Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Homophobic? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobic?

Default Re: Homophobic?

Three votes for idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    In a book I`m reading atm, there is a scene where some guys gang up on another guy and they want to beat him up. In one moment this lone guy says to the main bully: " Do you know that people who like to constantly fight are actually gay, they just didn`t come out of the closet yet? They need to feel another man`s body, so they hide their true nature behind beating him up, but that`s the only way they gets to feel them. "
    Then the writer goes into his own rant about how all team sports are like that, soccer, football, basketball...guys only play them so they can touch other men and smell their sweat and wrestle with them or something along those lines...
    Is this guy onto to something or is he just a homophobic idiot?
    This type of reasoning has been around forever. It's certainly not the first time I've heard any of this. Of course, aspects of it can be true. Why not? But that is not to say that every man who plays a sport or is a bully and beats up other guys is gay. There may be closeted "straight" men who play contact sports for the thrill of bodily contact with another man, but I would venture to say it is a subconscious thing, not something preplanned. Homosexuality is a complex issue and cannot be reasoned away in a few sentences by a crime writer in a novel. The author brings up some interesting points, but does himself a disservice by couching it in such an off-handed way.

I think gay men are just like any other men. Being gay does not mean being a sex maniac...I am sure most would play sports just because they like sports. I do not think the gay lifestyle is a choice. Some gay folks are very obviously gay...they look and act it. Other folks are just the run of the mill everyday person. I think they are made the way God wanted them to be and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

As to the writer, he is probably just showing how stupid this character is. This is hard to say if one is not familiar with the book. Who wrote it, meduckie?

...the Resident Idiot votes the "Idiot" ticket...now having cast my ballot...I LIKE touching sweaty people...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...the Resident Idiot votes the "Idiot" ticket...now having cast my ballot...I LIKE touching sweaty people...not that there's anything wrong with that...
    You have the perfect job, then, eh??

I think it's just armchair psychology by a character in a book, no way can anyone accurately generalize sexual orientation that way.
    That said, I sometimes have to wonder about people who go out of their way to bash gays every chance they get, seems like they're trying to cover up something...

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    Three votes for idiot.
    Why do you get three votes? That doesn't seem quite fair.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    That said, I sometimes have to wonder about people who go out of their way to bash gays every chance they get, seems like they're trying to cover up something...
    This works in many ways. I have quite a few gay friends and at least two of them absolutely detest lesbians. And they aren't joking. They run them down every opportunity they get and they have no feasible reason for it, other than because they are lesbians and they judge them all the same. I also have gay friends who believe they can turn any man to their sexual persuasion if they wanted to.
    This just proves to me that all people can be strange/judgemental/deluded, irrespective of their sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I think it's just armchair psychology by a character in a book, no way can anyone accurately generalize sexual orientation that way.
    Cahd Allen, actor from that TV series Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, said he and his friends used to drive around when he was in his late teens and look for 'gays' to beat up and then about ten years later met and fell in love with a man. Go figure.....

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    You have the perfect job, then, eh??
    ...and the perfect elbow length rubber gloves...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast