Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What if? - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What if?

Default Re: What if?

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    I got the information here (but something tells me you already might have know that ). I did not authenticate the statistics, but looking at the author’s credentials -- which are extremely impressive IMO, I would say I believe what his statistics show. I’ve also heard him interviewed on the radio. Regardless of that fact, that is why I noted that “I read” the information, rather than stating it as absolute fact. But if you are skeptical, or y’all are in need of more research material up there in Bangorlandia, I’m sure a phone call from you or your boss to him would generate a wealth of information. And I think he’d take your call, especially on this matter… and whom in their right mind wouldn’t want to talk to Stephen King?

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

Talking to Steve is just another day in Bangorlandia and I do my own research for these types of posts.

Yes, the author of the article certainly does seem to have posted a lot of credentials about himself. I'm just curious as to where all these mass murders have occurred that no one has heard about that he's somehow able to list as statistics. His points may resonate for you but this is where we'll have to part ways into the agreeing to disagree territory because I still think it's setting up a far more dangerous situation and environment for our children to think that guns and more guns in schools are the answer instead of dealing with the alternatives that are possible for future protection of not just our children, but all citizens. We need to change the attitudes and culture of our country in order to make any meaningful progress. Silly me, I thought we were capable of evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I still think it's setting up a far more dangerous situation and environment for our children to think that guns and more guns in schools are the answer
    Amen!

Yes Ms. Mod this is territory that we need to just agree to disagree. And no, you're not being silly. You just seem to have a higher idealistic outlook on people here than I do.

Yes Ms. Mod this is territory that we need to just agree to disagree. And no, you're not being silly. You just seem to have a higher idealistic outlook on people here than I do.
    I'd like to think we can, or at the very least try to, raise the bar for meeting expectations rather than lowering it.

I appreciate your honesty. Do you think a common ground can be reached, or are the differences too great for a compromise that would be satisfactory to both sides?
    I don't know, to be honest. My gut tells me that common ground can't be reached on that, and I won't personally lobby any time soon for the Second Amendment to be repealed.

Here's what I propose in the meantime:

1. All gun owners must register their guns and pay a fee for an operator's license. It will happen every year like car registration does.
    2. All gun owners must prove they've passed a lengthy gun operations and safety class.

For example: a German driver’s license costs over $2000, after a minimum of 25-45 hours of *mandatory* professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory. P.S. - you get to pay for driver's ed, too; it is not offered in the secondary public school system. (from The German Way & More; http://www.german-way.com/driving.html) The Germans are arguably the best drivers in Europe because they take their driver's ed so seriously.

Ergo: if you take gun education seriously, you'll have better gun operators.

The jury's still out on what to do about the mentally ill. It would be a direct violation of doctor-patient confidentiality and HIPAA laws in all 50 states to make it mandatory for all psychiatrists and psychologists to register patients whom they think are potentially violent with a national database of some sort, not to mention a violation of civil rights. It paves an ugly path to all kinds of discriminatory acts and measures. I think it's important to find some kind of protective measure against people deemed potentially dangerous by professionals, but where that happy medium lies is anyone's guess at this point.

People who are judged to be a danger to themselves or others can almost always be forced to get treatment in the United States. The procedures vary from state to state. However, there are laws which protect mentally ill persons from being committed against their will. The procedure by which a person is involuntarily committed to an institution under a civil or criminal statute is subject to the due process clause of the 14th Amendment. Courts have maintained that such statutes must bear some reasonable relation to the purpose for which the individual is committed. Those are slippery slopes and very precarious cases to defend, so we don't hear much about so-and-so celebrity being committed these days like we did back when Frances Farmer was being lobotomized. It's just that much more difficult to achieve.

I believe that high-capacity magazines and assault rifles should be banned. The fewer guns there are out there, the fewer tragedies. It's a numbers game, just like it is with drunk drivers on New Year's Eve.

I have no idea how to stop gun smuggling into the U.S., though. That would demand a higher number of ICE agents, law enforcement, and border patrol, I would imagine. It's not just at the borders, though; I'm sure there are lots of guns smuggled in to the U.S. via our ports.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...to quote the estimable Foghorn Leghorn..."Boy's got a mouth like a cannon, always shootin' it off!"...
    Which is actually quite a trick in my case seeing that my foot is usually in it.........

Lily, thanks for your thoughts.

I’ll only address one for now, and one that is high on the agenda and in the minds of many… high capacity magazines. It just doesn’t make sense to me limiting them to 10 rounds. We keep hearing there is no need to have more than 10 rounds for defensive weapons. My question then becomes... why not then limit police to ten also? After all, aren’t their handguns defensive weapons?

I’ve read that statistically less than one out of four shots fired from handguns by trained police will hit their target in the kind of situation we are all talking about. Now the average citizen is nowhere as capable and accurate as a trained officer. Therefore statistically, out of 10 rounds, we can only expect no more than one or two hitting the intended target. That may not be enough to stop a serious and life-endangering threat. And if that’s the case you better hope to heaven there aren’t two assailants intended on doing harm.

Ahhh yes, my sister told me she was reading this "Guns" essay by King, I cannot wait to read it. Being a full time student who is a single mom and returning adult(for the 2nd time) I have an opinion on gun control. What I have read here so far leads me to believe King & I agree on the subject. I am still not sure what to expect but as a constant ready am very ready to read his opinion on this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234