Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Films That Are Better Than The Book - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Default Re: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Rarely does a film exceed a book, at best it can hope to equal it (such as "The Godfather"), but one movie stands out to me as being significantly better and more effective than the book:

Paper Moon.

The majority of the time I have the books to outdo the films. Films are nice, after reading the book. Let the imagination come first, the visuals second.

Fush- I'll have to watch Paper Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I think the movie version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (US) was better than the book.

Full disclosure though - I HATED the book.

Well, that's not exactly true. I hated the last two, and my hatred for tem created my hatred for a series as a whole. I actually liked the first one.

Anyway, I ramble. Excpet for the stupid change for no reason I thought the movie was better.
    I actually didn't read the last two because I didn't love the first one. I gave it three stars on Goodreads. Some of that might have been translation issues ... but I kinda feel like maybe because they were published posthumously, it got a bit more popularity and critical acclaim than it otherwise might have. Maybe. I would be willing to watch the movie, though, if you think it's better than the book.

Better than the book: Twilight. (I have neither seen nor read any but the first book/movie in the series, so this is only about that one.) Considering the lackluster writing and Harlequin-romance-with-sparkly-vampires theme of the book, I thought the movie improved on the book considerably. One really smart move was having the dad, the chief of police, play a bigger part in the movie. It added more meat--okay, it added pretty much all the meat--and also, it makes sense given the occurrences in the story. Having him totally "offscreen" in the book was silly and weak on the part of the author. Plus, while reading the book, I wanted to smack Bella upside her vacuous little head almost all the way through; I didn't get that irritated with the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    ... but I kinda feel like maybe because they were published posthumously, it got a bit more popularity and critical acclaim than it otherwise might have. Maybe. I would be willing to watch the movie, though, if you think it's better than the book.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I would watch the movie though. It was all the interesting stuff with the boring political stuff taken out.

I'll ignore your comments on Twilight because I love all of the books and have read them multiple times, but only because I am incredibly in love with Edward. (Yes, I can't stand Bella.) And the movies don't do Edward justice.

Again, yes I am a 12-year-old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    ...and I've just read my first post and can see how it may have been misconstrued!
    Do I need to apologise multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    Do I need to apologise multiple times?
    NO! Let's all just move on!!

I read Atonment and disliked it so much that I have no interest in the film. Shawshank works equally well as a film and a book IMO. I thought Delores Clairborne was a much better book. My best example of a film that was better than the book is Forrest Gump.

Ah Forrest Gump... I've not read the book, but I've read the Wikipedia page, it may spoil your enjoyment of the film... Follow the link and go to Author Controversy section, it might leave a sour taste in your mouth: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump

Tommyknockers are really not a movie I think but have to say that I liked the movie/series version better than
    the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I would watch the movie though. It was all the interesting stuff with the boring political stuff taken out.

I'll ignore your comments on Twilight because I love all of the books and have read them multiple times, but only because I am incredibly in love with Edward. (Yes, I can't stand Bella.) And the movies don't do Edward justice.

Again, yes I am a 12-year-old girl.
    Better not read my Goodreads review of Twilight, then. It's heavy on the snark.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast