Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Cat Pictures Are So Cute - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cat Pictures Are So Cute

Default Re: Cat Pictures Are So Cute

Okay, I have to tell this story.

My brother hates cats. Hates them. We've had cats since we were little and the only reason I think he hates them so bad is my mother was attacked by one when I was a little girl. I came home from school to find my mother sitting on the couch with blood all over her leg, covered! She was waiting for my brother to get home to go to the hospital. So, I think that's when he started hating cats because she was really hurt.

Anyway, I digress, in his old age, he's gotten a little softer and now has 2 cats and they are indoor/outdoor variety. Both were strays, one was on death's door and crawled to him out in the middle of nowhere while he was working. He couldn't leave it.

So, one day, he's looking out the door and way down the street he sees one of his cats coming home with something in his mouth. My brother called my SIL to come see his The Great Mouser Cat, his cat! Apparently my brother was like a proud father, his "son" was bringing home a mouse for them to see.

Well, he got home alright, and when he dropped his "kill", it was his toy mouse that he had taken with him FROM HOME AND BACK when he did his little walkabout.

Now, how smart is that? You take your toys out to play and you bring them home. That cat's a keeper.

Did your SIL give your brother a hard time about it?

They laughed pretty good and my brother talked to the cat saying he embarrassed him in front of his neighbors. (he was kidding, he thought it was hysterical.)

And, just so you know, you are allowed to feed your mousers. My MIL would get super mad at me for feeding the barn cats because she said they wouldn't mouse if they were fed. Well, wrong. They are predators as we've established. THey see a mouse, they aren't going to lay there and say, "Hmmm, I just ate, I don't think I'll chase that mouse." They will, because that's what cats do.

Also, if you were hungry and not feeling real great, would you feel like hunting? NO. When I fed the barn cats, their kills increased! because they wanted to show me what they got. Always. Gophers, birds, mice -- they would lay these at my feet (especially the sick one who I helped). If they could have held sticks, they would have been fanning me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I"m not a big cat person but I do like to have them in the barn. When my daughter was married in October, she took the cats with her to live in the barn where she is now. I waited a few weeks to see if any strays showed up and when they didn't, I found out that one of the Animal Shelters close by will allow people to adopt cats but they would also give away "mousers" to people with barns for free. These were the cats ranging from didn't like to be handled to almost wild. I called and they came out and set up cages in the barn, told us to feed them for a couple of weeks and then let them out. Seems to be working well and I think it is a good program. Much better than the alternative.

Is there a problem when someone puts down d-con or something like that? I guess you just don't do it if you have a cat. ?

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    Hopefully indoor cats are good pest control. I wonder how many animals are killed by other predators over the course of a year.
    Yup - they are good pest control. My two Siamese have caught a couple of mice and this is their biggest thrill. They have never been outside and we feed them well, so it's just an instinct naturally. They LOVE mice! Speaking of other predators, we have found rabbits (or parts of their carcasses) in the back yard. Once I saw a type of falcon sitting up on the side of the house. It was pretty cool. After that I found a pile of feathers on the ground. We have these little birds that live in our grape vines that go up the side of the house so I guess that was lunch. My hubby saw something that he said looked like a skinny yellow dog with a long tail so I am pretty sure he saw a coyote. It leaped over a 5 1/2 foot fence and took off. It's amazing what sort of wildlife is in the city actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    And, just so you know, you are allowed to feed your mousers. My MIL would get super mad at me for feeding the barn cats because she said they wouldn't mouse if they were fed.
    Ours gets fed. I don't believe in starving any animal.

Remember cats keep mice out of your vicinity as well.

This is from a vet link. My daughter is a vet tech and has seen many cats/dogs poisoned by d-con. the smaller/younger the cat or dog, the more dangerous it can be to them. Use a regular mouse trap if possible.

D-Con and other forms of mouse or rodent poison is a very common accidental poison for dogs and cats. Many people do not realize it takes up to 2 days for the poison to kill the mouse, allowing a lot of opportunity for the mouse to leave the area and enter places that dogs and cats might find it, either alive or after death from the poison.

Dogs and cats that eat the poisoned mouse also become poisoned and won't show symptoms until they are in a critical vet emergency! Rodent poison, such as D-Con, tastes good so many dogs will eagerly gobble it up if given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Who says cats aren't negatively influenced by watching Stephen King movies...?

Attachment 16737

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast