This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Default Re: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Twilight is terrible. And Edward is a jerknozzle. I have read the first one. I couldn't bring myself to care past that. To be fair, romance novels aren't my thing, especially romance novels full of badly wirtten Mary and Gary Sues.

I will have to see what the movies do with Hunger Games. I thought the first book was a really solid example of YA fiction, the second book left something to be desired, and the third book made me very very angry because it was so so bad. It could have been good! But it was terrible. (If your protagonist wakes up at the beginning of nearly EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER you aren't doing it right, and your story needs some serious tweaking.)

As some of you know, I am a Gaiman fangirl (I do not use that word lightly). However, Stardust the movie is superior to Stardust the book. I love most of Gaiman's work, but Stardust just didn't jive with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsycrow View Post
    I thought the LOTR trilogy were better movies than the book. The books could have used an editor--and that's what the movies did; stayed true to the story and the characters without the long lulls.
    I agree. I can recognize how important LOTR was to the fantasy genre (and I have read the trilogy more than once), but it is...a product of it's time. It doesn't help that it is a story about the World that happens to have some characters in it. I tend to prefer character heavy stories (which, btw, is why I love Les Miserables, despite all of Hugo's pontificating) and that isn't what LOTR is ultimately focused on.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I also like 'Jaws', the movie, better than the book. I recently finished 'The Turn of the Screw' and although I enjoyed it, I can honestly say I liked the movie better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post

But you're still my favorite
    I better be!

(I bet you knew a pig was coming.)

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    Am I in danger of banishment?
    Nope, you're safe. For some reason that seems to get a pass here.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    As some of you know, I am a Gaiman fangirl (I do not use that word lightly). However, Stardust the movie is superior to Stardust the book. I love most of Gaiman's work, but Stardust just didn't jive with me.
    I love Stardust as both a book and a movie, but I agree that the movie is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    Wow, there are a lot of minefields to navigate here. I lent my Kindle to my teenage daughter one time and it came back with one of the hunger games books on it.

Am I in danger of banishment?
    Not with me. I zipped through all 3 at the start of the year and thought they were excellent. And I'm an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Not with me. I zipped through all 3 at the start of the year and thought they were excellent. And I'm an old man.
    I did the exact same thing in February! Really enjoyed them. (and it had a Stephen King quote on the back cover!)

I liked the Green Mile movie and book. I thought both put in pretty strong performance.

Quote Originally Posted by arista View Post
    I liked the Green Mile movie and book. I thought both put in pretty strong performance.
    I agree both versions are excellent

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast