Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Bought it. Gotta read it. - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought it. Gotta read it.

Default Re: Bought it. Gotta read it.

I haven't read it, and really didn't want to see the movie when it came out, but I did, which sorta re-enforced some of the possible misconceptions I may have about the book. Although I like dogs, was raised with a pet dog, being raised in a small southern town, a rabid dog = 1 bullett, end of story. And if anyone can make a good story out of a limited subject, it would be Mr. King; but I have a hard time getting excited about the subject matter, and have never wanted to attempt the book.

I have a jumbled up memory of once reading Cujo, and later seeing the movie. my reaction was probably obvious with the change from book to movie (why why did they do that???) oh yeah it was hard to get thru emotionally but thats the beauty of Kings storys-is it not? it simply wouldnt be a King story if he didnt drag you kicking and screaming to the sewers.but give him his due s-o-m-e-t-i-m-es its a story of redemption and in a screwed up way a love story

Quote Originally Posted by gypsycrow View Post
    I voted not to read that book a long time ago. I started my love for Stephen King back when I read The Shining when I was 16. I began sneaking books from my mother's library. She saw that I grabbed Cujo one time and she said, "Are you sure?" Then she told me what it was about and I have declined ever since.
    ...then you are depriving yourself of a fine piece of writing...sad, or no....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...then you are depriving yourself of a fine piece of writing...sad, or no....
    I know. I'm weak.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsycrow View Post
    I know. I'm weak.
    ...not at all, just face your fear as they say...the pay-off IS worth it...and I'm a dog lover...

If the worst comes to the worst, take comfort in the fact that it's a work of fiction! That's what helps me enjoy books with 'difficult' plot developments.

I've been an animal lover for as long as I've been able to love, and I think this book is really good.

There was one moment in a Stephen King book which HAS, as an animal lover, brought me to tears.

It's the moment (possible Duma Key spoiler here) where at the beginning of Duma Key, someone hits a dog with a car, and it was where the storyteller described the dog looking at him hopefully for help that made me cry.
    Just like that, completely unexpectedly! It saddens me to even recall it, and I so wanted him to help the dog. This book is kind of like that. You want to just ease the dog's frustration, confusion and pain. And Stephen King captures all this beautifully and the story is imbued with a sadness that is touching.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; March 5th, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...it is a very sad book overall, but damn don't he write it good!...laws yes!...
    M-O-O-N, that spells Sai King is a fantastic author!! haha.

But seriously, I read Cujo and I enjoyed it. It was sad, yeah, but.... the whole situation and the emotions involved were very realistic. The characters felt very real too. A good read.

Push past it and READ it! It's a deep portrayal of everyday day life with everyday fears, mistakes and heartache.

Cujo is a great story. I am glad I read it, but I won't read it a second time. I won't watch Bambi, or Old Yeller either. I rarely do anything that I know is going to end in tears. (Nod to D. Adams)
    So, where are you in the story Todash?

I read this for the first time recently. I wasn't put off by the content, thou I understand why some people would feel that way, it tugs at the heartstrings. I was put off it by the pretty bad film they made which i watched a couple of years ago.
    I'm glad I got round to reading it thou, It's a realy good read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast