This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cookbooks

Default Re: Favorite cookbooks

I have a lot of cookbooks that I find I only use bits and peices. So now my favorite cookbook is Allrecipes.com. I get ideas for all sorts of things I never would have tried. The ones that I really like I write down and keep in a box and that is turning into my favorite cookbook.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

We go on allrecipes.com too, doowopgirl..it is a good site full of many great recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Todash - Are there enough recipes for veggies that I should spend the money? I hate buying a cook book and being able to use three pages.
    My gut says yes, but you know what, I will do a quick review with an eye to that and let you know. How do you feel about fresh bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    My gut says yes, but you know what, I will do a quick review with an eye to that and let you know. How do you feel about fresh bread?
    LOVE IT. Happy to spend a long time kneading!

united methodist.. his accusors all settled out of court so I don't think he was ever charged. I used to watch his shows too, still cut my onions the way he taught.

I'm a bonafide cookbook hoarder. This book is by far the most beatup and messy in my collection, second to my private cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Prud.../dp/0688028470

the fat man knows his food.

Okay, Shasta, I would say yes, buy it, but ... you're not going to find a lot of recipes for anything. Meaning, it's not page after page of recipes. There are probably fewer than a hundred of what could be called recipes in the entire book, most of which (by the by) have nothing to do with meat or fish. But the value of those 70 or what have you that could be classified as vegetarian is considerable.

It's less a cookbook than an effort at seduction--and a successful one at that--an attempt to lure you into being fully present in the kitchen. Wednesday evening I spent two hours making French onion soup (well, the soup took that long; the time it took from me was considerably less), and not only was the soup delicious, but making it was so thoughtful and focused a thing, yet so relaxing, that it felt very similar to what I imagine successful meditation to be like. I almost regret not making more, but the experiencing of creating it was such that I rather look forward to doing it again. A friend of mine taught me the very applicable Greek word meraki (pronounced may-rah-kee): Doing something with soul, creativity, or love. That is what this book is about.

This weekend, inspired by this book, I'm going to start some sourdough starters. One with a commercial starter that I've had for a while but haven't used, one with just flour and water (so, using only whatever wild yeast I have floating around my kitchen), and one flour and water with some grapes tossed in. (Did you know that powdery stuff on the outside of grapes was yeast? Me neither.)

Uh, I meant "Hot pan, cold oil."

I'm not interested in hot pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Sandra Lee enjoys those cocktails a little too much. Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet, was a minister and was never charged or convicted of a crime. But, he did do a payout to his accusers. The thing that I remember from him?

"Hot pain, cold oil."

There is a Frugual Gormet joke in there somewhere

Fannie Flagg of 'Fried Green Tomatoes' fame put out a cookbook with lots of old-fashioned yummy recipes and yes, there is a recipe for fried green tomatoes. Be forewarned- the recipes aren't for those who are watching their waistline!!

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    This weekend, inspired by this book, I'm going to start some sourdough starters. One with a commercial starter that I've had for a while but haven't used, one with just flour and water (so, using only whatever wild yeast I have floating around my kitchen), and one flour and water with some grapes tossed in. (Did you know that powdery stuff on the outside of grapes was yeast? Me neither.)
    I've been spending years murdering yeasts by species and generations. I've never produced anything better than a dense doorstop, at least using pure sourdough yeasts without cheating. Best of luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast