Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Your thoughts about Steve's essay - Page 29

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Default Re: Your thoughts about Steve's essay

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Hold up. I just read this. You came in here, posted this, and then expect sympathy because you feel MARGINALIZED? No. You don't get to walk in somewhere, call your host an ******* Nazi, and then pull the sympathy card.

I could make several points, but I will say only this: King's reference to Limbaugh as a reverend is not a slam on religion. It is a slam on Limbaugh and his followers, who frankly (assuming they self-identify as Christians, as I expect most of them do) are engaging in some heavy duty idolatry as well as hypocrisy, which they deserve to be called out on. They suck at the teat of that hate-pushing gasbag with a fervency that can only be described as worship while they are pretending to model the behavior of Jesus.
    Don't waste your keystrokes, Todash. Read his profile--he's in that oh so oppressed and persecuted minority class that only makes up a piffling 75% of all Americans. That's only three out of four--they're lucky they haven't been shipped off to the camps yet. I did hear that somebody found some Wal~Mart trucks loaded down with FEMA signs, though, so maybe soon.

Absolutely loved it. Everything i wanted to say to all the paranoid people out there screaming about them wanting to take away your guns!

Yea he is donating the proceeds to the brady foundation.

Do you realize how rude you are Walter? You come in here and say that Steve has his head up his arse. This is King's site where his books are discussed...where info is given on whats new and whats coming up...where folks can chat on the message board and discuss the things they have in common. This isn't a small democracy...this is an official site for a writer. I suppose we could listen over and over to folks who only come in here to cause trouble, but why bother? Notice the people who come in here to complain say that they once liked Steve but no more. Why in hell did they not come in when they still liked his work? They could have said hi. They would rather come in to piss and moan instead. I do not think that you learned many manners at your mother's knee.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Do you realize how rude you are Walter? You come in here and say that Steve has his head up his arse. This is King's site where his books are discussed...where info is given on whats new and whats coming up...where folks can chat on the message board and discuss the things they have in common. This isn't a small democracy...this is an official site for a writer. I suppose we could listen over and over to folks who only come in here to cause trouble, but why bother? Notice the people who come in here to complain say that they once liked Steve but no more. Why in hell did they not come in when they still liked his work? They could have said hi. They would rather come in to piss and moan instead. I do not think that you learned many manners at your mother's knee.
    You don't know anything about me. But I hope you are in good health and that your cancer problems are passing. I hope you live a long life and that you prosper.

I stand behind my initial post. I am not a yeehaw, as characterized by Stephen. I do not get all horny when I punch holes in paper. That YOU think these words are okay...as do others...says more about YOU than me, says more about Stephen King, than about honest gun owners. What did people expect? He said in his On Writing that he hasn't trucked much w/satire since that unpleasant experience...in high school, I think it was.

For Stephen to use the religious metaphors he used, speaks volumes. THOSE are the points I was raising. THOSE are the points I hadn't seen raised...other than the usual "gun nut" this, "crazy" that...

What in the hail did he write the essay for, if not to generate discussion? He said that if that happens, he has done his job.

Why take it out on me when I tell the world a view contrary to the one you hold?

Because you are sneaky and you tend to bear ill will to everybody in here. That is all you do.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Because you are sneaky and you tend to bear ill will to everybody in here. That is all you do.
    You don't know me at all.

And you do not know Stephen. I do. What you're claiming of him is so far off base as to be laughable. He was not attributing that description to ALL gun owners but there are ones who DO fit that description. It appears that somehow you've put yourself into that category as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    And you do not know Stephen. I do. What you're claiming of him is so far off base as to be laughable. He was not attributing that description to ALL gun owners but there are ones who DO fit that description. It appears that somehow you've put yourself into that category as well.
    Thank you. If that is the case, then I wish his words had been clear. As it stands, it it not clear. I'd like to believe my favorite writer--other than Harry Crews & Padgett Powell...Donald Justice...I'd like to believe that he is not that way. But I'm not going to apologize for reading it that way.

I hope you all have a wonderful, long, & prosperous life. I will trouble you no more.

You don't have to apologize for reading it that way but you might have at least asked for clarification before getting defensive and assuming it was as you interpreted it.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast