This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parents, don't let this happen to your child!

Default Re: Parents, don't let this happen to your child!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention. In our neighborhood we have kids who play outside. Yes - I said outside. No phones, no IPads, no electronics of any kind. Just bikes and balls and on old tire. AND they're polite. Love these kids.
    Did you follow someone thru the rabbit hole from 11/22/63?????

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I haven't a clue what y'all are talking about...crackerjacks?
    Sounds like I'm missing out on something gooooood, though.

Music intro... "Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize! That's what you get in Cracker Jack!"
    My husband is from Scotland and has lived in Canada for about six years now so we often run into little discrepencies like that. He calls a double lane highway a "duel carriageway". Please - tell me he is just plain strange and old fashioned. (You don't call it a duel carriageway, do you?) It is like he was transported here from the past! Cue Twilight Zone music and Rod Serling...

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post

Music intro... "Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize! That's what you get in Cracker Jack!"
    My husband is from Scotland and has lived in Canada for about six years now so we often run into little discrepencies like that. He calls a double lane highway a "duel carriageway". Please - tell me he is just plain strange and old fashioned. (You don't call it a duel carriageway, do you?) It is like he was transported here from the past! Cue Twilight Zone music and Rod Serling...
    Or perhaps he's from Roland's time...........

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Do kids still get to experience the piece of rock hard gum in a pack of baseball cards? That stuff has probably been outlawed. I think that gum was as hard as granite.
    Ya throw it in the microwave.
    Of course you have to be a real affectionado of pink goo, 'cause your gonna have to throw away that microwave.
    Well hey, y'all think the odoriferousness of burnt microwave popcorn (or oh my word, kettle corn), will drive down your property value, give toastin' that stuff up a wee whirl.
    Hmmm, I'm thinkin' that's when they discovered they could start usin' it for the heat shield tiles on the Space Shuttles, very interesting stuff is what I'm sayin'...butt remember, safety first is often, relatively speaking, our motto >>>-------->

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    My son is 17 months and he actually prefers his plastic trucks, tractors and animals to the toys he has that light up and make noise. I suppose that might change, but I don't think it will since my wife and I do so much pretend play with him. While I do feel nostalgic about the experiences I had that he will miss out on, I am generally of the mindset that the world is doing ok and that stuff from "back in the day" wasn't necessarily better. The really good stuff endures!
    This may be true. I notice that you can still get Super Bubble in apple flavor. (Sorry, GNTLGNT, I always hated Bazooka gum. Freaking stuff was hard as a rock, and the comics were worse than the jokes in Laffy Taffy.)

Did you get ice-cream called Screwballs in the States? They are made of vanilla ice-cream with a gumball down at the end of the cone. It is not actually a cone but a plastic container with it's shape. I do not know if kids in Canada can still buy screwballs..if not then what a shame. OH OH my all time favorite treat was a confection of ice-cream and orange sorbet on a stick called Buried Treasure...this was only in Newfoundland. The stick had a looneytunes cartoon character but you had to eat the ice-cream to see it. We were so very lucky then. Kids do not have the cool munchie stuff we had, nowadays. So solly.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    This may be true. I notice that you can still get Super Bubble in apple flavor. (Sorry, GNTLGNT, I always hated Bazooka gum. Freaking stuff was hard as a rock, and the comics were worse than the jokes in Laffy Taffy.)
    ...I agree, it's still a classic though...was always a Rain-Blo man me-self...

I spent a lot of time introducing foods and activities from the past to my kids while they were growing up. I just couldn't imagine them not experiencing some of the cool stuff I did as a kid. At times, though, it was hard to find some things. I remember one of my biggest goals was to have my son play on one of those things they used to have in all playgrounds, everywhere. Can't think of the name of it! A carousel, maybe? You and a couple of kids would climb on, hold on tight, give a push with your foot, and you could twirl forever. I used to spin so fast I would stagger off and be dizzy when it came to a stop! (Hmmm... They probably banned them from playgrounds because of liability issues.) Anyway, after years of looking, we found one in Lithia Park in Ashland, Oregon.
    Another thing I did (and still do) is recreate foods from history. My daughters and I made Laura Ingalls Wilder's wedding cake, for example, when we read the books together years ago.
    Once I heard Michael Buble say he sings the standards because he can't just let them die. That's how I feel about a lot of old things. Even if they are hokey!

Imagine my poor son. Born and raised in Ireland. We now have Pop Tarts, Oreos, Doritos, Ben and Jerry's and all kinds of fas food, the poor deprived child has never had candy corn.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast