This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Pictures Are So Cute

Default Re: Cat Pictures Are So Cute

One of my cats makes that chattering noise, too! He never wants to go out, though. The other one, he likes to escape outside, but he always turns around and comes right back in. It's like he gets a good look at how big everything is out there and decides, Nope!

We have had 2 incidents though, where a bird has wiggled their way into the house where the air conditioner is. I don't know how they get through there, but it's happened twice. Oh boy, did they ever go nuts! The first time it happened, they chased the bird down into the basement, and we were hot on their heels, trying to save the bird. We ended up losing it for about 30 minutes in my library, but it was hiding up on top of one of my bookcases amid all of my bears. The second time it happened was just a couple of weeks ago, during that really, really cold snap we had, and I think the poor bird just was too cold to fly, he was easy to catch and let back outside before the kitties got him.

I've had a couple of strays around lately and it is amazing to watch them fight off the coons. According to these strays the front porch has become their domain and no coon shall enter. All the cats are indoor cats- they have a massive screened in porch to "observe" wildlife. When we did allow them access to the woods, they mainly caught mice, lizards, and bugs. Never seemed interested in birds or the rabbits. Ever see a cat play with a Florida gopher(turtle)? Pure fun.

Hopefully indoor cats are good pest control. I wonder how many animals are killed by other predators over the course of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    One of my cats makes that chattering noise, too! He never wants to go out, though. The other one, he likes to escape outside, but he always turns around and comes right back in. It's like he gets a good look at how big everything is out there and decides, Nope!

We have had 2 incidents though, where a bird has wiggled their way into the house where the air conditioner is. I don't know how they get through there, but it's happened twice. Oh boy, did they ever go nuts! The first time it happened, they chased the bird down into the basement, and we were hot on their heels, trying to save the bird. We ended up losing it for about 30 minutes in my library, but it was hiding up on top of one of my bookcases amid all of my bears. The second time it happened was just a couple of weeks ago, during that really, really cold snap we had, and I think the poor bird just was too cold to fly, he was easy to catch and let back outside before the kitties got him.
    I sure hope those bears are of the 'stuffed' variety, otherwise you got a much more serious problem than a bird flying around your house........

Ours are all indoors, but they do rather enjoy watching the birds. They would get them if they could, but I strongly suspect, after watching how ineptly they handled the one mouse they have ever seen, that the birds would remain among the living even if the cats were outside.

Our old cat Ace used to chatter at geese from inside. I was always like, "Really, Ace? A 15 pound goose, huh? Yeah, you bad, you bad. I'm sure you could take it. It's just a shame I won't let you." Ah well. Let the old cat dream.

Okay, I have two inside cats. I purposely hung two bird feeders right by a window where my cats could jump up on a table and watch them. They were hanging off a Shephard's crook arm thingy, and there are bushes all around them.

Well, one day, my cats were sleeping off some kitty treat bender so more birds were coming to the feeders (because they didn't see cat eyes staring at them) and I was sitting on the couch, watching T.V., watching the birds come to the feeder. The next thing I knew, this big black thing literally leapt straight up from below the window and grabbed a bird. Needless to say, it was a cat. I was devastated that the cat timed his brutal kill for me to see. (I know he did it on purpose.)

Anyway, I immediately got up, got in my car and drove to Home Depot where I purchased these 4 foot tall decorative metal trellis things and literally cordoned off the bird feeders so NO cat could sneak through the bushes and kill them without a lot of noise and bother.

I also had a ratty old barn cat once who was very sick and I nursed her back to health who used to bring me gophers in tribute. I'd walk out my front door and these gopher guts would be literally splayed out all over and she'd be sitting there all patient, waiting for me to praise her. I would tell her thanks, and to clean up the mess before I got back. She always did. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Even though he's inside and there's no chance he could get to them, our cat gets quite agitated and makes this weird chattering noise when he sees one getting too close to his window.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Yup, that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Our neighbor's cats are of the killer variety--ours is an indoor cat. We've had at least one pair of cardinals for several years that we've been able to protect so far but not for lack of trying on the part of their cats and we have lost other birds because of them. Unfortunately, nothing we can do about it other than try to be vigilant and shoo them off when we see them in our yard.
    You forgot the "t", Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    You forgot the "t", Mod.
    That would be my partner. I shoo, he gets the paintball gun. He doesn't aim for them, just in their general direction, although if they ever do catch one of the cardinals he might not be as forgiving.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast