Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Disappointed - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Default Re: Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you at all. Why would logic dictate older readers would prefer his older works? I agree with the notion that the Constant Reader (or any reader) will do better to cast assumptions aside and sink into each new story. I just don't think I am understanding the rest of what you have to say.
    I'm just suggesting that since older readers were alive when the earlier works came out they might hold a preference for them for a reason such as nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by TEDG65 View Post
    Maybe I am more of a King horror fan, but I just finished reading all 8 volumes of the Dark Tower and while I found it very enjoyable at times, I thought a lot of it was bloated and took
    too long to get to the interesting parts....I thought the whole story was just ok and Wolves Of The Calla was a pretty good section but Song Of Susannah and other parts just seemed to go on about nothing and were hard to get through....
    You're disappointed? I just bought volumes 1 to 4 of the Dark Tower series and now I just found out there are four more! And here I was congratulating myself on buying 25 Stephen King books at once. It was a real splurge for me. But then I had to compare it to my husband who actually considering paying $140 extra per person on our return flight from Mexico to Canada just to upgrade to Comfort Class (which I think means First Class). That would have been 420 bucks for a 4 1/2 hour flight! I will just have to keep my eyes open for the next four volumes I used to get all of my books from the library at one time but I have decided I would like to start collecting Stephen King books (and possibly DVDs as well).

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I'm just suggesting that since older readers were alive when the earlier works came out they might hold a preference for them for a reason such as nostalgia.
    Nostalgia would imply that there is a specific feel or style to the older books as opposed to the newer ones, and that old coots would just "cotton to it" more because it reminds them of the good old days. I suppose this is possible but I find it highly unlikely. A good story is a good story and never really goes out of style. It also bears mention that I suspect that Sai King (like his character in Bag of Bones) has published many books over the years that were written far earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    "Poor GNTLGNT is "uber" - what's that mean" - does it mean he is an uber gentleman?
    ...nah...they just left the "T" off...it's supposed to say "tuber", coz I'm such a potato-head...

I read the first four DT books all at once in 1999, then read the fifth one just this year. I don't know if age has anything to do with it, but I find no problems today sitting through the slower parts of these books (and books in general) compared to my twenties or thirties. And I like longer books these days, as well.
    You know, if they ever get around to releasing the whole DT series in one volume, I'd be tickled pink.

For those who might have been disappointed in the DT series, keep this in mind. Although known for his horror classics, Stephen King, IMO is not a "horror writer". IMO, he is simply a great author. Can he make you laugh as easily as he can scare the hell out of you? Yes. Can he spin a love story that will make you shed a tear? Well, if you've ever read 11/22/63, then you know he can. He can develop a character. He can make socio-political commentary. He can straight up gross you out and make you gag when he wants to.

I would say this... don't pigeonhold the man as a horror writer. Keep an open mind, and just enjoy his tales... because they're all intertwined.....

I think the first four books are some of the greatest pieces of literature that I've ever read. But, I do feel that the last three don't live up to their predecessors.

I personally don't think its an age thing but rather that King has such diversity in his stories. I enjoy hearing/reading about other people's favourite stories by King and, although IT and the Stand usually stand (pardon the pun) out, it intrigues me that people mention stories that would not have crossed my mind when thinking of my favourite.
    I think everyone, for whatever reason, reaches out to different stories in different ways and I think your personal circumstances while reading also play a part of how you recall a story further down the line.

Personally, I read all of the DT stories while at university (between 2001-2004) apart from Wind Through the Keyhole for obvious reasons which is why I do not think the issue with the DT is an age thing. I too struggled a tad through Gunslinger but then the stories took over....could not put them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    Nostalgia would imply that there is a specific feel or style to the older books as opposed to the newer ones, and that old coots would just "cotton to it" more because it reminds them of the good old days. I suppose this is possible but I find it highly unlikely. A good story is a good story and never really goes out of style. It also bears mention that I suspect that Sai King (like his character in Bag of Bones) has published many books over the years that were written far earlier.
    The nostalgia of reading a book one read years ago does not necessarily have to do with the content of the book; it could be more about what was happening at the time of reading the book. One's environment has a lot of impact on what we refer to as "nostalgia."

Quote Originally Posted by Roland17 View Post
    I think your personal circumstances while reading also play a part of how you recall a story further down the line.
    Good point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast