This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Default Re: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Steve doesn't have a public email address so posting here was your best way of getting in touch. Although I don't personally agree with it, I understand your position, and it wouldn't be the first nor will it be the last time that someone has expressed a similar opinion. It won't change the way he writes, though. I hope that, as others have suggested, you may be able to read other stories of his and get past your distraction with the profanity so that you can enjoy the real substance of the story. His books are so much more than vulgar language.
    Thanks, I didn't expect anything I had to say would change the way he writes, I just wanted to let him know. He might at least let the though zip through his mind before disgarding it, who knows. I'd like to enjoy the stories, it's just when the profanity is excessive it becomes a distraction for me. I want to concentrate on the plot and what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
    No offense but if I want to bring up my "religous" beliefs, I will, if there's no rule against it or the if it's ok with the mods. I don't leave them at the church when I walk out the door. And I've already gotten the message about Mr. King's books, thanks. So please back off already. I'm trying to be nice.
    No. You were the one who was rude so I will not back off until Ms Mod decides my posts are unacceptable and refuses to post them. I certainly won't have you telling me what I can and can't respond to, if I have something to say then you better believe I will say it! And that's me trying to be nice.

Your initial post appeared to be more of a rant than a pleasant request to reach Mr King. You even posted it in a ridiculously large font size in the hope of emphasising your point, which didn't work by the way, whenever I see a post written in such a huge font it reminds me of a spoiled child stamping their feet. Anyhoo, in your subsequent posts--but not all--you have been more pleasant/approachable, and attempted to interact instead of rant. How you act with others here will affect the reactions you receive, either for good or bad. But hey, whatever!

Pee Ess; just to clarify, sarcastic remarks are a big no-no,

so stay out of this thread Gnt and Pith,
    but rudeness towards people with opinions you don't like is okay?

We've been here before, folks, and what I would like now is to move on. Comments and responses have been made. I don't see a point to continuing with who is ruder than whom. I would like to make sure we can agree that there will be people with different points of view and while debate is welcome, let's all not let it get personal.

Speaking of fonts... actually I'll put it in a new thread.

What I really wanted to do to start with was email Mr. King but since I couldn't find anywhere where you could do that I found this message board and it was said that Mr. King sometimes read some of the posts so this was the closest I could get. I'm sorry if people don't like my opinions on something I've read. I just happen to think that a good story can be told without excessive profanity. Hey, that's just me. I think too much of it distracts from the plot/storyline. In my case, a negative distraction. I just wanted to let Mr. King know even though I'm sure the opinion of one person isn't going to influence how he chooses to write. I haven't decided not to read any other King books. I've always been interested in mystery, sci-fi, scary stuff and still am to a certain extent. It's not the only stuff I like to read. Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement.
    You are welcome.
    If I may be totally honest, I have found the language and sexual content at times disconcerting myself. I would never want SK to change that though; then his writing would seem false to his constant readers. We all have varying thresholds of what makes us uncomfortable. You voiced your opinion and it obviously struck a nerve in some people. You did not call for censorship, which some took your post as proposing. It was an honest post. I think your only mistake was in being so forceful as a first time poster; it rubbed some people the wrong way. But as I said before, you have shown yourself to be more than what people first thought you were and have stepped up to the plate to defend and explain yourself. And for that I applaud you.

I don't want to address the OP's remarks directly as Ms. Mod wants us to move on. I will say that whenever I come across a book I do not enjoy (for whatever reason), I put it down and move on to another one. Life is too short to waste on stories that do not reach you or do so in the wrong way. Vote with your wallet and move on. You will be happier. We will be happier. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    We've been here before, folks, and what I would like now is to move on. Comments and responses have been made. I don't see a point to continuing with who is ruder than whom. I would like to make sure we can agree that there will be people with different points of view and while debate is welcome, let's all not let it get personal.
    No problem, I will post in here no more.

I received a few messages but and responded to one of you but when I went back to try to respond to the other two they weren't there so If I don't respond it's because I lost the message. Whoever welcomed me to the board, thank you. Can anyone tell me why the other messages disappeared?

I could really do without the sarcastic remarks but, hey, whatever.
    ...better develop a thicker skin then, because when you attempt to become a member of this community, and proclaim in your first line that "I know you don't care, but I feel it necessary to voice my opinion anyway" or words to that effect, you have set the stage for rejoinders you may not care for or agree with. Don't come in here with strong opinions, and not expect to have those who don't agree with you-try to knock you back a few pegs...sorry you don't care for profanity, but this is Stephen King, not "Dick & Jane"...know your author, before you start to read...God knows there's a forest worth of reviews out there that would have clued you in and allowed you to spare your delicate sensibilities...but hey, whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    No. You were the one who was rude so I will not back off until Ms Mod decides my posts are unacceptable and refuses to post them. I certainly won't have you telling me what I can and can't respond to, if I have something to say then you better believe I will say it! And that's me trying to be nice.

Your initial post appeared to be more of a rant than a pleasant request to reach Mr King. You even posted it in a ridiculously large font size in the hope of emphasising your point, which didn't work by the way, whenever I see a post written in such a huge font it reminds me of a spoiled child stamping their feet. Anyhoo, in your subsequent posts--but not all--you have been more pleasant/approachable, and attempted to interact instead of rant. How you act with others here will affect the reactions you receive, either for good or bad. But hey, whatever!

Pee Ess; just to clarify, sarcastic remarks are a big no-no,

so stay out of this thread Gnt and Pith,
    but rudeness towards people with opinions you don't like is okay?

My only response to this is the size of the font is the result of typing it somewhere else and copying and pasting it here. It was not deliberate. And I could not see the resulting size since my posts had to be approved before being posted.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast