This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welfare Lottery Ban

Default Re: Welfare Lottery Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Is there really that big a problem with people on welfare pissing away their rent money on lottery tickets? Really?
    If there is I haven't heard of it before. In Kentucky the problem seems to be people pissing away the welfare money on oxycontin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    It's not your money, it's the government's money. The only decision you get to make about how it's used is when you cast your ballot.
    Sadly I agree with you. It’s no longer a “government of the people, by the people, for the people”… but now becasue of our recent choices in the elections is moving more towards “The State will take from each according to his ability: the State will give to each according to his needs.”

I think if they really want the lottery tickets. They would find away to get them. even if they had to have someone else purchase them. Just saying it is like with anything,if you really want it,you will find away.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    Sadly I agree with you. It’s no longer a “government of the people, by the people, for the people”… but now becasue of our recent choices in the elections is moving more towards “The State will take from each according to his ability: the State will give to each according to his needs.”
    That's the way it's always been--your taxes are not your money, and you have no say as an individual about how that money is spent. There was never some golden age when that was not the case.

If the government is so worried about what people do with money that comes from the government, they should also nag the wealthy corporations that get tax breaks/TARP money as to what they're doing with their money too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    If the government is so worried about what people do with money that comes from the government, they should also nag the wealthy corporations that get tax breaks/TARP money as to what they're doing with their money too, right?
    Well, sometimes they do. There was a big dust-up after the big bailout about some of the bailed-out companies giving huge bonuses to their executives. In the end, I think, most of the bonus money was given back, probably under threat of all holy hell coming down on their heads.

Hmm. Well, I'm fine with lottery being accessible to everyone. I don't care if someone's on welfare or not; the net result is that it's profitable for states that need the cash.

I'm not sure most welfare recipients are unmotivated enough to stay on welfare for the rest of their lives, because it sure pays less than disability and unemployment. So why not play the lottery every now and then? I doubt a lot of money is being squandered on the lottery by welfare recipients, as families of four receive roughly $500 a month, and individuals receive up to $200 a month. That's not a lot of cash for frivolities.

Even those on welfare should dream big, too.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I'll be hypocritical here (at least I'll admit it). I do like to play lotto some but still. I do not think that the government should be in the gambling business. I don't think anyone should be able to buy lottery tickets from the government.

Isn't it hilarious that the cash 3 game is the same exact game as the old illegal numbers game that used to be run by the mob?

There are alot of people who had to take government assistance for a short time in this economy. That does not make them "Lifers"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast