This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cookbooks

Default Re: Favorite cookbooks

My favorite cookbook is titled "To Serve Man".

Wikipedia reference-linkTo Serve Man (The Twilight Zone)

Sandra Lee enjoys those cocktails a little too much. Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet, was a minister and was never charged or convicted of a crime. But, he did do a payout to his accusers. The thing that I remember from him?

"Hot pain, cold oil."

I have been compiling a 'cookbook' from recipes I find on allrecipes.com. I type in what I am defrosting and, voila, up pops 600+ recipes using that ingredient. Most recipes are portioned for 4 eaters but allrecipes has a place where you can change that number to how many mouths you will be feeding and the recipe adjusts accordingly.

Todash, thank you for the recipe, it's already in my 'cookbook'!

That sounds delish! Thank you for sharing it!

When I got my first apartment (with postage stamp sized kitchen) my mom gave me a copy of The Joy of Cooking. 22 years later, I still find I flip through it anytime I am looking to do something new or a technique I haven't tried before. It's a classic for a reason!

Joy of Cooking is great for basic recipes and explanations. (How to debone something, cuts of meat and where they are on an animal, why chocolate and water don't mix, etc.)

My favorites are

-the Foods of the World series published by Time-Life in the late '60s and early '70s;
    -the Red Sage cookbook (defunct restaurant in Washington, D.C.);
    -Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Julia Child)

...and a metal recipe box full of family recipes, friends' recipes (there's even a prized one in there from PatIntheHat!), and ones culled from Gourmet.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook that was my grandmother's then my mother's and now it's mine...it's almost falling apart, but instead of buying a newer version, I want to keep this old one. Maybe I'll tape it up and my daughter can have it later on down the line..she likes baking and we both refer to it regularly.

Nellie Lyle Pattinson's Canadian Cook Book (inherited from my Mom) and my second favourite is "Food that Really Schmecks" by Edna Staebler. Can we put down a third or fourth? I like the old Betty Crocker cookbook and I often pull out the Better Homes and Gardens one as well. Hubby just has all his recipes memorized but he has been cooking for over 40 years as a profession. I never memorize any recipes (brain has limited memory capacity)

Todash - Are there enough recipes for veggies that I should spend the money? I hate buying a cook book and being able to use three pages.

My mom has a cookbook that I love and need a copy of. I think it's called Crème de Colorado, and has loads of delicious recipes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast