Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
downer's syndrome - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: downer's syndrome

Default Re: downer's syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    I have a couple of pieces of advice to add:

Don't self medicate; it is destructive.

If you have had depression a while, go to a doctor and get that sh*t sorted out. (This is a big case of do what I say and not what I do, btw. However, once my insurance goes through, though, you better believe I'm getting out of this cycle. It's hard on my friends, it's really hard on my husband, and it's hard on me.)

The low lows pass. The cycle won't until you are proactive and do something about it.
    Pay attention to this. It's very good advice.

Do not self-medicate.
    Do see a doctor. And, I'll add.....make sure the doctor really understands where your head is at. Even doctors will sometimes write off depression as something like "the blues". Make sure the doctor understands this has been going on for awhile.

~~~~

sorry if you've posted this information elsewhere, or if it's something you don't wish to discuss.....have you talked to any family members about this? Maybe your mom, or sister, or someone, might be willing to go to the doctor with you to help advocate for you.

...OK, ya sked for it...here comes the Dad in me...time to stop with the whole "woe is me" tripe, and get yourself help, as many of us have told you countless times before my friend...the only one who can change your life is you...and I put my money where my mouth is...at age 51, I got help for a depressive disorder that I'd been denying for quite a long time...had to make that decision on my own-nobody else was gonna lead me there...and man, do I feel better for it...people are there to help-but they're not going to come looking for you young'un...get thee to a counselor NOW!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sartin View Post
    I guess my question is, will this ever change? Will i ever find good friends since mine left m to hang out to dry and abandon me? Will i ever be happy again?

You're at that time of your life when everything you've known, everything you've come to expect, changes. Your school friends are leaving to pursue their new lives--college, career, family, maybe just finding themselves--and it seems like there's nobody left in the world you've always known. That's the way it should be.

Your world has moved on. You should move on with it. Friends, they say, are just family that you choose for yourself.

Now you have an entire brand new world of people to choose from. Choose wisely.

Absolutely, things will change. But this is not a passive process; you're gonna have to do some work. And therein lies the trap that depression can become...because you don't really WANT to do anything.

You've gotten some great advice. I'll just add one thing, something I was told to do by a counselor when I was struggling mightily with depression... get a job. Yeah, I get it, the economy sucks. Take temp work if you must, it is usually easy to get. Take ANY job. It'll give you something to do, and I promise it will make a positive difference.

Get counseling, see a doctor, get better. Don't give up. No one said life was easy. I was in a rough spot in my early 20's mentally and eventually worked out of it through counseling and meeting the right people. I'm worlds apart from the person I was in my early 20's now--thank goodness. You'll get through this.

Hi!

As some have suggested, I would try to get an anti-depressive. Preferably an SNRI. Specifically ask for an SNRI.
    Talk therapy.
    Get moving. If you aren't working or cannot find a job, volunteer. You have no idea how wonderful it feels to help others.

Only you can move you into action.

And I would rather not hear you reply, "Yes, but________" No, buts. Do it!

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Dave, I have given you the only advice I am capable of, which is to change the way you think...be a bit more positive. You need to be on anti-depressants seems to me. I do not know if you take any of the board member's advice on here. I thought you were going to Nursing school? Maybe, I am wrong there.

Sometimes I wonder if your information is credible. You never seem to interact but just post about how depressed you are. Sorry if I sound a little skeptical and stuff.....I am a straight forward grumpy person who has little patience.....but very happy even if it is over small things....and SNOW.
    Ditto . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
    Hi!

As some have suggested, I would try to get an anti-depressive. Preferably an SNRI. Specifically ask for an SNRI.
    Talk therapy.
    Get moving. If you aren't working or cannot find a job, volunteer. You have no idea how wonderful it feels to help others.

Only you can move you into action.

And I would rather not hear you reply, "Yes, but________" No, buts. Do it!

Peace.
    To quote Pee Wee Herman to Simone in Pee Wee's Big Adventure: 'Everyone I know has a big but.' And what Siggie said: DO IT!!!!

20 is a hard age to be. Someone already said this, but I'm going to repeat it because it's important. Everything is changing, your friends are scattering off to college, getting married, and doing all sorts of other things, and you're not really still a kid, but you're not really necessarily plugged into whatever you're going to be doing as an adult yet. (Don't worry about that, I'm 42 and I still wonder what I'm going to do "when I grow up." You don't have to decide all that now, you just have to get busy doing SOMETHING.)

It's really easy at this point to feel lost and alone. And, once you feel that way, to start feeling like you'll never feel any other way. But, you still have lots of ways to get back to shore. First of all, like a lot of people have already said, get yourself some counseling. And, if they think you need it, get on some meds. A lot of communities have free or sliding scale mental health care available. I know I've used it on and off for myself. There's no shame in that.

Get a job, go to school, volunteer, do SOMETHING with yourself that involves a schedule and getting around other people. It seems REALLY REALLY hard to do when you're in the depths, so start small. You will feel a lot better about yourself once you get going. Many communities have homeless shelters and will take volunteer help to do just about anything. Serve meals to homeless people a few days and your life will start looking pretty good, at least that's what I've always found! Animal shelters will also generally take volunteers to "socialize" their dogs and kitties. You get to pet animals, and it makes them easier to get into homes, it's a win/win! Look for stuff like that.

(((((hugs)))))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12