Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Your thoughts about Steve's essay - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Default Re: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Quote Originally Posted by JordyVerrill View Post
    Honestly, I think it's disgusting for someone to profit off of the recent gun tragedies. I don't understand why he's charging money to read his opinion on gun violence.

Perhaps, and I'm just best guessin' here butt only 'cause I really dig arranging words, then this might have been what you could have started with:
    ' "I don't understand why he's charging money to read his opinion on gun violence", could someone please enlighten me?'
    Well you know, somethin' like that.

I've received Steve's permission to post this and we'll be adding it to our announcements:

"...any money from the essay will go to one of the charities to benefit victims
    of gun violence. The idea that I'd profit from these tragedies is disgusting."

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by JordyVerrill View Post
    Honestly, I think it's disgusting for someone to profit off of the recent gun tragedies. I don't understand why he's charging money to read his opinion on gun violence.
    It's 99 cents. If he would have given this to Time or Newsweek, you'd be paying $5 or $6 to read it.

Thanks Ms. Mod. you handled this well as always. I for one admire that King continues to be so charity generous. Basically I feel he should have the privatcy to do as he pleases with what he writes. A very many years I have read his writings,

I've just finish reading the essay and must say Thank You to Stephen King for taking time to write his thoughts on guns and the issues that face us today.

May I please ask that we remember that here on the SKMB we need to follow the rule- "agree to disagree"

This essay is not only about guns and gun control. He clarified and explained why he pulled Rage. There are analogies that are so spot on- "culture of Kardashians", how there are contradictions between what a person does and how they vote for in Congress. One that resonates is the comparison of a spoon and gun- gun being a tool. The last part- No Solutions, Reasonable Measure spoke volumes.

Ms. Mod, I am always amazed by the grace in which you handle SK's business. You need a raise.

No, I am not brown-nosing

Default Re: Stephen King's "Guns"

I downloaded it (on the wrong account, so I might end up buying it twice) but will have to read it later. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I've received Steve's permission to post this and we'll be adding it to our announcements:

"...any money from the essay will go to one of the charities to benefit victims
    of gun violence. The idea that I'd profit from these tragedies is disgusting."
    Thanks to you and Stephen for releasing this information. I totally understand the not wanting to publicize giving to charity, if I were a public figure I would almost always keep my charitable donations private. But in some cases publicizing that information is warranted, and in my opinion this would be one of them. I didn't want to believe he would be profiting from this, but I can be very cynical I suppose. I can now with good conscious dust off me Kindle and download the essay and share my thoughts, if I have any about it that I think are worthy of discussing.

Default Re: Stephen King's "Guns"

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiaraus View Post
    It's my hope, though, that he eventually publishes this essay on the front page of his website or at least provides a link to the full essay: considering the importance of this issue, and the validity of the points King is making, this ought to be free for all to read.
    There will most likely be contractual obligations that may prevent that from happening at least for a while.
    Hope it isn't too long of a while... dinosaurs like me who don't believe in electronic money won't be able to read it until then, unless it comes out in hardcopy or something.

“The idea that I'd profit from these tragedies is disgusting."

Admirable as always! Now someone should relay that same type of message to Barack Obama' peeps and Joe Biden.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/201...n-raise-money/

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast