Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
A Library With No Books - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Library With No Books

Default Re: A Library With No Books

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    AH! So THIS is why I need a gun. So I can shoot someone who tries to burn my books when the lights go out! I'm running out to get my AK-47.

(Kidding, kidding.)
    ...just use this instead...coz ya just know SOME lunkhead will try it...

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    Until I read it, I wondered what the point was, "Will it just be an empty building where we will go just to be shushed?"

I see what they're saying.

It's odd. There's nothing about having e-books available that means they CAN'T also have paper books. Lots of library systems do both. Mine does, and has for a while now. Of course, there isn't an unlimited budget, but if they're not splashing out tons of money for those clinical readers IN the library, that should go a long way towards keeping both kinds of books. (Besides, those readers will be outdated soon, don't look comfortable, and how many people sit in the library to read a whole book anyway?)

I guess I don't get it. We've had a Kindle for a few years now, and we still buy a lot of traditional books. (And not just so we have something to burn when society goes south, although Ally's comment did give me a giggle. ) I don't know why a LIBRARY of all things would feel the need to go either/or.
    I think it's a worthwhile social experiment. If it doesn't work out, well, they can always add shelving and paper books. Aren't you all at least curious to know how it will turn out? I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Aren't you all at least curious to know how it will turn out? I am.
    No.

What a cold and awful space, especially for reading! (Shudder).

LOL ... I know I'm in the minority on this one. I just can't help but imagine how I would have reacted as a kid if someone told me I could check out 20 books from the library and they would all fit in my backpack with room leftover for homework. I would have just peed my pants with excitement; I'm sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grrl View Post
    What a cold and awful space, especially for reading! (Shudder).
    Now that is true. (At least, the part of the space we can see; you can tell from the description that we can't see it all.) But I don't know anyone who *reads* reads at the library anyway. When I go to the library, I'm a hunter looking for a kill. I pick up whatever I have on hold and then prowl through the stacks looking for more fresh meat. But once I have it, I don't eat it right there. I drag it back to my own lair.

The smell of a library is sacred. Old books have the greatest smell in the world!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123