Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
A Library With No Books - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Library With No Books

Default Re: A Library With No Books

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Why even have that kind of library at all, couldn't the same thing be accomplished a lot cheaper online? Seems like more of a publicity stunt than a library.
    Speaking as a former poor child, the library is a haven for children whose parents can't afford to buy them books. They'll be checking out e-readers as well. It also is a quiet study space, if you need something like that. That being said, I think the design could use some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    I agree with your little face.

All of you e-reader reader's out there - this is what you're making the world come to. You scare me.

Someone tell me what happens when we have a massive worldwide blackout and we can no read? (Okay, maybe I watch too much Revolution.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Someone tell me what happens when we have a massive worldwide blackout and we can no read? (Okay, maybe I watch too much Revolution.)
    And that should definitely say "not read" not "no read."

Oops. I'm passionate.

When we have a massive blackout the books will probably be the first thing people burn.

Anyhoo, I still buy all of my favourite books in paper format. I prefer real books but I love that if I'm bored and want to buy a book to read instantly then I can just download it straight to my Kindle.

And that should definitely say "not read" not "no read."

Oops. I'm passionate.
    Aww, I liked your "no read"...I read it with a sultry accent. Raawwwrrrr!

Libraries today are suffering from an identity crisis! They are rooted in the past but are trying to keep up with today's technology. I want the library to stay the way it was in my childhood-- quiet, softly lit, and overflowing with books. I even miss that comforting, slightly musty smell that would greet you when you entered. I get depressed when I go to the library now. Half the space is devoted to computers, the lights are too bright, and people don't even really bother to whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    When we have a massive blackout the books will probably be the first thing people burn.

Anyhoo, I still buy all of my favourite books in paper format. I prefer real books but I love that if I'm bored and want to buy a book to read instantly then I can just download it straight to my Kindle.
    AH! So THIS is why I need a gun. So I can shoot someone who tries to burn my books when the lights go out! I'm running out to get my AK-47.

(Kidding, kidding.)

(Kidding, kidding.)
    Hmm...sure yer are.

I agree with your little face.

All of you e-reader reader's out there - this is what you're making the world come to. You scare me.

LOL ... if *I* scare you, you haven't looked around enough.

Until I read it, I wondered what the point was, "Will it just be an empty building where we will go just to be shushed?"

I see what they're saying.

It's odd. There's nothing about having e-books available that means they CAN'T also have paper books. Lots of library systems do both. Mine does, and has for a while now. Of course, there isn't an unlimited budget, but if they're not splashing out tons of money for those clinical readers IN the library, that should go a long way towards keeping both kinds of books. (Besides, those readers will be outdated soon, don't look comfortable, and how many people sit in the library to read a whole book anyway?)

I guess I don't get it. We've had a Kindle for a few years now, and we still buy a lot of traditional books. (And not just so we have something to burn when society goes south, although Ally's comment did give me a giggle. ) I don't know why a LIBRARY of all things would feel the need to go either/or.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast