This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could you/Would you go fully digital?

Default Re: Could you/Would you go fully digital?

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gust View Post
    Call me silly if you want, but it sounds medically unhealthy to me to keep adding more and more electronics to our lives. When I think of it, I have visions of invisible electronic waves bombarding my body from every angle, 24/7. Also, it would mess up my style of decorating to have lots of electronics around. I like the turn-of-the century (19th to 20th) arts and crafts look. I tell you, I have to keep working harder and harder to remain in the past!
    Some of you might find this odd considering my untiring defense of technology against all prevailing winds, but my perfect house would have all these helpful gadgets ... completely hidden away. I am adamant that we not have a TV in the main area of the house or in the bedroom, and if we had to because of space, I would want it in a cabinet where I could completely close it off. Built in bookshelves in every room, too. (My perfect house also has a secret passage, but that's harder to pull off.)

Yes, that's right. I would like to have my cake and eat it too, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    No way. I currently avoid going as digital as possible. I like to actually touch my things.
    Get a room!

I have all of my CDs burned on to my computer, and all of my new music is digital (bought and paid for, no stealing for me thank you!) I love the convenience of having all of my music in one place, so when I'm driving around I can have any song I want right there whenever I want it. It was a bummer when my iPod was stolen, but since all my music was on my computer at home, I could load it onto a new iPod and I was back in business (after I paid for a new iPod. But, that would have happened if my stereo were stolen.)

When all the music is on a different digital format, I will be unhappy, but it will be the same as having to upgrade from 8-track to cassette to CD, etc. Life is change, and change can be painful and expensive.

All of the books that I buy on paper, are on paper (and audio on audio). And the books that I buy on digital are on digital. Never the twain shall meet, I know of no way to convert them and really don't see any reason to. Same with movies. I don't get the repeats out of books and movies that I do out of music (even my favorite books are stretching it to get 10 reads out of, same with movies, where I can easily listen to a favorite song 100s of times.)

So, I'm sort of digital, in some things.

I like to actually touch my things.
    *snicker, snicker....guffaw*

You guys are gross.

Anyway, I read an article about a family that went completely non-tech in their house. Nothing. No TV, Internet, or electronic toys even. I would consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by fredthe3rd View Post
    Get a room!
    Yeah for you and your android girlfriend! (ooops I meant boyfriend) (Sorry - I'm just jealous - we tried oral sex but talking about it was just not the same)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    You guys are gross.
    I know right.

Anyway, I read an article about a family that went completely non-tech in their house. Nothing. No TV, Internet, or electronic toys even. I would consider that.
    Me too, actually. I can see the appeal and benefits of that.

You know ... it might be that I am just a lemonade from lemons kind of person. I'm beginning to suspect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JordyVerrill View Post
    I will never give up actual books made out of paper. My mother won a Kindle at her work's Christmas party and she gave it to me, since she still hasn't figured out how to use a VCR, but I hate the thing. It's sitting on a shelf in my room covered in dust already. She's already said she doesn't mind if I just decide to sell it, but I've just been too lazy to put an ad on Craigslist.

Anybody want to buy a paper white Kindle that's only been used for like 1 hour total?
    Yeah sure - I heard they make good cutting boards for vegetables... or is that an I Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    Nah. I like books. Everything else can go digital, but there is something magical about the smell of ink and paper.
    And don't forget the glue.

You guys are gross.
    ...you say that like it's a bad thing...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast