Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What's the coolest way you've ever read an SK story? - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the coolest way you've ever read an SK story?

Default Re: What's the coolest way you've ever read an SK story?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    ...so, we sat every day in the funeral parlour room, reading horror comic books, eating chocolate Popsicles, and listening to Jimmy Osmond's album.

It would have been a great place to read Kng's books.
    That...sounds...so...COOL!!!

Somewhere secluded, candles on, lights out, a smoke...

LongTallSally Guest

When I read Cell a long time back, I did it late at night by flashlight while hiding under the blankets in bed hoping like hell someone wouldn't toot under the covers and ruin it for me. All went well and it was a great way to read an SK book.

Reading on a sunny morning, on the porch, cup of coffee or tea nearby, kids and noisy neighbors still in bed... ahhh, that's Zen for me.
    Anytime I can be outside, reading in the sun, I'm happy.

While naked and circling the planet in a space shuttle. Just kidding! Now that I have your attention, I was on a city bus, reading the ending of one of SK's books, crying my eyes out and nearly missed my busstop! The book was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

I re-read Blockade Billy whilst sat at Brands Hatch in the VIP parking bit in front of the track watching American v8's racing each other, and waiting to take part in an exhibition lap in our Mustang. Reading to the sound of v8's whizzing past had me in Bliss!!

I listened to In the Tall Grass on my headphones while writing a piece titled Sounds of the Jungle. That particular neighborhood holds a historic and creepy feel at times. It is not the most peaceful place in terms of seclusion. As I began attempting this piece, particular lines and words were stealing me away. I usually only listen to music while writing, although I try to multitask.

Not cool, as I definitely freaked myself out- but I read the Langoliers while on an airplane. I tend to read and sleep on planes... tried my damnedest not to fall asleep on that flight!

Around 4,200ish meters of elevation while in the Salta province region of the Andes Mountains; near Seclantįs Adentro and Cachi Adentro, Argentina. I was reading Dreamcatcher on and off throughout the long journey to mountains. It was tough to stay focused with all the gorgeous scenery all around. For two of the days I was staying at the Finca Montenieva, a ranch ran by the Aban family. Even if I were a better wordslinger I do not think I could express the deep awe I felt from the natural beauties of the lands. Let me just say that this is a place where you can look at the night sky, without any instrument aids, and see in detail the Milky Way.

Even with all that went on in those short days I did try and sit down to sneak in a few pages. I did not get very far before the youngest son (8 years old give or take) who lives on the ranch came a sat down next to me. He was totally fascinated with the book in all aspects. It was hard to know exactly why because my Spanish was lacking and his English was worse. I found out why later after talking with his father and relaying his sons' fascination with the book. The son had turned shy and was hiding behind his father while we worked out the explanation for the fascination. Turned out that just about anyone in the region would have had great interest in the book. Books were hard to come by out there and books with English text are nearly nonexistent. The reasoning seemed so obvious to me then, this is a place where the kids still use horses as a mode of transportation to school. I was struck hard (not for the first time on the trip and certainly not the last) just how MUCH is taken for granted by myself and those around me in my American/Modern way of living.

There was no question at all in my mind then, the book simply must be gifted to the boy then and there. But the book was such a rare object that he was reluctant to take it at first. I absolutely insisted and after some back and forthing he finally excepted but only on the condition that I take his pocket knife in return.

So that was how I came to give away (for the first and only time ever) an SK book that I had started but not yet finished.

I started The Talisman (but didn't finish) on a train from Munich to Kempten, which is a beautiful trainride, so that speaks to how engrossed I was in the story. I read every single night while I was in the Alps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast