then went to bed."
    Perhaps the recent discovery by scientists of a planet that could possibly support life will be the start of something.
    You know, if you mean Y2K, I'll just say that ... well. I am in IT. Where I was working at the time, we had a small Y2K project because we happened to have some poorly formatted dates, but it wasn't a huge part of what we did, so it didn't take a lot of resources. However, we all knew that January 1, 2000, was what we call a "hard stop," which is unlike most projects that can get pushed out ad infinitum. Typically, that is how IT works; if we must get it done, we get it done. IT issues are triaged like emergency room visits, and things like Y2K and contractual obligations always come first.

So when people talk about how Y2K didn't amount to anything, I always smile because it's a sign of how well it was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    ....So when people talk about how Y2K didn't amount to anything, I always smile because it's a sign of how well it was handled.
    Bravo! I'm not directly in IT but in my department, at the time of the impending Y2K, did a lot of programming and SQL in our IBM operating system. There was a ton of work involved in preventing issues. Also, we developed a contingeny plan for what if we couldn't use our computers, how would we still monitor and move our inventory. We didn't need to use it on Jan 1, but when Hurricane Rita came along and we have an entire operating system out due to flooding for 5 days, guess what I dug out. My Y2K contingency plan! Kept us in business with minimal notice from the outside world! I laugh a bit myself when I hear that!

How could I forget about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grrl View Post
    AIW,
    Storms ARE getting worse, and are predicted to keep doing so. Just the other day, I was reading an article about atmospheric rivers, how they are getting more intense, and how California could see some major flooding as a result. Major, as in Sacramento could wind up under water.

Also, look at Katrina and Sandy (which actually wasn't as bad as expected)...scientists who study climate say we can expect more storms like these, with increasing frequency.
    Yeah, we need to stop screwing with the environment.

Well folks, if this is the end, it's been nice knowing you all.

Now excuse me, please, while I go listen to the new remix of 2112. How apropos

Well, there is only 1 hour and 38 minutes to go until Dec 22nd.
    So far so good....

....ummm, epic fail...the Mayans predict the end of all things...and Bieber's still here...

Well it's official...the world keeps turning! The Mayan Prophecy deadline ended at 11:11am here and an hour later we're still alive. Yay. Hopefully there hasn't been any mass suicides, or people killing their families so they could all die together before the end struck. That's the one thing that has been playing on my mind the past few days, some people genuinely believe this stuff and will do anything to escape it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast