This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Films That Are Better Than The Book

Default Re: Films That Are Better Than The Book

My first thoughts were THE NATURAL and BIG FISH. BIG FISH was much darker and more disjointed than the movie, and THE NATURAL was damn boring as a book. Liked both movies, though. Oh, and TRAINSPOTTING was a great book, but written in Scottish patois--It exhausted me to read it; I did a lot of it aloud to get the sense of the words. The movie wasn't necessarily better, but it was easier

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Twilight is terrible. And Edward is a jerknozzle. I have read the first one. I couldn't bring myself to care past that. To be fair, romance novels aren't my thing, especially romance novels full of badly wirtten Mary and Gary Sues.

I will have to see what the movies do with Hunger Games. I thought the first book was a really solid example of YA fiction, the second book left something to be desired, and the third book made me very very angry because it was so so bad. It could have been good! But it was terrible. (If your protagonist wakes up at the beginning of nearly EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER you aren't doing it right, and your story needs some serious tweaking.)

As some of you know, I am a Gaiman fangirl (I do not use that word lightly). However, Stardust the movie is superior to Stardust the book. I love most of Gaiman's work, but Stardust just didn't jive with me.
    I'm with ya on the Hunger Games novels. I like the first one, but by the third book I was actually rooting for Panem instead of the resistance. Whatever it took to shut up Katniss' multiple page melodramatic dialogues.......lol
    Last edited by ghost19; October 23rd, 2013 at 01:05 PM.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by skimom2 View Post
    Oh, and TRAINSPOTTING was a great book, but written in Scottish patois--It exhausted me to read it; I did a lot of it aloud to get the sense of the words. The movie wasn't necessarily better, but it was easier
    I tried to read Trainspotting and just couldn't do it. I think me trying to read Trainspotting is like a Scottish person trying to read Huck Finn. I loved the movie and I'm sure the book is great (JD highly recommended it). I'm going to give it another shot one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I tried to read Trainspotting and just couldn't do it. I think me trying to read Trainspotting is like a Scottish person trying to read Huck Finn. I loved the movie and I'm sure the book is great (JD highly recommended it). I'm going to give it another shot one of these days.
    It was a challenge, I have to say that--lol. Reading a loud helped a lot--my daughter did that to get through Joseph's Yorkshire dialect in WUTHERING HEIGHTS, and I thought it was brilliant, so I tried it

I read The Body a short while ago and I was a bit dissapointed, given how much I loved Stand By Me. This is one of those instances for me where the film is better than the book.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it is generally accepted that The Wizzard Of Oz is better than the book, I haven't read it (although I got it for free on my Kobo mini via the Gutenberg Project) - does this one sound about right?

The book and movie of WIZARD of OZ are wildly different, and so difficult to compare. Consider it a THE SHINING situation and try to look at one without reference to the other--they both come off better that way.

Yeah, I did a little looking after I made that post, apparently, there are over 40 major differences between the 2. The shining is probably not the best example to use on me - I am one of the very few (you could probably count us on your fingers and toes) who thought the shining was OK at best. I MUCH prefered the film.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789