Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Films That Are Better Than The Book - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

Default Re: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I think the movie version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (US) was better than the book.

Full disclosure though - I HATED the book.

Well, that's not exactly true. I hated the last two, and my hatred for tem created my hatred for a series as a whole. I actually liked the first one.
    Off topic, but this statement totally made me think of my feelings on the His Dark Materials series of books (The Golden Compass/Northern Lights was the first book). The first book was like a breath of fresh air to me - fantasy/sci-fi that didn't resemble anything else I had ever read. Then I read the 2nd book and (to me) it was awful and NOTHING like the first book. Then the 3rd book was just a mess (IMHO). The first book was so good, but it just fell apart for me from there. That made me dislike the whole trilogy.

I have to say I hate the movie version of The Golden Compass so much that I'll never watch it Sorry, couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    Off topic, but this statement totally made me think of my feelings on the His Dark Materials series of books (The Golden Compass/Northern Lights was the first book). The first book was like a breath of fresh air to me - fantasy/sci-fi that didn't resemble anything else I had ever read. Then I read the 2nd book and (to me) it was awful and NOTHING like the first book. Then the 3rd book was just a mess (IMHO). The first book was so good, but it just fell apart for me from there. That made me dislike the whole trilogy.

I have to say I hate the movie version of The Golden Compass so much that I'll never watch it Sorry, couldn't resist!
    That's funny. I did not like the Golden Compass. It's the only series I can remember not finishing. Maybe I should since I'm the opposite of you!!!

...the movie was wonderfully well-adapted, but the "serial novel" is superior as far as this grizzly old Constant Reader is concerned...

I always think the book is better, however Shawshank and Stand By Me are the best movies based on books. I'm not just saying that because they are Mr. King's, perhaps it's because they are short stories and can include most of the plot. Oh and the Green Mile!! OK, it is because they are Mr. King's, he's just simply the best..

Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    I haven't formed the opinion - I'm just telling you what a review said. I made that perfectly clear.
    It may have been perfectly clear to you, but the phrasing of the sentence was confusing to me.
    There was still no need for the snark, though.

Shawshank - loved the book, loved the movie...but with King's stories, I always think the books are better...in this case, it was close to a tie, but the written word still wins!

it's the mitt, fred, isn't it...just a little too tight for such a big guy

frankenstein and dracula both...i've enjoyed many of the movies (thought...not all) far better than i did the original books...sacriledge !!

If you haven't read the book, how can you form the opinion that the film was better?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    I haven't formed the opinion - I'm just telling you what a review said. I made that perfectly clear.
    In your original post you left out an important comma, fredthe3rd, rendering your statement not perfectly clear but clearly imperfect.

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    it's the mitt, fred, isn't it...just a little too tight for such a big guy

frankenstein and dracula both...i've enjoyed many of the movies (thought...not all) far better than i did the original books...sacriledge !!
    I can agree with you on some of the Dracula movies.......although, I did enjoy the book very much.
    As for Frankenstein, I really didn't like the book or the movies.

This thread makes me realize how many books I still need to read, as there are so many great movies based on them which I haven't which I've seen (Gone With the Wind, Moby Dick, Dolores Claiborne, Shawshank, The Body, Vertigo [I bought a copy but I can't read French]). It also reminds me of movies I still need to see, based on books I still need to read ('Salem's Lot, Firestarter). This thread makes me feel lazy.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast