This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Disappointed

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Just north of Duma Key
    Posts
    11,220

    Default Re: Disappointed

    The Dark Tower journey is different than most of the SK books. As one looks to SK works, a universe in fact, there is romance, horror, compassion, themes of good versus evil, fantasy, and adventure. To each his own as to what appeals to the readers taste. Personally, I found the Dark Tower journey to be life altering. Perhaps, at another point in your life, you'll pick up the books again and see the journey in a different light.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Poor GNT is "Uber" what's that mean?

    ...diarreah of the keyboard...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Disappointed

    It's okay, TEDG65, so they weren't your cup of tea, at least you gave 'em a try. They are quite different from SK's usual stuff so that is understandable that not every SK fan is going to like them as much as his other stuff.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    Sorry if someone else pointed this out, Robert Gray but member status reflects the number of posts that that was made by the member. That said we sure have a lot of "Senior Members" here! Poor GNT is "Uber" what's that mean?
    <laughs> I never knew that. I just thought it was the board's nice way of warning us to be gentle with the younger set. I never noticed it on myself then until I was already a Senior. I still suspect, given the comments, that the person in question is younger than myself. There is an age (and certainly a mindset) that values only certain things in stories. My "red flag" for this mindset is when I hear people talk about the "good parts."

    All that being said, if the poster is as old and jaded as me, my apologies. I still think you are missing the forest for the trees with that mindset.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    dublin ireland
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Please give it another go sometime. When The Gunslinger first came out I tried it and had no interest in it at all. I only got interested after Wind Through the Keyhole. I've told this story before, but I think it's worth one more go. I got a book voucher and saw WTTK in the shop. Read the preface that said it could be read as a stand alone novel. Gave it a go and only wanted more. Read them one after th other until I was done. I was much older this time than I was when The Gunslinger. Maybe time will give you a bit of perspective.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    10,280

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    <laughs> I never knew that. I just thought it was the board's nice way of warning us to be gentle with the younger set. I never noticed it on myself then until I was already a Senior. I still suspect, given the comments, that the person in question is younger than myself. There is an age (and certainly a mindset) that values only certain things in stories. My "red flag" for this mindset is when I hear people talk about the "good parts."

    All that being said, if the poster is as old and jaded as me, my apologies. I still think you are missing the forest for the trees with that mindset.
    Hi, Robert Gray. Imho, in terms of sK appreciation the territory sK covers is the greater determinant. In fact logic might dictate an older person prefer the earlier works. I guess what I'm saying is anyone assuming he can absorb and keep up with sK will be disappointed. That person has the wrong goal. I think the matured sK CR has learned when they get on the ride to cast assumptions aside or else they might miss it.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    <laughs> I never knew that. I just thought it was the board's nice way of warning us to be gentle with the younger set. I never noticed it on myself then until I was already a Senior. I still suspect, given the comments, that the person in question is younger than myself. There is an age (and certainly a mindset) that values only certain things in stories. My "red flag" for this mindset is when I hear people talk about the "good parts."

    All that being said, if the poster is as old and jaded as me, my apologies. I still think you are missing the forest for the trees with that mindset.
    Kind of a broad brush you're painting with there. By the time DT VII was released I was only 22 and had read essentially the entire King library to that point in time. With that background put out there let me continue... as with almost any work there are points where there are lulls which may be different for each person depending on their personal tastes. "Good parts" could mean action, character development, plot development or any number of things and conversely the lulls could mean any of those things as well. For some people enough of those lulls can sully them on the experience as a whole and this can remain so even into someone's dotage. Hell, it could be something as simple as not enjoying something because you have no point of common reference to draw your interest.

    I guess its just a long winded way of saying it may not be an age thing. Also as someone whose first King experience was reading IT as a 4th or 5th grade kid I may be a bit sensitive to the age comments, lol.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Hi, Robert Gray. Imho, in terms of sK appreciation the territory sK covers is the greater determinant. In fact logic might dictate an older person prefer the earlier works. I guess what I'm saying is anyone assuming he can absorb and keep up with sK will be disappointed. That person has the wrong goal. I think the matured sK CR has learned when they get on the ride to cast assumptions aside or else they might miss it.
    I'm not sure I follow you at all. Why would logic dictate older readers would prefer his older works? I agree with the notion that the Constant Reader (or any reader) will do better to cast assumptions aside and sink into each new story. I just don't think I am understanding the rest of what you have to say.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    995

    Default Re: Disappointed

    I think its sad that you were unable to grasp this DT journey as I did. Not everyone will grab the reins and hop in that saddle. Personally I was roped and tied at the first sentence-but thats never happened before. I dont know what it was but I could practically taste the grit and dust and wanted to beg Roland for a sip-just a sip of water. I was into westerns at the time and much younger so thats my excuse. Perhaps if you just got the paperback so you could refer back at times it might keep things fresher for you. good luck and keep reading!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    3,331

    Default Re: Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    Sorry if someone else pointed this out, Robert Gray but member status reflects the number of posts that that was made by the member. That said we sure have a lot of "Senior Members" here! Poor GNT is "Uber" what's that mean?

    You can delete, Marsha if you or anyone else said what I said.
    "Poor GNTLGNT is "uber" - what's that mean" - does it mean he is an uber gentleman?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •