Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Homophobic? - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Homophobic?

Default Re: Homophobic?

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Why did you post Captain Kirk doing a faceplam?

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    A true homophobe would never engage in COCKtails...
    I beg to differ!

So he could get to the other side of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Capt Sisko?

Capt Sisko?

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    Does this mean you want to have a cocktail with me, or throw one in my face?
    Naw, I was offering one to Hossie. I just thought a pitcher of kumquat margaritas sounded good and was going to offer a drink to Ms. Mod & Sundrop. I figured Hossie could do with a belt of something as well.
    You're welcome to have one, too.

Well, hell.....first round's on me! Kumquat margaritas for the people, I say!

It's five o'clock somewhere!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your statement about gay men who "hide" in sports. Perhaps they truly enjoy football, baseball etc..."that's where you find men so deeply in the closet..." I'm sorry, but that is insulting on so many levels. I know many gay men and women who are just athletes, and play sports because they are athletes. They aren't trying to "hide" behind sports at all. What an absurd thing!
    Wow, I had absolutely no idea this tempest was brewing. Certainly it wasn't my intent to cause a ruckus.

I think perhaps you took so much umbrage to the first part of what I said that you missed the second part ... which is pretty much exactly what you're saying: it's likely "a small percentage" (quoting myself) of men who do that. Lots of guys (and women, but generally it's more perceived as a guy thing) just ... like sports. And gay men are still men.

But there are gay men who engage in typically masculine endeavors that they might not fully enjoy as cover, especially if they grow up in an environment where they don't feel safe being who they are openly. All you have to do, if you don't know people like that yourself, is google it to see story after story of gay or transgender kids doing everything they could to fit in as a matter of survival. Sports, especially certain contact sports, are typically viewed as a masculine thing, and are therefore a great place to "hide." Heck, there are plenty of straight kids who play football not because they want to but because their dad wants to vicariously relive his glory days as a high school quarterback. I'm not saying it should be that way; I'm just saying that it is. I don't follow sports (pretty much at all), but even I can recall reading about several professional athletes "coming out"--after they retire. It's always after they retire. Maybe 95% of those played for the love of the game ... but it is not a stretch, not at all, to think that there is a small percentage of people who fear coming out so much that they spend their young adulthood concealing who they are by using sports.

My intent was not to be insulting at all, and I do not think the truth of the thing is insulting. It simply is. It's just a sad part of the human condition. I agree; it's absurd. Did you know one of the top five regrets people have on their deathbeds is that they wish they'd been able to be themselves, to tell other people how they feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Naw, I was offering one to Hossie. I just thought a pitcher of kumquat margaritas sounded good and was going to offer a drink to Ms. Mod & Sundrop. I figured Hossie could do with a belt of something as well.
    You're welcome to have one, too.

Well, hell.....first round's on me! Kumquat margaritas for the people, I say!
    Hey, turns out I am a people!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast