This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Default Re: The Mayan Prophecy...December 21st 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....ummm, epic fail...the Mayans predict the end of all things...and Bieber's still here...

Yup, the cockroaches and Bieber.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Yeah, we need to stop screwing with the environment.
    One thing that irritates me when I visit the USA is how lax people appear to be about recycling their everyday trash. Where I live we have special colour coded bins for everyday waste, recyclables and foliage/garden waste. If things aren't placed in the correct bins we are fined.

I've spoken to people in America about why they don't recycle (when I've noticed this) and it's usually the same excuses; it's too time consuming, or it's not their problem. It takes a matter of seconds just to crush your tins or plastic bottles and tear up your cardboard then place them in the correct bin. Recycling and the environment is everybody's problem. We all live on this planet and are somehow contributing towards damaging it but we can also try to reduce that damage. Obviously recycling isn't the only issue related to how we're damaging the environment, but it is an area where each and every one of us can play a hands on role in minimising the damage by ensuring we do recycle our own waste.

Rant over...sorry.

....ummm, epic fail...the Mayans predict the end of all things...and Bieber's still here...

Oh no! We are all doomed.....

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    One thing that irritates me when I visit the USA is how lax people appear to be about recycling their everyday trash. Where I live we have special colour coded bins for everyday waste, recyclables and foliage/garden waste. If things aren't placed in the correct bins we are fined.

I've spoken to people in America about why they don't recycle (when I've noticed this) and it's usually the same excuses; it's too time consuming, or it's not their problem. It takes a matter of seconds just to crush your tins or plastic bottles and tear up your cardboard then place them in the correct bin. Recycling and the environment is everybody's problem. We all live on this planet and are somehow contributing towards damaging it but we can also try to reduce that damage. Obviously recycling isn't the only issue related to how we're damaging the environment, but it is an area where each and every one of us can play a hands on role in minimising the damage by ensuring we do recycle our own waste.

Rant over...sorry.
    I love our recycling program in the city where I live. We can put out as much recycling as we want on trash day but are allowed two bags of trash per week only, then beyond that if we have more (which occasionally happens such as after a big garage cleanup or parties or what have you), we are required to put a trash tag on each extra bag at a cost of $2 each.

My out-of-town relatives are often surprised by this. I tell them, think about it: we can recycle most plastic containers, paper, cardboard, food cans, soda cans. (Glass we have to set aside and take to a center ourselves if we want to recycle it.) The only things left that you throw away on a regular basis are some product packaging, food scraps, cardboard/paper soiled by food (like pizza boxes or used paper towels), styrofoam, and waxed paper (like pet food bags or the coated paper boxes chicken broth comes in). Diapers, I suppose, if you have babies. It's not that hard.

Most of us are products of our environment. Did I recycle before this program was implemented? I did not. The main difference between me and someone in the next city who doesn't recycle is that I have the opportunity. People are the same world over. It's their environment that makes them, mostly.

...what if the Mayan Calendar REALLY ends in 5105, and we've been holding it upside down???...
    ha ha ha ha - I hope the world doesn't end today cuz I brought lunch to work!

A guy here in our office is taking a half-day vacation this afternoon. I told him he should have scheduled the morning off since there wouldn't be an afternoon if the world ends at 12:00 noon.

The world did not end. Mayans calendar gave wrong information. So we can
    continue to plan our future. Have they any new date of when the world can end.

Still here Of course I'm looking at you all from my private space capsule, stockpiled with twinkies & hoho's, orbitting the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I love our recycling program in the city where I live. We can put out as much recycling as we want on trash day but are allowed two bags of trash per week only, then beyond that if we have more (which occasionally happens such as after a big garage cleanup or parties or what have you), we are required to put a trash tag on each extra bag at a cost of $2 each.

My out-of-town relatives are often surprised by this. I tell them, think about it: we can recycle most plastic containers, paper, cardboard, food cans, soda cans. (Glass we have to set aside and take to a center ourselves if we want to recycle it.) The only things left that you throw away on a regular basis are some product packaging, food scraps, cardboard/paper soiled by food (like pizza boxes or used paper towels), styrofoam, and waxed paper (like pet food bags or the coated paper boxes chicken broth comes in). Diapers, I suppose, if you have babies. It's not that hard.

Most of us are products of our environment. Did I recycle before this program was implemented? I did not. The main difference between me and someone in the next city who doesn't recycle is that I have the opportunity. People are the same world over. It's their environment that makes them, mostly.
    We started a program here a couple of months ago where we can put anything man-made that's recyclable into one container and it's picked up once a week along with our trash. The container is bigger than my garbage bin and has really cut down on the amount of trash that goes out. We used to have a much smaller recycle container and they were very strict on what we could put in it, if it wasn't the right type of item they would throw it on your lawn next to the bin. Now, it all goes in the bin!!

I wonder if I have time to finish cooking my pot of beef stew?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast