Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Deaf Twins Euthanized - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deaf Twins Euthanized

Default Re: Deaf Twins Euthanized

My main concern with any multiple suicide is that I always wonder if one person felt more strongly about the issue than the other person. For example, what if it was a pact they had made, but one of the brothers really didn't want to do it or felt conflicted when it became a reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    My main concern with any multiple suicide is that I always wonder if one person felt more strongly about the issue than the other person. For example, what if it was a pact they had made, but one of the brothers really didn't want to do it or felt conflicted when it became a reality?
    If you can be persuaded to take your own life do you really need to live?

I know that's really, really mean, but come one. There's not much someone could say that would convince me to kill myself, no matter who they are.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I don't feel they died because they wouldn't be perfect or through laziness. They were already living with being profoundly deaf, so going by that reasoning they were already far from perfect. At least with their sight they could see to maintain their own needs, work, and live an ordinary life but without their sight that would be near impossible. They wouldn't even know if somebody was approaching them, until they felt that persons touch, but even then they wouldn't be able to hear them so wouldn't know what that person wanted. Without sight and hearing the world would be a very intimidating and lonely place.

You don't feel they were brave, and I respect that, but I hope if I was ever in their situation I would be brave enough to make their choice. I have nothing but respect for them, and I find sensational headlines and news reports that don't report the full facts in these type of situations absolutely disgusting.
    Oh I dig what your sayin', and on some level I can even appreciate it, but me, I'm goin' out kickin' and screamin', scratchin' & clawin', pissin' pukin' spittin' & fightin' all the way til lights permanently out, if'n I get my druthers that is, pride & dignity, what's that & what's it good for when your curtain's up, 'cause I'm pretty sure I'll feel like I should have time for another joke god dammit!
    Well, you know how I hate to miss somethin' funny, croakin' on down whilst crackin' up, now that would probably put justa wee damper on the jocularity, doncha think?
    Laugh more, commit suicide less, yeah, that's my motto

They were born together and chose to die together, and neither's hand was forced. I think it would have been clear to the doctor involved if this were the case, and had someone else who knew them known (or felt) that one was being co-erced, it would have become an issue as well. Belgium isn't known for having underhanded laws, nor is it known for people who talk out of both sides of their mouths. They have assisted suicide laws that are intact (legal), and doctors are not paid much for the procedure.

Check this out: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01...o-would-do-it/

How very brave of them and their family, to go the way *they* chose, on *their* terms, being supported by their family. I don't admire suicide at all, but in this case, I think they did the absolutely best humane thing for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    They were born together and chose to die together, and neither's hand was forced. I think it would have been clear to the doctor involved if this were the case, and had someone else who knew them known (or felt) that one was being co-erced, it would have become an issue as well. Belgium isn't known for having underhanded laws, nor is it known for people who talk out of both sides of their mouths. They have assisted suicide laws that are intact (legal), and doctors are not paid much for the procedure.

Check this out: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/14/deaf-twins-killed-by-legal-euthanasia-had-to-search-two-years-before-they-found-someone-who-would-do-it/

How very brave of them and their family, to go the way *they* chose, on *their* terms, being supported by their family. I don't admire suicide at all, but in this case, I think they did the absolutely best humane thing for themselves.
    I think that to decide, whichever way you decide, is always brave. Living (however long) consciously requires guts.

But I think it should be difficult to "qualify" to die by euthanasia. It should not be easy to commit to a decision that cannot be reversed. I don't mind that they had to struggle a bit to find a doctor; a commitment to die should be tested, less it become easily misused. Perhaps someday people in their positions will simply be able to have their vision surgically corrected. I wish that had been an option for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    It should not be easy to commit to a decision that cannot be reversed.
    100% agreed.

I feel the same way about tattoos.

When I was younger I wanted to get my tubes tied. Doctors wouldn't do it because I was too young. I tried and tried and tried. I am now thrilled that they wouldn't as I want a baby very badly.

I think finding a doctor to kill you should be equally as hard, if not more so. Taking your life is a big deal. You should be counseled and talked to and I think people should try to talk you out of it. But I still maintain that it should be your decision to make. Just like tying my tubes would eventually have been. (Most doctors have an age requirement.) I just got lucky that the doctors refused long enough. With death, you can't do that.

I do not agree with this. If a person is in terrible pain with no chance of getting better then I would wish them to have twilight sleep and withheld life-saving measures. My doc doesn't agree with euthanasis...he thinks there is so much that can go wrong there.

I just did not know it was legal.

...I will not moralize here, but will simply say...I hope they are now at peace and "see" the beauty at the end of their paths...they went out their own way, and I sort of envy that...right or wrong-it was their choice...God rest their souls...

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I do not agree with this. If a person is in terrible pain with no chance of getting better then I would wish them to have twilight sleep and withheld life-saving measures. My doc doesn't agree with euthanasis...he thinks there is so much that can go wrong there.
    Of course there's a lot that can go wrong. But a lot can go wrong with drinking, skydiving, or driving a car. Or getting plastic surgery. Or rock-climbing.

I guess I just believe that people shouldn't tell you how to live your life - or death. It is, after all, your life.

But I also think people should do hard drugs and not wear a seat belt or a helmet if they don't want to. (But if they don't, I don't think we should pay for their medical bills!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast