Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mr. King RE: Under the Dome - Page 6

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Default Re: Mr. King RE: Under the Dome

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    You are welcome.
    If I may be totally honest, I have found the language and sexual content at times disconcerting myself. I would never want SK to change that though; then his writing would seem false to his constant readers. We all have varying thresholds of what makes us uncomfortable. You voiced your opinion and it obviously struck a nerve in some people. You did not call for censorship, which some took your post as proposing. It was an honest post. I think your only mistake was in being so forceful as a first time poster; it rubbed some people the wrong way. But as I said before, you have shown yourself to be more than what people first thought you were and have stepped up to the plate to defend and explain yourself. And for that I applaud you.
    Yes, I was a bit forceful which I can tend to be sometimes when I feel strongly about something but the post is actually more of a letter meant for Mr. King. I heard he sometimes came here. But I think I probably made a mistake in saying anything here. Since I couldn't contact him, I should have just let it go. But now that I'm here I'll probably stick around and check out the rest of the board. I may not always be here much because I have another board I spend more time at but I'm going to look around at some of the other forums and topics.

Quote Originally Posted by champ1966 View Post
    Did you think Under The Dome was about a poor little christian girl who's been living in her own little bubble for the last 35 years?
    Oh, now you owe me a new keyboard.....I just spewed my iced tea through my nose.

so...does that rule out blue jokes, too ?

sid the blueberry was walking down the street when he saw sam the blueberry talkin animatedly to no one in particular...so, thinking sam was off his rocker, he sidled up and gave him the once over...

'who ya talkin' to, sam ?'

'oh, hi sam...i'm just on my bluetooth !'

and sam said...wait for it...'hey...they're all blue teeth !'

Curse words are just words that somebody decided this is bad, it doesn't really mean that they are bad, they are just words that some people choose to put too much meaning behind.

tru-dat, danny lee...

i've always thought that an ethical person...well centered in their philosophies...would not at all afraid or encumbered by anothers theology or use of individualistic idiomatic timbres

in the end...if you're afraid of a word...you are far weaker than you realize

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee Severn View Post
    Curse words are just words that somebody decided this is bad, it doesn't really mean that they are bad, they are just words that some people choose to put too much meaning behind.
    Really? The Lord said not to take His name in vain.
    Colossians 4:5-7

King James Version (KJV)

5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

That you choose to follow those beliefs you hold dear is admirable, but not everyone chooses to do so or has those same beliefs. Stephen creates fictional characters who live in the real world and in the real world there are both those who do follow the teachings you believe in and those who do not.

Is that how they got the term "Salty Language?"

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post

King James Version (KJV)

5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
    He also had a lot to say about judging others......Just sayin' ♥
    1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mk. 4.24
    3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
    5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Matthew 7 vs 1-6

Quote Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post

King James Version (KJV)

Heh. You are going to quote the Bible at us now? I think you should go back to my advice earlier, reread it, and embrace it. In Danse Macabre, Mr. King makes a comment which I think is very useful. I don't have the text in front of me so I am probably going to paraphrase despite my best intentions:

"Fiction reveals truths to us by telling lies about people who never existed."

I think you should consider that statement for a bit. There is value in stories which show people doing bad things. There is no night without the day; the road to heaven is made interesting only by demons along the way. I would suggest that stories (and Stephen King's stories do this in particular) highlight the bad and good behavior. They elevate us even as they show some descend. All that lofty language aside, we are talking about imaginary people living imaginary lives. You have your own soul to worry about without having to stress out about imaginary people or those that create them. I think you have a great career waiting for you in the pulpit, but unless you haven't noticed... this isn't a Church. We aren't your flock.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast