Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Welfare Lottery Ban - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welfare Lottery Ban

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Welfare Lottery Ban

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Isn't it hilarious that the cash 3 game is the same exact game as the old illegal numbers game that used to be run by the mob?
    I think the mob gave better odds too

LongTallSally Guest

Let people buy tickets. The people on welfare who buy tickets are making their own choice. I choose to blow my assistance money at the butcher shop, buying meat, which quite frankly isn't the best thing for me, but I do it anyway. I might buy one lotto ticket a month, just to try out a new one in case someone asks me about it at work when I am selling the tickets to someone else. I'm curious. I know it's a voluntary tax on the stupid which is why I spend so little on tickets, but it's cheaper than a movie, and if you stick an unscratched ticket on the fridge and leave it there for a while, it gives you lots of 'what if' blue sky time.

Are they going to start telling welfare recipients they are no longer able to enjoy a small packet of chips once in a while as well? What about cigarettes? Booze? I think law makers need to back off and leave people alone.

Not everyone who is on an government income is a lazy bum....many are unfortunate or ill or has been in the system since birth with no one clue or lifeskill on how to get out of it. Why not let them buy a lottery ticket? Afraid they will get above their station if they win? Everybody is equal as long as they know their place? I think a lot of these folks already have the self respect and stuffing knocked out of them....this will only make it worse. They are human beings with human rights...not indentured wards of the state. This ruling serves no purpose and makes not a damn lick of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    It's not a poverty tax--the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math.
    On one hand high on hope, and on the other, low statistical fortitude.

Let them both fill up as we observe their progress.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

The government officials are so responsible with money, they feel they need to tell everyone else how to be responsible with theirs.

This is the dumbest damned (sorry Ms. Mod) thing I've ever heard of. That's like telling all those people in line for the soup kitchen during the depression "ah sorry - no soup for you today. You're not worthy!" This is bull. Everyone - EVERYONE deserves a chance at their dream. I don't care if they picked up the dollar off the street. EVERYONE deserves a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    I'm better than you, so you need to start doing what I want you to do.
    Unfortunatley, too many of us view the world this way. Live and let live, Love and let love.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Not everyone who is on an government income is a lazy bum....many are unfortunate or ill or has been in the system since birth with no one clue or lifeskill on how to get out of it. Why not let them buy a lottery ticket? Afraid they will get above their station if they win? Everybody is equal as long as they know their place? I think a lot of these folks already have the self respect and stuffing knocked out of them....this will only make it worse. They are human beings with human rights...not indentured wards of the state. This ruling serves no purpose and makes not a damn lick of sense.
    Very well put

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123