Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Your thoughts about Steve's essay - Page 15

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Default Re: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

I am glad that Stephen King made this stand in his essay. It inspired me to contact my representative although the response was quite dismal. I agree with everything the essay said. Thank you S K !

Dear ----
    Thank you for contacting me regarding Second Amendment rights and gun laws in this country. I sincerely appreciate the benefit of your views.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama signed 23 Executive Orders relating to the problem of gun violence in America. Ranging from federal background checks, gun seizures, and mental health parity regulations, the President has once again decided to circumvent the role of Congress. The Constitution dictates that we must have a transparent and open discussion on issues of national importance, a discussion that allows the voices of all Americans to be heard rather than the sole voice of the Executive Branch. After situations such as the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, millions of U.S. citizens have indicated that they want to be able to protect themselves and their families. The fundamental right to bear arms cannot be trampled upon.

After the President's Executive Orders were outlined, I signed onto two letters with my colleagues to the President to express our strong dismay that he is attempting to infringe upon the second amendment rights of our nation. The first letter, circulated by Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN) emphasizes that, as the Supreme Court has affirmed, we have a duty to ensure that law-abiding citizens are not stripped of their constitutional rights by an overreaching federal government. The second letter, circulated by Rep. Dan Benishek (R-MI) urges a respect for human life and human dignity and encourages the President to work through the legislative process rather than pursuing action solely determined by the Executive Branch. In regards to legislation put forth in the House or the Senate relating to gun control, I must emphasize that I cannot support any bill that would infringe upon our fundamental Second amendment rights.

When our Founding Fathers adopted the Bill of Rights, they specifically included a right for individuals to keep and bear arms. They wisely knew that if the people were armed, there would always be a built-in protection against criminal activity and tyranny. As an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner, I have consistently fought to protect the right to keep and bear arms.

While many call for more gun laws, we need to enforce the laws that are already on the books. The true solution to gun violence is not creating more laws, but rather in something Congress can't do—changing the basic values people cherish. The solution to violence lies in our homes, schools, and places of worship as people learn the value of the lives of others. We can all work toward addressing those basic attitudes.

Along these same lines, it is important to protect firearm manufacturers from groups that try to shut them down through legal means. Gun makers, just like manufacturers of kitchen knives, make a product, and should not be held liable when that product is used in criminal activity. People make decisions to misuse products—the product itself does not cause the crime.

Hearing from my constituents allows me to better understand your perspective, and how they impact the future of Georgia and the nation. As your representative in Congress, I will continue to take your views into consideration as legislation moves through the process for votes. Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts. For additional information regarding current legislation and my representation of the Third District, I invite you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/westmoreland , and to receive my monthly newsletter, you can sign up on my website at http://westmoreland.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/ .

Sincerely,
    Lynn A Westmoreland
    Member of Congress

P.S. Please do not reply to this email, this is an unattended mailbox. Due to the large number of constituent emails received each day, all electronic constituent comments must be entered through my official website. Replies to this email address will not receive a response.

Quote Originally Posted by KCE View Post
    In my opinion it doesn't really matter what is discussed or posted about this issue.....bottom line, guns aren't going away and neither is madness or atrocity. Harnessing certain weaponry and the mentally ill would certainly help, but won't curtail an individual from doing something horrendous if they are bent on doing it.
    I'm quoting you again because I ran across this tonight and it made me think of your post again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Huh, the Vietnam vets I know didn't sit in a leather chair in Virginia controlling a drone with a joystick and dropping bombs on questionable targets? Hmmm?

Yeah, I get it, your guy is at the helm so it's ok to slaughter innocent kids. Pathetic and shameful...

and that sorry reply of yours, have I been against war my whole life? Seriously?

If a pea shooter is incapable of hitting a squirrel, how can a maniac possibly expect to slaughter 20, 30 or 40 school children? But I digress. I'm bored with feeding the fish. *Yawn* Bite someone else's ankles. Someone who isn't sticking to the subject of gun control, perhaps someone more interested in semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkeykid View Post
    Care to answer the question? Do you have any original thoughts on newtown? Or, do you believe the msm media account? Simple.
    It might help if we knew who you were addressing your questions to...specific members here or Stephen King? If it's King then he probably isn't going to answer you since he has already voiced his opinion in Guns, the man doesn't really need to share anything else. If you are questioning other members here then please use the quote function so we know exactly whom you are expecting answers from. It makes debate/conversing that little bit easier.

As to your earlier posting regarding we have no idea what happened at Sandy Hook; what do you think happened? I've read your posts and you've never actually flat out stated your opinion without trying to tell others what they should be thinking and looking at...so what do you actually think?

Also, I find your comment about Robbie Parker not exhibiting the appropriate behaviour for a grieving father repulsive. You do not know the man, his family, or his beliefs. What you see in public does not always correspond with what happens in the privacy of a persons home, or their behaviour around those they trust. For all we know that man could cry himself to sleep every night and have to forcibly drag himself out of bed every morning. As a husband and father he may be expected to be the "strong" one and continue to act as normal in the hope of supporting those he loves and cares for...yes they lost one daughter, but they still have two others that need love and attention. Unfortunately the world can't stop just because a bad thing happened to them. I think the negativity towards Robbie Parker is disgusting, apparently if he cries he is acting, yet if he laughs he's abnormal...what do people expect from the man?? There are many stages of grief, and we all grieve differently, yet luckily for most of us we don't have tv cameras in our faces expecting us to respond "appropriately"...give the man a break already!

blather blather blah blah
    Look up there. Yeah, up at the very top. Your thoughts about Steve's essay. Let me clarify: Your thoughts about Steve's essay.

Your soapboxing here is of interest to nobody but you. You're just the guy who pees in the pool.

For his next trick swampdonkeykid will tell us all what really happened on 9/11.............

Disgusting...........20 children and numerous adults still warm in their graves and there are people using this tragedy to try to create doubt in those peoples' minds who are gullible enough to believe it.

Go back to watching to Alex Jones, I'm sure he has a new video out with the latest "proof" on what really happened in CT.

Shameful doesn't begin to describe some of the nonsense I'm seeing......

Quote Originally Posted by Deb1960 View Post
    Lynn A Westmoreland, Member of Congress
    *quiet laughter*

Westmoreland... well that explains the computer-generated autoresponse.

In addition to having once described the Obamas as "uppity", Westmoreland's appearance on 'The Colbert Report' was unforgettable: during Colbert's 'Know Your Congressional District' with Westmoreland as his guest, Colbert asked if it was true that he was co-sponsoring a bill that would require the Bible's Ten Commandments to be posted in the House of Representatives and in the Senate Building. Westmoreland replied, "Yes." Colbert then asked, "Well, is there any other building other than a public building that should post the Ten Commandments?" Westmoreland replied, "No."
    Then came the punchline - Colbert asked Westmoreland, "Congressman, what are the Ten Commandments? Can you name them?"

Westmoreland's face went blank. About 6 seconds passed, which on a taped program is a *long* time. But Westmoreland eventually rose to the challenge and started with a vague list wherein he - a self-professed, dyed in the wool, born again Christian of the Southern fried... errrr, Baptist... variety - named four of them.... sort of.

But, you know, folks like 'im all the same, and he's managed to get himself re-elected once again. He may not know much about Bible basics, but when it comes to raising campaign finances and holding the line against them evil old Democrats and their evil old budget, he's a wizard

Deb1960 - I am so glad you wrote a letter. Thank you for sharing the response. I am sad to see that your representative seems to think that teaching values is going to help everything but I really appreciate that you tried. You are a good person.

Huh, the Vietnam vets I know didn't sit in a leather chair in Virginia controlling a drone with a joystick and dropping bombs on questionable targets? Hmmm?

Yeah, I get it, your guy is at the helm so it's ok to slaughter innocent kids. Pathetic and shameful...

and that sorry reply of yours, have I been against war my whole life? Seriously?
    Nope, they didn't. But my DAD, a Vietnam vet who was in recon and saw and did horrible things, still works for the Marines and is happy to do what he can to support protecting American life.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast