This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Rant

Default Re: Lets Rant

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    It's not healthy for nostrils to flare this long, Todash.
    He's right

When some people just can't do their job properly and right (talk about my own job now) it's not fear to
    those who really try and want to make it properly and right. Make me really angry sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    It's not healthy for nostrils to flare this long, Todash.
    ...I think she's gone Frank...a victim of Nares Overdilation....it's time for a telethon...to raise awareness and money-for another Yemen Expedition...

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo87 View Post
    When some people just can't do their job properly and right (talk about my own job now) it's not fear to
    those who really try and want to make it properly and right. Make me really angry sometimes.
    Realize I wrote little bit wrong on Friday. Sorry my English is not perfect all the time. Easier for me to
    talk it as to write it.
    OK I meant to write it's not fair to those who really try and want to make it properly and right.
    Have bother me whole weekend so had to correct it.

Sorry, guys. Didn't make it back in time Friday. But here's my rant:

Okay. Here's the deal. I test software for a living and have done for about 12 years. Most of the people with whom I've worked would be happy to work with me again, I think, and the reverse is true as well. I understand that nobody is perfect, and that most of us are trying to do a good job. Or at least not actively trying to do a bad one. I also believe that it's perfectly fine, even desirable, for a team of software developers to have a mix of skill levels. Someone has to do the grunt work, and someone has to do the thinky stuff.

That being said, right now, I work (sorta; he only does PT outside of regular business hours) with this developer. THIS GUY. He--oh how did I put this to someone yesterday?--he has a thimbleful of skill and work ethic, yes, but it is lost in a sea of apathy and arrogance. How he got this idea I haven't a clue, but he seems to think he is the absolute best thing since cheese and chocolate. And I'm with Shasta. I don't like arrogance at all, but I really don't like it when it's unearned.

Yesterday, as sort of a special favor, I interrupted my regular workflow to test something that hadn't been scheduled. This was something that was moved to the production environment, meaning it is out there for real people to use. Unfortunately, during testing I discovered that something was broken pretty badly in production that hadn't been broken in the test environment. It was complicated and took a while to track down, and it appeared to be something he was responsible for (there are three PT developers working on this one app, and they rarely communicate). So. I spent a rather long amount of time tracking down the issue and reporting it so that it could absolutely be recreated. I emailed him and said "this is in prod only, it's critical/urgent, please let us know blah blah blah." This morning I got in to an email from him that said, essentially, "Yeah, I looked. It's not my problem."

And this is what I would like to tell him. Someday I shall.

You conceited, pompous, arrogant TWIT. This. Is. In. Production. Has it ever OCCURRED to you that perhaps you have responsibility beyond determining whether you broke something? Like, oh, maybe mentioning it to the one who (supposedly) did break it? You are THE period WORST period DEVELOPER period I have ever had the misfortune to work with, not because you introduce defects--all developers do--and not even (just) because it often takes several rounds of defect report hot potato before you buckle down and fix something, but because you take no ownership in your work and deflect responsibility as long as possible. You, sir, SUCK.

... Ah. I feel better.

LongTallSally Guest

Building inspection at 1000h tomorrow morning. I'm usually barely awake and I'll have to be up and ready for someone to come into my flat. Someone is interested in buying the building and they need the inspection first. Damn. Gotta do housework today, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by LongTallSally View Post
    Gotta do housework today, huh?
    I vote no.

LongTallSally Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I vote no.
    I just have to do a quick job. The inspector needs to take a quick look at the plumbing under the sinks or something like that, and I gave the place a good cleaning last week.

Not super ranty, but appropriate I think:

If one has interest and mind to read this, which is a dissection of fatal dog attacks and how the media portrays them as well as a dissection on the incidences that lead up to said attacks, I recommend it. http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...o_download.pdf It is well researched and balanced, if long, read.

For those of you who fear the Pit Bull, be assuaged. Almost all fatal dog attacks have several things in common.
    1. The dog was intact.

2. The dog was a resident dog and not a family pet in the home. Resident dog refers to an animal that is chained or kept in a backyard typically with poor socialization, and normally has purpose of being a guard dog. There is actually no incidence of a neutered pit bull kept as a pet being involved in a fatal incident.

3. The dog was not being responsibly owned. Most instances (as many as 90%) involve an intact male dog running loose or on the end of a chain.

Since Pit bulls are not particularly different from other dogs (Seriously, 1000s of years of evolution is not going to be changed by the last 30 years), the common denominator is the owner. Maybe we should collectively put on our big boy and girl panties and start taking responsibility for our and our animals' actions.

Look at the facts, not the fiction. Support laws that hit bad owners and stop blaming an animal for human misconduct.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Not super ranty, but appropriate I think:

If one has interest and mind to read this, which is a dissection of fatal dog attacks and how the media portrays them as well as a dissection on the incidences that lead up to said attacks, I recommend it. http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/Pit_Bull_Placebo_download.pdf It is well researched and balanced, if long, read.

For those of you who fear the Pit Bull, be assuaged. Almost all fatal dog attacks have several things in common.
    1. The dog was intact.

2. The dog was a resident dog and not a family pet in the home. Resident dog refers to an animal that is chained or kept in a backyard typically with poor socialization, and normally has purpose of being a guard dog. There is actually no incidence of a neutered pit bull kept as a pet being involved in a fatal incident.

3. The dog was not being responsibly owned. Most instances (as many as 90%) involve an intact male dog running loose or on the end of a chain.

Since Pit bulls are not particularly different from other dogs (Seriously, 1000s of years of evolution is not going to be changed by the last 30 years), the common denominator is the owner. Maybe we should collectively put on our big boy and girl panties and start taking responsibility for our and our animals' actions.

Look at the facts, not the fiction. Support laws that hit bad owners and stop blaming an animal for human misconduct.
    That was kind of a lame rant. I mean, look at all those ... facts. I am disappoint, but I know you can do better.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast